HTC One Developer Edition

mikemyers

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I've been searching the forum for a general discussion thread on the HTC One Developer Edition, but haven't been able to find one. If there is such a thread, I'll ask for this thread to be removed, and ask in the existing thread. After several searches though, i couldn't find one.

I have more difficult questions, but let me start with the easy ones.

After returning an HTC One Google Edition this morning (it has issues), I ordered the 64-gig Developer Edition. It's not that much more money, is "missing" the same radios as the GE, and from what I've read, it should make it easier to customize when/if I am ready to do so.

• First question - where do updates come from? Do I need to search for them myself, or will I receive them direct from HTC?
  • Second question - while the phone seems to be designed to make it easy to modify, would doing this void the warranty? I assume the phone can be brought back to as-new condition, but if something electronical or mechanical should fail during the first year, that warranty might be very helpful.
  • I would have preferred to have the "stock" Google software in place. Is there any chance that I might be allowed to (somehow) install HTC's version of the Nexus experience? I've read that there are custom ROMs that do this, but I'm guessing that gets back to the question of voiding the warranty.
  • Last question for now - is there a discussion here or elsewhere, that goes through the steps of installing a new ROM, but not only says "what to do", but also "why - what does each step accomplish"? Just about everything I read is way over my head. Even the YouTube videos leave me shaking my head, even when I pause for each step. None of the ones (no pun intended...) I've found so far explain what is being accomplished in each step.

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
1) I am sure there's a "Software Updates" setting where OTA updates are pushed directly by HTC. I also know that the updates are usually available on the HTC Dev website.
2) You should read the ToS on HTC Developer Edition devices. I am sure that since the bootloader is unlocked, you should be able to fiddle with custom ROMs and such with no problems and still get it replaced under warranty if something goes wrong. Why else would it be a developer edition?
3) You can most likely flash a stock Google Edition ROM from the Google Edition Ones without voiding the warranty because it will be official by HTC and stock unless you root it.
4) I have found this to be the best guide - I have read and seen A LOT before!

I know my answers probably don't help you since a lot of them are based on speculation. Sorry!

mikemyers

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the information, and especially for the link. I will work my way through it tonight and tomorrow. Maybe that will give me the answers I need.

I'm lost with one thing you wrote: "You can most likely flash a stock Google Edition ROM from the Google Edition Ones without voiding the warranty ....... unless you root it." It's probably a complete misunderstanding on my part, but doesn't someone have to "root" a phone in order to make any of these changes? I've just always assumed that, but apparently I'm wrong?

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Any time. No, flashing a ROM only requires two things: an unlocked bootloader (which you already have since you ordered the Developer Edition) and a custom recovery unless it's a RUU.

Google Edition Stock Recovery, Bootloader, RUU Zip and Conversion Process - Page 34 - xda-developers

Check that thread out. It has the Google Edition's stock recovery, bootloader, RUU and conversion process. I have never tried RUU zips before, I always used RUU executables, but I believe that they require a custom recovery as well. However, that's okay because you can always flash the stock recovery again whenever you want. I believe that recoveries are different from each One to the other because they are dependent on the variant, model and such, but you can Google "HTC One Developer Edition stock recovery" and I am sure you'll come up with several links on XDA-developers, or just search there directly.

If you decide to fully transform your device into a Google Edition, I do not know what will happen to the warranty in all honesty, since you'll need to go S-OFF (security flag OFF) in order to change the CID of the device, so it'll basically be like selling your device and getting a Google Edition one (the opposite of what you did, lol).

I hope the information I provided was clear. If you have any more questions regarding this or find anything unclear let me know. The bottom line is that you can flash a stock Google Edition ROM (like in the RUU zip in the thread I linked or get one from the Android Development section of XDA-developers) then flash the stock recovery of the Developer Edition and you'll basically be stock; rooting is something entirely different.

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Sent you a message.

If you enjoy the stock android experience yet also enjoy what sense has to offer, you are in luck. A dual boot option is in the works. Users will be able to boot into either a sense based ROM or a GPE Rom. They will also utilize the same apps & user data. I signed up for the Beta. I hope I get picked :)

HTC One - Unlocked, ARHD 12, Bulletproof Kernel, Several mods.
Nexus 7 - Cyanogenmod
Tab 2 7 - Cyanogenmod

mikemyers

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I've been struggling to understand this stuff for well over a week now (plus all the times in the past), but you've done more to clear things up in five minutes than everything I've seen before all lumped together. Thanks!

(Is it correct to say that the reason people want to "root" a phone is to allow them to unlock the bootloader?)

I have no idea yet what an RUU or "custom recovery" is, but maybe after reading your links, I'll understand this better. All this is just so I can catch up with you guys a little, so I'll understand what is going on. Learning how to actually do it can follow later.

Truthfully, I don't know any way to get what I really want. I'd like to have the missing radios, but unless I buy the phone from T-Mobile, that's not possible. I'd like to have the stock Android configuration, but I've read that some components on the phone (such as the camera) won't work to their potential unless we use the special software developed by HTC as part of "Sense". Despite the reviews I've read, I don't know if I accept that, as none of the reviews that show sample images provide the exposure settings for those images. Maybe my biggest complaint is losing 20% of my five home screens to something I would hardly ever use - Blinky is great for those who want it, but it needs to be able to be turned off when not wanted.

Yesterday I watched the video of how "Switch" will allow an HTC One to switch back and forth between Sense and GE, and I signed up for the test period (telling them how little I know about this).

One last question before I log off here and start reading - bricking. If the "only" thing we are trying to do is load custom ROM's, can this "brick" a phone if one makes a mistake? Or, even if something goes wrong, can one always recover a working ROM from a backup? I keep reading about people "bricking" a phone - is this from errors in rooting the phone, or is it still a big concern in changing a ROM?

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
It is not correct to say that rooting allows people to unlock the bootloader because rooting actually requires an unlocked bootloader. Rooting basically allows you full access to system files and also allows you to use certain applications like Titanium Backup, Greenify and others. Read more about it here: Android rooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A RUU is an executable file by HTC (specific to your device and carrier) that requires a locked bootloader and it basically restores your device to factory state as the day you bought it. It restores original bootloader, ROM, recovery and wipes everything on your SD card, so it's like buying a brand new device. You can find the RUU specific for your device here: AndroidFiles RUU or [COLLECTION] HTC M7 RUU, OTA, and Stock Nandroid Downloads - xda-developers

People usually use RUUs if they made a bad flash, soft bricked their device or just want to go back to full stock state in order to receive and update OTA (over the air).

I am by no means a photographer or even an enthusiast, but I must say that the quality of the pictures looks the same to me taken with Sense camera and also with the Google Edition camera. To me it seems like Sense just has more features, most importantly and notably "Zoe" which you can Google to read about - it just enhances pictures and has some photo/video editing tools that seem cool, but they're not for me. I actually install the Google Edition camera and gallery applications even on Sense-based ROMs (if you want to do that let me know and I'll provide you with a link).

Yeah I heard about MoDaCo's switch and it seems awesome. I cannot wait for it to be released.

I would be lying if I said that flashing custom ROMs would never brick your device because there have been incidents of that happening. There is a difference between soft bricking and hard bricking, though, and usually if a bad flash happens you'll be soft bricked (meaning you can still access bootloader and recovery) and then you can use a RUU to recover the device. Hard bricking means you have a paperweight and you will not be able to use that device anymore, however that usually happens in more advanced modifications of the device like disabling security flag, flashing a different HBOOT and similar things.

I hope this made things clear.

mikemyers

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Your links are very informative!

I see where unlocking the bootloader means some of the stock apps are lost, and the phone won't do OTA updates. I assume none of this applies, when it is HTC who is already providing an unlocked bootloader?

Thanks again for posting the links..... I wish I had found this ages ago!

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
You're correct, your bootloader is already unlocked so you do not need to mess with that. Even when receiving OTA updates you do not need to lock the bootloader as yours is a Developer Edition. If you have any more questions let me know, I sure am glad I was able to provide some information - I am pretty much an Android enthusiast coming from iPhones and BlackBerry devices. :)

mikemyers

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Just curious - given that HTC is providing the One Developer Edition for pretty much the same price as a standard phone, and including 64 gigs of memory, given the choice, why would anyone now purchase anything other than the Developer Edition?

• I know the price is more than the subsidized price of a standard One, but it allows people to pay less per month, and in two years time, they end up saving money. So that's probably not the reason.
  • It's probably not because someone wants the "Sense" operating system, as it already has that.
  • For those who want a Nexus-like phone, apparently they can configure it that way too.
  • It comes direct from HTC, with a 15-day return policy and a 30-day exchange policy, so that wouldn't discourage anyone?
  • It does lack the extra radio for T-Mobile 3G, so that might be a valid reason.
  • It's SIM unlocked, which means that will never be an issue.
  • It only comes in silver - maybe that might turn someone off...

For someone who isn't using CDMA, and who didn't already have a One, knowing all the above, why would anyone buy a different version? (In my case, I got the Google Edition first, but knowing what I've learned since then, had I known all this before, I would have gone for the Developer Edition.)

mikemyers

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
TarekElsakka, one (hopefully simple) question.

I think I've learned that one doesn't need to "root" a phone such as the HTC One Developer Edition, to change the operating system (because of the unlocked bootloader).

The website you suggested I read, "Android rooting - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia" , says the following:
"Rooting is often performed with the goal of overcoming limitations that carriers and hardware manufacturers put on some devices, resulting in the ability to alter or replace system applications and settings, run specialized apps that require administrator-level permissions, or perform other operations that are otherwise inaccessible to a normal Android user. On Android, rooting can also facilitate the complete removal and replacement of the device's operating system, usually with a more recent release of its current operating system."

What I'm having trouble understanding, is the difference between using the unlocked bootloader to change the OS, and "rooting". Presumably, the unlocked bootloader already allows me to change the ROM to any of the huge number of ROMs I'm reading about for the HTC One. That's what I'm currently trying to read up on, and understand.

Since that doesn't require rooting the phone, what things might someone want to do to an HTC One that *would* require rooting the phone? What is the difference?

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I purchased the DE 64GB a few weeks ago and have done all of things required and I had to learn a lot to do them. I am accustomed to rooting and custom recovery but everything else was new to me since I haven't had an HTC device in years.

You originally had a GPe and returned it and smartly so got the DE which you have the full freedom to convert to a GPe BUT with 64GB (if you got that one). With an unlocked device you can root, add custom recovery (I use TWRP) which allows you to flash other ROMs including GPe ROMs or Sense 5 ROMs. With S-Off you can do even more like flash other Radio's and FW upgrades like 2.24.401.1. It comes down to what you want to do with your device, you are only limited by your choices and abilities.

Before you do anything I would suggest reading the HTC One section at xda-developers there are a great many threads about rooting, flashing, converting your DE to a GPe Google Edition Stock Recovery, Bootloader, RUU Zip and Conversion Process - xda-developers and so on.

Any case feel free to ask questions I will help if I can and point you to a great many links I have compiled and keep backed up so I can fix and find what I need.

mikemyers

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the reply - I've almost felt like I'm the only one who actually bought a Developer Edition. Yes, my Google Edition will be shipped back to Google this coming Tuesday, the day after my Developer Edition is supposed to arrive. I figure the DE is a good choice if for no other reason than that it has 64 gigs of memory. Maybe in a few months, I'll be able to understand what you wrote as clearly as when I read things in the photography forums. Here's what you just wrote that I will be looking up tonight:
  • TWRP - all I know so far is that I need a "recovery" to install different ROMs. I don't know what TWRP represents yet.
  • S-Off - no idea yet what that is or does.
  • "flash other Radio's" ...... why would this be useful?
  • FW upgrades - is that because once we change the phone, Firmware Updates will no longer come from HTC ?

I'm participating in these forums to try to learn what's going on. You and the others make it easier for me (and I assume other noobies) as everyone has to start somewhere. I might know "more" than most of my friends know, but realistically speaking, if this forum was a "school", I'm still in kindergarten!

I'm in no hurry to do anything to my new device. Maybe in a few months (years?) I'll feel more comfortable about this. Also, it probably doesn't make sense for me to change anything on the phone until I learn what the HTC "Sense" does - I've never used it, other than people showing me phones that have it.

Then again, I read that last link you posted. What caught my eye was:

"If you read the post and still don't understand what to do then I advise you to leave your phone alone..."

I'm beginning to think that for me, the safest thing to do is leave my phone alone, and buy a used "practice" phone to learn on. Maybe I can find something reasonably good, but with a cracked screen making it inexpensive enough to play around with. Until I can understand the instructions, I have no business doing any of this.... :-(

amroa

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Mike, I have a DE as well, and have been learning like you. I came from owning all but the first iPhone and playing around with jailbreaking. Don't get overwhelmed. Start small, like rooting and obtaining s-off. Google qbking77. He's got good videos on unlocking rooting and obtaining s-off. Of course, you don't need to unlock, but the video is helpful in understanding software needed on your PC. When you get comfortable with those, you can move on to trying different ROMs. then you can try making your phone pure GE.

Posted via Android Central App

mikemyers

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, amroa. I've decided to start by reading everything, and asking a lot of questions, and when I feel a bit more confident, first try these ideas out on my older phone a Samsung Galaxy Nexus which I'm replacing with the HTC One.

I'm no longer sure I want "stock" GE. It will never be a "Nexus" no matter what I do, and while I want some things from the "Nexus Experience" I'm not sure I am not going to enjoy some things from "Sense". The single biggest objection I have to Sense is wasting one of my (only) five home screens to the Blinky app. For that matter, why limit myself to only five home screens?

Trying to "start small" sounds like a wonderful plan. I'm leaving for India in a couple of months. I have a friend there who already does some of these things. I hope to spend a lot of time with him, watching what he does.

BrianBailey

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
mikemyers, BTW, I too have a DE. Lots of us do - you aren't alone here. :) You can get rid of blinkfeed, and increase your homescreens just by using Nova launcher. Super easy

mikemyers

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
BrianBailey, I've got to learn a lot more, and maybe practice with another phone, before I think I'm ready to try to change the One. Over the past week or so, I've gotten to enjoy the phone as-is, and have even accepted Blinky as something potentially useful. While I used to want a "pure Google" experience, as in the Google Edition One, I now prefer HTC's version - almost everything just "works"!

The only annoyance right now is that the One doesn't play nice with Google - all my high-res contact photos get lost somewhere, and I end up looking at crude half-tone type images, as if from an old newspaper photo viewed with a magnifying glass.

Even the limited number of home screens stopped being a problem, as HTC has added a "+" within any app folders, making it effortless to add lots more apps to the folder. Trying this manually, dropping an app into a folder, is a battle of frustration - most times I try it, the folder scoots away, making it difficult to get the app to go into the folder!

Truthfully, right now, the only really annoying thing to me about the DE version of the One, is that HTC left out one of the T-Mobile radios. Maybe in a year or so, when T-Mobile gets their new network set up, this will no longer be an issue...... maybe!

pFunk027

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
mikemyers - I am kind of in the same boat as you. I bought the DE via preorder and still haven't taken advantage of anything in terms of loading a ROM, etc. All I did was buy it and slap a T-Mobile sim into it and here I am.

I am having some issues with LTE, though and my hope is that the latest TMobile update hopefully fixes that.

WIth that being said, before I start flashing custom ROMs, can I simply just run the official TMobile RUU that is out there and it will update my radio as well? My understanding is I don't even have to do anything to the already unlocked DE phone in order to do this, correct?

The stuff here is helpful. I am learning things as well, so I appreciate the thread.

mikemyers

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
mikemyers - I am kind of in the same boat as you. I bought the DE via preorder and still haven't taken advantage of anything in terms of loading a ROM, etc. All I did was buy it and slap a T-Mobile sim into it and here I am. I am having some issues with LTE, though and my hope is that the latest TMobile update hopefully fixes that.

Can you elaborate on what problems you are having with LTE? Maybe they are the same as mine.

I have been using the phone in and around Miami mostly, and a few other places. Over the past few weeks, LTE keeps improving. Apparently T-Mobile is providing it in more and more places. They are also changing some of the frequencies, which means we may be able to get improved 3G coverage, rather than dropping from LTE to 2G. The big problem as I see it, is that the non-T-Mobile-branded phones lack one of the radios that make the phone most useful on T-Mobile - at least until when/if T-Mobile makes the changes to the frequencies they broadcast on, which is happening, but slowly.

For me at least, the unlocked bootloader isn't really useful until I actually decide to make use of it, and change the phone. Still, you and I may lack that missing radio, but we gain by having twice the memory!

For whatever it's worth, I complained about how difficult I found it to merge apps into folders, but the "+" function in folders makes it extremely easy to do so - much nicer than with "pure android".

Maybe you can check something - were any of your contact photos high-res images on Google, and if so, do they show up as high-res on your One D.E. ? For me, they all show up as low res images, with the half-tone effect to make them less nasty. The only way I found to get them to show up as high-res on my phone was to add the images all over again, doing it on the One. Then they showed up on my other phones and on Google as well. It didn't work the other way 'round.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair