Stock recovery won't install

ahaxton

May 10, 2010
Visit site
I am currently rooted running the stock 1.31 ROM, with an unlocked bootloader, TWRP, and S-On. I only rooted so that I could run Helium backup without tethering to a computer, and to do WiFi tether. Outside of that, I don't flash ROM's anymore, I like stock, I just wanted to be rooted for a limited use-case. I can't get tether to work, and Helium isn't THAT big a deal, so I just want to re-install the stock recovery and accept the OTA. I tried installing the recovery from this thread: [STOCK]Sprint One boot.img and recovery.img - xda-developers

When I then go into recovery, I get a red triangle with an exclamation point. After a couple of minutes, my phone reboots and then just boots up normally. I can flash TWRP just fine, but the stock recovery craps out.

My end goal, if possible, is to be able to accept the OTA and update to 4.3 without having to wipe and reload my phone. Any ideas why the stock recovery keeps crapping out? Is there a different one that I'm supposed to use? Am I just SOL?

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I am currently rooted running the stock 1.31 ROM, with an unlocked bootloader, TWRP, and S-On. I only rooted so that I could run Helium backup without tethering to a computer, and to do WiFi tether. Outside of that, I don't flash ROM's anymore, I like stock, I just wanted to be rooted for a limited use-case. I can't get tether to work, and Helium isn't THAT big a deal, so I just want to re-install the stock recovery and accept the OTA. I tried installing the recovery from this thread: [STOCK]Sprint One boot.img and recovery.img - xda-developers

When I then go into recovery, I get a red triangle with an exclamation point. After a couple of minutes, my phone reboots and then just boots up normally. I can flash TWRP just fine, but the stock recovery craps out.

My end goal, if possible, is to be able to accept the OTA and update to 4.3 without having to wipe and reload my phone. Any ideas why the stock recovery keeps crapping out? Is there a different one that I'm supposed to use? Am I just SOL?

Flash the GPe using RUU. This will load everything to be completely vanilla android stock and still give you the stock recovery and have the ability to get the OTA updates.
Once you run the RUU just re-root, and dont change your recovery. Best of everyworld

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I am currently rooted running the stock 1.31 ROM, with an unlocked bootloader, TWRP, and S-On. I only rooted so that I could run Helium backup without tethering to a computer, and to do WiFi tether. Outside of that, I don't flash ROMs anymore, I like stock, I just wanted to be rooted for a limited use-case. I can't get tether to work, and Helium isn't THAT big a deal, so I just want to re-install the stock recovery and accept the OTA. I tried installing the recovery from this thread: [STOCK]Sprint One boot.img and recovery.img - xda-developers

Are you using the command prompts to flash that recovery file? You need to flash through terminal or command line and need to have the sdk+drivers installed.

Edit: Yes, the above suggestion to flash the RUU will also work and restore everything to stock, factory conditions.

ahaxton

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Are you using the command prompts to flash that recovery file? You need to flash through terminal or command line and need to have the sdk+drivers installed.
Yup. fastboot flash recovery Sprint_One_recovery_boot.img. And if I do the exact same command line but using the TWRP recovery, it works fine. I can boot into TWRP, flash ROMs, do Nandroid backups, etc.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Yup. fastboot flash recovery Sprint_One_recovery_boot.img. And if I do the exact same command line but using the TWRP recovery, it works fine. I can boot into TWRP, flash ROMs, do Nandroid backups, etc.
That's weird. Re-download the file and try again. If still no success you can flash the RUU and be back to factory conditions.

ahaxton

May 10, 2010
Visit site
That's weird. Re-download the file and try again. If still no success you can flash the RUU and be back to factory conditions.
Yeah, I did, with the same result. I downloaded it once on my phone, before I got home, and once on my laptop after it didn't work the first time. Both times the same result. I also tried flashing it on both my desktop and my laptop. Thanks anyway. I guess biting the bullet, wiping back to factory and just sucking it up and reinstalling all my apps and data is my only option. I appreciate your help.

ahaxton

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Ultimately I never got the stock recovery installed, so I just did my backups, flashed the 1.29 RUU and upgraded from there. Now I'm trying to get everything re-installed.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo