Do I have to factory reset every time I flash a rom?

Bryant Rawls

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Do I have to factory reset every time I flash a rom? And would a cwm work with twrp?

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Re: quick question

Do I have to factory reset every time I flash a rom? And would a cwm work with twrp?

If you're switching between different ROMs it is best to wipe data (factory reset). Download Titanium Back Up. You can wipe data and restore all apps and app data so switching between roms will be painless.

CWM and TWRP are recoveries. You pick one. Can't use both. They both do the same but you might like one over the other. I'm currently using TWRP.

Sent from my M7 using AC Forums mobile app

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site

When I had the One X and the S3, I almost always used CWM. When I got the One I decided to try TWRP and boy was I missing out. I am not complaining about CWM, it is a great recovery, however TWRP's interface in itself provides a satisfaction I never got from CWM. Everything is a tap away and it looks awesome (there are even themes you can flash for it, lol), and it just feels more feature-packed but maybe that's just me.

And as mentioned above, if you're going for different ROMs (as in ARHD to TrickDroid, for instance) then it would be better to wipe the SD card and install the ROM, whereas if you're going for an updated version of the same ROM (ARHD 11 to ARHD 12.1, for instance) then you can just flash without wiping anything, which is what is referred to as a "dirty flash".

Bryant Rawls

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site

Ok so I just find a rom that works with twrp right, back up my data, follow the flashing instructions, restore, and I'll be good right?

leesumm

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site

Most all roms will install with TWRP, not all roms will install on your phone. Be sure you are using the rom for your model. As I have read and understand the M7 (AT&T HTC One ) will flash most any HTC One rom,as is with the international , but say Sprint uses its own rom , Check out the XDA forums for the right one.

Bryant Rawls

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site

Ok guys I need Immediate help. I tried flashing a rom. I followed the steps and now im stuck in the the bootloader screen. Every time I try to reboot, power down, or enter recovery it sends me right back to the bootloader screen. Can yall please help me!!!!!!

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site

Which ROM did you try to flash? And did the installation complete 100% and report success at the end before rebooting? You can open the ROM.zip (whatever the ROM's name is, of course) and extract the boot.img from it, put it in your fastboot folder, put your device in fastboot mode and then type

Code:
fastboot flash boot boot.img

then reboot the device and it should boot if the installation was correct in the first place. Otherwise, go to recovery and reinstall the ROM (and wipe virtual SD card if asked).

Bryant Rawls

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site

i was installin Android Revolution and it said 100 % and said it was complete. And my phone is not allowing to go back into my recovery. Im stuck at the Tampered/Unlocked Screen in the bootloader. every action I take brings me back to that screen. I cant restart, power down, or go into recovery.

pergerson6

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site

i was installin Android Revolution and it said 100 % and said it was complete. And my phone is not allowing to go back into my recovery. Im stuck at the Tampered/Unlocked Screen in the bootloader. every action I take brings me back to that screen. I cant restart, power down, or go into recovery.

Same thing happened to me when ARHD was sprint compatable.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site

Have you tried flashing the boot.img as I mentioned above? And if that didn't work, try reflashing TWRP recovery from fastboot (I'm sure you know how to do it since you already did it before) and then reinstall ARHD. If none of that works, do like pergerson did and install a RUU.

Bryant Rawls

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site

Have you tried flashing the boot.img as I mentioned above? And if that didn't work, try reflashing TWRP recovery from fastboot (I'm sure you know how to do it since you already did it before) and then reinstall ARHD. If none of that works, do like pergerson did and install a RUU.
Ok I will try it and see what happens

pergerson6

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site

I've done both methods before and I can say they both worked. Just had this issue like two days ago and reflashed cwm.

Bryant Rawls

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site

I think I found my issue right now I didnt make a nandroid backup before i tried flashing the rom. Is the backup necessary for me to use the RUU method and if so is there anywhere i can find a file to download

pergerson6

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site

I think I found my issue right now I didnt make a nandroid backup before i tried flashing the rom. Is the backup necessary for me to use the RUU method and if so is there anywhere i can find a file to download

You don't need a back-up to run the RUU. Which company are you with?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38