HTC One: How to install OTA Update? Rooted.

Master T

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Could anyone explain how I can install an OTA update on a factory Sprint Rom with a rooted HTC ONE & TWRP recovery?

Last edited by a moderator:

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Are you s-off? if so you can flash this firmware package HERE and you have 2 choices. The full firmware package or the one w/o hboot, boot img and recovery.
If you are s-on you will need to relock the bootloader and use the RUU thats in the same post and hope the bootloader isn't locked down until another exploit is found to root

You can flash my stock rooted rom based off the new OTA found HERE as the radio is the same one we have now.
I will also post the stock rooted HERE

SlamTheDoor

Jan 16, 2014
Visit site
You can flash my stock rooted rom based off the new OTA found HERE as the radio is the same one we have now.
I will also post the stock rooted HERE

I think you're saying that accepting the OTA on the phone is not an option at all if rooted.
My (rooted) phone is showing "System update is available. Tap to download the system update" but I risk losing root and not being able to get it back if I download the update, right?

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I think you're saying that accepting the OTA on the phone is not an option at all if rooted.
My (rooted) phone is showing "System update is available. Tap to download the system update" but I risk losing root and not being able to get it back if I download the update, right?

You need the stock recovery and software for the OTA to take. So no the OTA will not work with your setup

tshmit1

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
I was under the impression the minimum required to get the phone to OTA update is to restore the stock bootloader ([RECOVERY] Stock AT&T recovery image (m7) - xda-developers).

Is also necessary to lock the bootloader?

Beyond that, is it also necessary to run the stock RUU? If so, where can I find the an RUU for developer edition? I can't seem to locate it on [COLLECTION][GUIDE] HTC M7 RUU, OTA, and Stock Nandroid Downloads - xda-developers, and the filters on HTCdev - HTC Kernel Source Code and Binaries aren't working for me for some reason.

(currently running a stock ROM (4.1.2/1.29.1540.3), rooted, twrp, s-on)

Last edited:

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
if your rooted and have twrp recovery installed ..then wont let u take the ota update ..i know because i tapped on update and just booted me into twrp recovery...i was in the process of rooting phone when the update downloaded to my phone so after i rooted and installed twrp the download was still on my phone popping up notifacations to install..so i tried ...but dont work..i need to get this update cause lot of the new roms are 4.4.3 ...4,.4.4...and im not sure if i can flash a rom useing 4.4.4..4.4.3..while my stock rooted rom is still on 4.4.2

Beings you are s-off you can flash just the firmware package without losing anything. Then you can flash a rom if you choose to do so
[RUU][Firmware]Sprint HTC One M8 | 2.16.65x.… | Sprint HTC One (M8) | XDA Forum

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
do i need to wipe anything before flashing this ruu with twrp recovery??like wipe cach or delvic cach then flash updated ruu firmware??2things ive got to know..can i use twrp??..and do i need wipe anything first??..and after flashing ruu zip via twrp..i can then in fact flash bad boyz rom witch i see u have on your phone..?sorry 3 things..i know ive typed alot..just got to be sure.agagin thanx for your time

Do you have the Harmon Kardon or the non HK ? You can flash th HK firmware
Yeah I have BadBoyz on my phone im part of the BB dev team....lol

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23578570567715031

Here are the instructions they are in the OP
rename firmware to firmware.zip
-copy firmware.zip to your sdk folder
-boot into bootloader
-plug in usb
-select fastboot option (screen should say fastboot usb)
-type Fastboot oem rebootRUU
-when u see the black screen w/ HTC, type Fastboot flash zip firmware.zip
-when it's done, type Fastboot reboo

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
it wont let me use hboot to flash the zip like it said..so unles i install the stock recovery to take the ota..or use twrp to flash the ruu if even possible..need hear back from u before i try that ..if that works ill be very happy not haveing to revert back to stock jus to update firmware..i jus want the bad boyz rom baddly ..
did you get a error? and did you put the 0P6BIMG zip on your external sdcard? BTW thats a zero and not a O

What zip did you download

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
ok so i got the sdk before to root..still have folder..instead of downloading again..just keep the platform tools folder..replace the other files i used..with these ..rename the zip...the fast boot?adb got to be in same platform folder right?so i need platform tools ..need fastboot/adb files ..and the ruu h.k. zip all in folder on desktop??..is there a video on this i could fallow u know of??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybu7fZa41so

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
ive got to leave for work i think where ive messed up at is....instead of putting the zip in the playform tool folder do i need put that zip in internal storage of my sd card jus drag and drop it in my root of internal storage??it doesnt need to be in the platform tool folder right?jus in the root of internal storage??

It goes on your external sdcard not the internal

Download this and put on the external sdcard, No need to rename i have it named

http://www.mediafire.com/download/cidcxepj95wfoue/0P6BIMG.zip

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
ok placed the zip on external sd card and copied it in the sdk ..the platform folder ..opened up command window did all u said..but it says cant find the img file name..what am i doing wroung im getting the dark screen saaying HTC..so im doing soething right...should i of put the zip in sdcard0 ..in your descrition u said external sd card ..my mini sd card i put in i assumed u meant that by saying external sd card..u also said copy the zip into the sdk folder...i had placed in both ex..sd and in sdk folder..do i need to put in internal sd??ive got to leave for work ill def..check to see what u say later..thank you for help i DONT want tp flash back to stock recovery just to get ota update firmware ..i want bad boys
After putting it on your sdcard reboot into the bootloader, hboot will find the zip parse it and ask if you want to update. No need for a command prompt using the 0P6BIMG

If you rename it to firmware thats when you need to use fastboot and the sdk folder. Its 2 different ways of doing itand you are getting confused and combining both ways. Like i said just put the 0P6BIMG on the external sdcard boot into the bootloader and make sure you have Hboot selected

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
ive tried everything ..you said..havent got nothing to take ..hope its ok just to flash your stock rom in above post..then flash your bad boyz rom..hopeing that will update the firmware ..considering ill be going stright to bad boyz afterwards

Get into fastboot usb mode in the bootloader. In the cmd prompt type this "fastboot oem getvar all" and post it here. Make sure you remove your IMEI, MEID.Phone #

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
u said if s off i can flash either one..well can i use twrp to flash..seems much easier,,can i flash the modified one with twrp?..cause on that page says use fastboot and ive tried all this..nothing seems to work..i just got super cid to see if this will help..said succsefull but cid diddnt change..maybe i had to reboot to get to take..not sure..
are you sure you are openng the cmd from the folder that includes fastboot? its like platform-tools

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
need to know if i did this like u said..put on ex.sd card used hboot to upgrade this did in fact upgrade me to the 4.4.3 firmware the 2.16.651.4 firmware so i can now flash the bad boyz rom..even though said succsefull but in settings still says 4.4.2 firmware...maybe this is because its modified??system still thinks its on 4.4.2??
You are looking at the software version. if you look at the Baseband it shoud be 1.05.20.0321_2. The software version changes with the rom

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
thank you so much for this..that was confuseing..u know for being a top developer..u sure do take time out to help the newbies..just so u know im running viper rom now..tried installing bad boyz..but went buggy on me..said succsessfull but kept in bootloop..after viper rom was stable..so made back up..software versio did change with the rom like said..but my baseband num..is diff than num u providedi do want to come to your rom..its still in my downloads in twrp..mite try again..but there is a even more updated firmware now..4.4.4..right..should i again try updateing to this firmware with a modified zip again??and i sure would like to know why my fastboot commands was not working thats the methad i perfer..saw on guru firmware site he was nameing the zip...ruu.zip...instead of firmware.zip..could this be why wasnt able to flash it?it diddnt regonise the zip..kept.error..wouldnt even let me do the getvar command...i know i was in right folder..i got the adb/fastboot again threw skitech website..without the humongus sdk files as well..also from xda found a simple little batch file..to set up adb system wide.and install the correct drivers google drivers.
I have a folder right on my desktop for adb/fastboot with windows 7 you can hold down shift key right click the folder and then open command window from here. When you rename the zip are you adding .zip? if you are then it would be firmware.zip.zip. If you are getting a bootloop then you need to flash superuser in recovery and that should take care of if. You can rename the zip to anything as long as you enter it right in the cmd.

Here is the superuser zip...SuperSU Download

Manuel Diaz4

Feb 18, 2015
Visit site
relock bootloader and reflash recovery to stock recovery, download the ruu from htcdev and put your phone into fastboot mode run ruu on the computer an enjoy lollipop

Zach5050

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
I know this is an old thread but am looking for help with flashing an OTA with my Sprint HTC One m7. It is the stagefright update that includes other items. I realize the stagefright update part is not that important but it is so as much that without getting it the phone will not be ready for further updates down the road. My Sprint HTC One m7 is new, never been activated and has a new SIM card in it. It came with Lollipop 5.0.2, Sense 6.0, Software version 6.23.651.7, HTC SDK API level 6.55. Bootloader is unlocked via HTCDev site (currently relocked), rooted with TWRP & Chainfire's SuperSU (currently unrooted), and s-off with sunshine. Relocked bootloader, which took it back to stock recovery, and run the stock RUU off HTC's website but still get an error "unexpected content in Bluetooth.apk" which stops the update from installing. Tried 3 times, completely reloading RUU. Since I am s-off, should be able to flash this OTA, right?
Thanks,
zach

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I know this is an old thread but am looking for help with flashing an OTA with my Sprint HTC One m7. It is the stagefright update that includes other items. I realize the stagefright update part is not that important but it is so as much that without getting it the phone will not be ready for further updates down the road. My Sprint HTC One m7 is new, never been activated and has a new SIM card in it. It came with Lollipop 5.0.2, Sense 6.0, Software version 6.23.651.7, HTC SDK API level 6.55. Bootloader is unlocked via HTCDev site (currently relocked), rooted with TWRP & Chainfire's SuperSU (currently unrooted), and s-off with sunshine. Relocked bootloader, which took it back to stock recovery, and run the stock RUU off HTC's website but still get an error "unexpected content in Bluetooth.apk" which stops the update from installing. Tried 3 times, completely reloading RUU. Since I am s-off, should be able to flash this OTA, right?
Thanks,
zach

You can flash this latest RUU as it includes all the updates and you'll be up to date.

Zach5050

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
Is this RUU for the U.S.A.? And is it a stock version? I still want to continue getting OTA's, its just for some reason this one kept getting an "unkown contents in Bluetooth.apk" error and would not install.

zach