Convert ATT device to Developer Edition?

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Hi All,

I read somewhere (and now I lost it) that it is possible to convert ATT device to a unlocked developer edition, install the dev RUU and then also start receiving OTA updates from HTC as you would with a dev edition.

Has anyone successfully done this? If so can you point what needs to be done?

Thanks,
Chaks

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
You'll need to be S-OFF in order to change your CID to the Developer Edition's one.

You can use this tool to go S-OFF: [S-OFF] revone - DEVELOPER EARLY ACCESS PREVIEW EDITION - xda-developers

After going S-OFF, you'll need to change your CID to the Developer Edition's one by going to fastboot (fastboot USB mode) and using the "fastboot oem writecid ****" method.

IF you don't know how to use fastboot or even what that is, read this guide: [GUIDE] Complete Flashing Guide | Rooting | Going Back To Stock | 05.05.2013 - xda-developers specifically the "Unlocking bootloader" section if your bootloader isn't already unlocked"

The CID for Developer Edition is BS_US001 by the way, so you'll need to change to that.

After going unlocking bootloader, going S-OFF and changing CID (in that order), you'll need to do one final thing and that is to install the proper Developer Edition RUU, from here: AndroidFiles RUU

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
WoW! Thanks a lot! I am new to this unlocking/rooting business, so it will take some time to digest the info :)

I will read the guides and proceed forward! Thanks again! :)

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Forgot to ask: I believe to S-OFF, you need to unlock your bootloader and root your device first? If so, I see discussions where OTA is not available if you root your phone - so will this still work after installing Dev RUU?

Thanks!

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
You'll have to unlock bootloader, root and go S-OFF before installing the Developer Edition RUU. After you install the RUU, everything will go back to stock except the bootloader will still be unlocked (which you can easily relock although you don't need to since Developer Editions come with unlocked bootloaders) and the device will be S-OFF (which you will leave it as it is because you don't need S-ON to receive OTA updates). After installing the RUU.exe just don't root the device or you won't be able to update OTA. If anything is still vague let me know.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae