CWM backup problems

nstirton

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys,

I successfully rooted my One yesterday, but before I start flashing ROMs I obviously want to perform a NANDROID backup of the Stock ROM.

I installed ClockworkMod and created a backup, however when I use my file explorer to copy the files to my PC, they're nowhere to be found. The files are definitely on the phone (I have the option to restore them from Recovery) but they're not in the SDCard/Clockworkmod/backup folder as they should be.

Can anyone offer any solution? I tried reflashing CWM, used an older version number, and also connected to my PC to browse the file system via Windows.... and still no luck.

Please help?!

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
You need root privileges to access CWM backups, unfortunately. If I am not mistaken it was in either /data/media or /system/data something like that.

nstirton

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
You need root privileges to access CWM backups, unfortunately. If I am not mistaken it was in either /data/media or /system/data something like that.

Surely after the phone is rooted and using a file explorer app I can access the files I need. Both paths you suggest are either empty or don't exist.

I dont understand, after flashing several roms on several phones before, why is this now an issue?

Any other advice greatly received!

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
For me it started with a firmware update of the device to 1.29 or an version update of the recovery itself (not sure which came first), so it could be either one. And yes, you'll need root access.

nstirton

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, maybe I wasn't clear in my original post. I HAVE rooted the phone. It has to be rooted to install CWM, which I have done. The issue now is that after performing a back up with CWM, I can't find the backup files on the sd card. They are not in sdcard/clockworkmod/backup where they should be.

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Mate rooting has absolutely nothing to do with CWM. You do not have to be rooted in order to install CWM, all you need is an unlocked bootloader (I am guessing you are confusing the two?). As I said, go to /data/media or /system/data and if you find them empty then your ROM is not rooted. Go to the PlayStore and search "Root Checker" in order to find out if your ROM is rooted or not.

nstirton

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
Hi Tarek,

Yes i have unlocked the bootloader, the ROM itself won't be Rooted as I'm still running stock ROM. However, before I flash a new rom I need to make a backup of the stock one. the CWM backup I've created should show in the file path I noted above, but cannot be found when I search for it using a file explorer. I know the backup has been successful as it will allow me to restore the backup. So I am confused as to why the backup won't show in the file explorer, as it has when I've done similar processes with other phones.

Can you offer a suggestion as to how to locate the back up so I can copy yo my PC, or another method to back up the rom so i can flash back to stock at a later date if needed?

Thanks, Neil

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I have not used CWM except when I first got the HTC One so I cannot really help you with that. If I were in the same situation as you are, I'd flash TWRP recovery (the latest 2.6) one) in fastboot, boot in it, make a backup and save it to your computer. TWRP backups are located in SDcard/TWRP so they're easy to find and do not require rooting. IF you want to root your device in order to locate the CWM backup folder, you can do so at your own risk; however you must keep in mind that if you do root and you are not able to locate the backup of the stock/non-rooted ROM, then your only way of going back to stock is by installing a RUU.

Rooting guide posted here: [GUIDE] Complete Flashing Guide | Rooting | Going Back To Stock | 05.05.2013 - xda-developers

TWRP 2.6.0.0: Techerrata Downloads - Browsing m7

There are also instructions on how to flash a custom recovery in the guide I posted above, but I am sure you already know how to do that.

nstirton

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. I did try TWRP also but after installing, for some reason the touch interface did not work so I was unable to navigate and produce a back up, very odd. I even tried an older version number with no success. CWM touch interface does work but struggling to find the files. Thanks anyway, guess I should try to find the ruu for future use instead of backing up my own Rom.

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys,

I successfully rooted my One yesterday, but before I start flashing ROMs I obviously want to perform a NANDROID backup of the Stock ROM.

I installed ClockworkMod and created a backup, however when I use my file explorer to copy the files to my PC, they're nowhere to be found. The files are definitely on the phone (I have the option to restore them from Recovery) but they're not in the SDCard/Clockworkmod/backup folder as they should be.

Can anyone offer any solution? I tried reflashing CWM, used an older version number, and also connected to my PC to browse the file system via Windows.... and still no luck.

Please help?!

What rom did you flash? If you flashed a 4.2.2 rom it will change the file structure for multi users. Take a look at this thread and the fix
Flashing an 4.2.2 rom and file structure issue. - xda-developers

kohut88

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem when I switched the recoveries and installed hd revolutions. I could find the files expesually my stock back up. I bricked my HTC one because for some reason it would show my sd ccard and I had wiped the device installing the Rom. I was stuck with no boot up or cwm not showing or mounting my sd card. I ended up booting it into fastbook and flashed twrm using dos commands and was able to install the hd revolution on my sd card. Now being afraid of messing with it I flashed the newest cwm and backed up the Rom. After searching and searching I found it using es file explorer. You go to device the mnt then emulated. There's where your back ups are. Now my question is that a separate part if my sd card? If I wipe data and install a different Rom would that be untouched? I havnt flashed a Rom since I bricked it and freaked out......I copied the files to my sd card on my phone using easy file explore and the I was able to see them when I hooked it up to the computer

rizchi

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
thanks ... saved me from doing a full wipe and factory reset .. needed the backup and was worried it was occupying space and i couldnt find it

danconklin2

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Maybe this will help someone else:

Well, if you did the same thing I did, then you selected the sd1 folder on the phone's memory instead of backing up to the external sd card. You can verify this by the storage tab in your settings to see how much is being used by miscellaneous files. The backup typically uses around 6GB. If that's what you did, then you can use the custom recovery to delete the backup and then backup again to the external card.

Last edited: