Google Edition Android 4.2.2 ROM

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
There's already a thread about it in the rooting section, however, I have installed it yesterday and I am absolutely loving it so far. The HTC One with Sense 5 is already pretty fast, however with the Google Edition ROM (and I am talking about the debug-codeless, deodexed one by TrickDroid) it's like you're using a whole new device, perhaps the fastest I have ever used. Not only that, but it's also extremely responsive and everything seems great. Sense 5 does have a couple of nice features that I miss, including BlinkFeed (although it is not good enough to make me consider flashing a Sense-based ROM again) as well as the sleek HTC weather clock widget that we've all gotten used to over the years (that is if you've been a HTC user for a while) and last but not least the camera; that being said, however, the GE's camera is great and packs some very nice features, including Photosphere, and its notification pull down also has EQS although the stock JellyBean rather than the Sense one (which can easily be flashed if you want it) and also has an application called Google Currents which very much resembles BlinkFeed so you will not actually be missing out.

One thing I dislike about it is that there are no homescreen preferences, as in you cannot choose how many pages you want and such, however that's all been fixed by using Nova Launcher which is an amazing launcher, I must admit and is very much stock, you won't even feel like you're using a different launcher than the stock one. Here are a couple of screenshots.

By the way, the transparent app drawer and red notification icon on the Google folder are by Nova Launcher and do not come with the stock launcher. Transparent app drawer looks a whole lot better than the stock solid one, I must say, especially because I love this green wallpaper. Oh and did I mention? That analong clock is so retro and awesome, lol.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-06-28-08-38-59.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-06-28-08-38-59.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot_2013-06-28-08-32-23.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-06-28-08-32-23.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot_2013-06-28-08-32-09.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-06-28-08-32-09.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 49

markfireblade97

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Will you still be able to get the HTC firmware update that has camera and capacitive key improvements? Also, if I do rooting etc and install this Rom (a new experience for me) will I be able to do S-off?

Posted via Android Central App

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
1) no because this isnt an official odexed Google Edition ROM. 2) S-OFF requires nothing but an unlocked bootloader.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Yes, if you're rooted you're not allowed to update over-the-air.

What do you mean by unlock from the carrier? You mean SIM unlock in order to be able to use it with other carriers? I am pretty sure that's possible with S-OFF however I am not sure how it is done. I'd search and ask on XDA-Developers, I am sure you'll come up with something.

flayzeraynx

May 6, 2013
Visit site
thank you for the info
somehow my camera and some other apps stop to working and says "no external storage found"... i couldn't find any solution yet.. :/

update: found solution!

system > apps > all > gallery > disable then clear cache and clear data.. restart device, voila!

Last edited:

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Hey there. Sorry I do not use that ROM anymore so I am not sure what the font was. I'd ask on the Google Edition section of this forum, I'm sure someone can tell you.

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Google Edition is basically stock Android with gapps installed. Gapps can be installed on basically any device. Google them. You'd need to have a custom recovery to install them but you can do so and then reflash stock recovery and you're good to go.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
What is your Android phone? Are you the one who has a LG? As I said in the other thread, Google Edition ROM is basically stock Android with GAPPS installed. GAPPS are Google applications like Gmail, YouTube, Google Search, Google+ and such. You can search "gapps" for your device and install them via custom recovery or just manually install Google applications from the Playstore, that is IF you have a playstore (which also comes with gapps).

EDIT: I am talking about these gapps: Google Apps (Gapps) - Download Latest Gapps for Android

Those are for CynanogenMod ROM, though, so I am not sure if they'd work on yours.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza