Bricked My Phone

mlyon83

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Well, I was running TWRP with the stock ROM for a while.

Eventually, a few hours ago, I decided to install Android Revolution 4.3 Jelly Bean Google Play Edition...

So I downloaded the .zip file for the new ROM, copied it into the root folder of my HTC One (main directory) and restarted my phone into the bootloader...

I then went into recovery of TWRP and selected Install...

Then I selected the Android Revolution 4.3 file and swiped the screen to install it...

Everything went well while installing it, but then...

Once it rebooted when finished, it's now stuck in the bootloader screen and I can't seem to do anything to get out of it.

So I googled information on how to "unbrick" the HTC One...

That's when I was advised to "relock" my HTC One with command "fastboot oem lock"...

It relocked the phone. Then I was advised to download and unzip the Sprint RUU for version 1.29.xxxxxxx.....

But that's where things failed when it tried to reinstate the stock ROM from the RUU.

I remember that I'm using version 1.31.xxxx (the latest OTA).

So my question is.... should I have ran a flash before installing the Android Revolution ROM to keep bricking from occurring in the first place?

And what are my options now to unbrick my HTC One?

I can't seem to find any Sprint RUU 1.31.xxxxxx download.

Thanks for your help.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Well, I was running TWRP with the stock ROM for a while.

Eventually, a few hours ago, I decided to install Android Revolution 4.3 Jelly Bean Google Play Edition...

So I downloaded the .zip file for the new ROM, copied it into the root folder of my HTC One (main directory) and restarted my phone into the bootloader...

I then went into recovery of TWRP and selected Install...

Then I selected the Android Revolution 4.3 file and swiped the screen to install it...

Everything went well while installing it, but then...

Once it rebooted when finished, it's now stuck in the bootloader screen and I can't seem to do anything to get out of it.

So I googled information on how to "unbrick" the HTC One...

That's when I was advised to "relock" my HTC One with command "fastboot oem lock"...

It relocked the phone. Then I was advised to download and unzip the Sprint RUU for version 1.29.xxxxxxx.....

But that's where things failed when it tried to reinstate the stock ROM from the RUU.

I remember that I'm using version 1.31.xxxx (the latest OTA).

So my question is.... should I have ran a flash before installing the Android Revolution ROM to keep bricking from occurring in the first place?

And what are my options now to unbrick my HTC One?

I can't seem to find any Sprint RUU 1.31.xxxxxx download.

Thanks for your help.

First....which carrier are you on?

mlyon83

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
My carrier is Sprint.

I'm not sure what S-ON and S-OFF are. I've just seen them on YouTube videos.

Forgive me for my ignorance... I'm new to all this, but it is quite a learning experience :)

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
My carrier is Sprint.

Forgive me for my ignorance... I'm new to all this, but it is quite a learning experience :)

All HTC devices ship s-on. Basically it is a security feature that's built into the boot loader. It prevents flashing any binaries/zips to your device that do not carry the HTC signature key.

S-off means it is disabled, meaning you can flash any binary/zip with any signature key to your device. Honestly for the most part s-off isn't really a neccesity anymore as HTC has really lightened up on their grip throughout the years.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
All HTC devices ship s-on. Basically it is a security feature that's built into the boot loader. It prevents flashing any binaries/zips to your device that do not carry the HTC signature key.

S-off means it is disabled, meaning you can flash any binary/zip with any signature key to your device. Honestly for the most part s-off isn't really a neccesity anymore as HTC has really lightened up on their grip throughout the years.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

My carrier is Sprint.

General rule of flashing ROMs is you don't flash different carriers. Google edition was only on GSM models. Might be different on HTC. Gollum can you confirm?

Sent from a SlimROM S3.

mlyon83

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I've attempted to flash my phone by first doing a FASTBOOT FLASH ZIP ROM_NAME.ZIP

Everything goes good, but then it says something like "12 bad signatures/errors".

I did this on Android 1.29.xxxx ROM, and figured there was a compatibility issue, so I tried 1.31.xxxxx RUUs both rooted and unrooted, on both Locked & Unlocked Bootloader...

Same error: "12 bad signatures/errors" However, when it was LOCKED, I received 24 errors/signatures.

Now I'm thinking it has something to do with S-ON (I'm trying to get S-OFF).

I've looked into Revone, have installed SDK Android and Java Development Kit, and tried using the following command (based on Google info):

adb push revone.dna /data/local/tmp (command prompt in Windows 7) ...

But it says "device not found" when clearly the device is plugged in.

At this point, I'm not sure what to do.

Any further pointers would be nice.

I've been at this for 10 hours today thus far.

mlyon83

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Okay, after about 12 hrs, I've figured it out:

adb shell
echo "1.29.651.10" | dd of=/dev/block/mmcblk0p19 bs=1 seek=160
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot oem lock

Then I flashed Sprint RUU 1.29.xxxxx

Worked flawlessly.

My phone is back up and running.

And I did all this not knowing a thing about ROMs today.

I've learned quite a bit today, lol.

After all that, I now feel much more confident in using custom ROMS :)

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

adb shell
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot oem lock

Worked flawlessly.

Glad you got it going. You should be flashing roms in recovery not fastboot.

mlyon83

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
My bad. I didn't actually flash in fastboot, I ran a .exe emulator RUU to accomplish this, then the setup screen guided me through the process.

mikestorm

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Good for you OP. I maintain that nothing short of softbricking a phone does one begin to understand and enjoy root access in all its glory. To snatch your bricked phone away from the clutches of oblivion while forcing down creeping hysteria and ignoring your subconscious telling you the device which lay flat in front of you, tethered to your PC as if on life support and silently fighting for its very utility, has been permanently reduced to a vegetative paper-weight because you couldn't leave well enough alone. We've all been there. I know I have. Next time you flash you'll be a little older and a little wiser.

Ladies and gentlemen, its Miller time at the mylon83 household.

mlyon83

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
Good for you OP. I maintain that nothing short of softbricking a phone does one begin to understand and enjoy root access in all its glory. To snatch your bricked phone away from the clutches of oblivion while forcing down creeping hysteria and ignoring your subconscious telling you the device which lay flat in front of you, tethered to your PC as if on life support and silently fighting for its very utility, has been permanently reduced to a vegetative paper-weight because you couldn't leave well enough alone. We've all been there. I know I have. Next time you flash you'll be a little older and a little wiser.

Ladies and gentlemen, its Miller time at the mylon83 household.

Hahahahaahahha.

BenHook

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
And did you turn s-off first before running the ruu? I have a bootloop and TWRP still working after I tried to run the stock 1.29 Sprint ruu twice with my bootloader relocked. I am also sort of new to Android rooting as well but I don't want to make mattters worse and possibly hard brick my phone. I think I'll try to do what you did since the USB on the go cable that I ordered is probably not going to work since my internal storage won't mount from TWRP. Any input is appreciated, thanks.

BenHook

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site

adb shell
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot oem lock

Worked flawlessly.

I tried to do the echo command that you did but it didn't work. When I type in adb shell I get ~ # ←[6n in the next line. Then I typed in the echo command exactly as you put it but it says that the seek failed. I checked and I have the same ruu version as you so I typed in exactly as you did but I keep getting the weird [6n everytime I try adb shell. Please help, I need my phone back to normal as soon as possible

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I tried to do the echo command that you did but it didn't work. When I type in adb shell I get ~ # ←[6n in the next line. Then I typed in the echo command exactly as you put it but it says that the seek failed. I checked and I have the same ruu version as you so I typed in exactly as you did but I keep getting the weird [6n everytime I try adb shell. Please help, I need my phone back to normal as soon as possible

Yes # is the su privilege. thats what you want. I also commented on your other post

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc