To S-off or not?

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
There are so many reasons to go S-OFF.

Some are listed here: xda-developers - View Single Post - [S-OFF]Development

One reason I like is that it lets me easily change CID and also not have to go through the whole HTCDev process of unlocking the bootloader, I could just type "fastboot oem unlock" and it's done. Going SuperCID also lets you install any RUU you want regardless of your region or model ID.

There are a lot of other reasons. If you don't feel that it is necessary for something specific, then you shouldn't really bother. I did it because I wanted to install a RUU and remove the tampered as well as "RELOCKED" statuses - with S-OFF you can restore the lock status to "locked" rather than "relocked" with S-ON.

anon(26204)

May 24, 2010
Visit site
There are so many reasons to go S-OFF.

Some are listed here: xda-developers - View Single Post - [S-OFF]Development

One reason I like is that it lets me easily change CID and also not have to go through the whole HTCDev process of unlocking the bootloader, I could just type "fastboot oem unlock" and it's done. Going SuperCID also lets you install any RUU you want regardless of your region or model ID.

There are a lot of other reasons. If you don't feel that it is necessary for something specific, then you shouldn't really bother. I did it because I wanted to install a RUU and remove the tampered as well as "RELOCKED" statuses - with S-OFF you can restore the lock status to "locked" rather than "relocked" with S-ON.

So when you S-off and say you relock the bootloader down the road but later decide you want to unlock the bootloader again, you don't have to go through HTC Dev?

You can just fastboot own unlock...like a nexus device?

If this is the case, I definitely didn't know this..

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
So when you S-off and say you relock the bootloader down the road but later decide you want to unlock the bootloader again, you don't have to go through HTC Dev?

You can just fastboot own unlock...like a nexus device?

If this is the case, I definitely didn't know this..

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4 Beta
No you dont need to either, s-off = permanent unlocked bootloader no matter what it says at the top. You can also go back to s-on by the fastboot write secureflag command but who would want to...lol