Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AndroidProf
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Exclamation Root without using TWRP or CWM?

Hi everyone I was wondering if it is possible to root the HTC One (AT&T) without installing a custom recovery such as TWRP or CWM? Reason I would like to do this is so that I can still receive OTA's when released and I really only need root for a couple of apps. Any help would be really appreciated.

I already have my boot-loader unlocked and s-off.

Global Posts
    4,373 Global Posts
    ROM
    CandyKat 4.4.4

Default Re: Root without using TWRP or CWM?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBlaze86 View Post
    Hi everyone I was wondering if it is possible to root the HTC One (AT&T) without installing a custom recovery such as TWRP or CWM? Reason I would like to do this is so that I can still receive OTA's when released and I really only need root for a couple of apps. Any help would be really appreciated.

I already have my boot-loader unlocked and s-off.
    I am unaware of a root method that roots your phone just like that. The easiest way would be to flash a recovery and flash SuperSU.

Sent from my AT&T One X running CodefireX ROM Android Version 4.4.
    "The glow of one warm thought is to me worth more than money." - Thomas Jefferson

My One X has served its time...now it's the Note 4's turn

While it is usually the norm to flash in SU binary via a custom recovery, they are two different things entirely. So, yes there is a way for you to do that without having to install a custom recovery. However, if your only reason for not doing so is so that you will be able to install the OTA updates, well you should know that people usually post the OTA updates 1 or 2 days after they have been released and they can be flashed in via the custom recovery. So there should be no worries on that part. Also, sometimes having root causes the OTA to fail and not update or in some cases it even removes your phone's root privileges. Anyhow, as for your answer, I assume you're familiar with how to work with adb binaries on your computer. So just download the su.apk for your phone (Google it) and simply paste the SU file in the adb folder. Open a CMD window in that folder and type the following commands (will only work with s-off)

adb remount
    adb push su /system/xbin/su
    adb shell chmod 04755 /system/xbin/su

That's about it. Oh and you will have to install the SuperUser app from the PlayStore after doing this.
    Thanked by:
    wizzrah likes this.

Global Posts
    4,373 Global Posts
    ROM
    CandyKat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by AndroidProf View Post
    While it is usually the norm to flash in SU binary via a custom recovery, they are two different things entirely. So, yes there is a way for you to do that without having to install a custom recovery. However, if your only reason for not doing so is so that you will be able to install the OTA updates, well you should know that people usually post the OTA updates 1 or 2 days after they have been released and they can be flashed in via the custom recovery. So there should be no worries on that part. Also, sometimes having root causes the OTA to fail and not update or in some cases it even removes your phone's root privileges. Anyhow, as for your answer, I assume you're familiar with how to work with adb binaries on your computer. So just download the su.apk for your phone (Google it) and simply paste the SU file in the adb folder. Open a CMD window in that folder and type the following commands (will only work with s-off)

adb remount
    adb push su /system/xbin/su
    adb shell chmod 04755 /system/xbin/su

That's about it. Oh and you will have to install the SuperUser app from the PlayStore after doing this.
    The recovery method and this method would both probably take the same amount of time.

Sent from my AT&T One X running CodefireX ROM Android Version 4.4.
    "The glow of one warm thought is to me worth more than money." - Thomas Jefferson

My One X has served its time...now it's the Note 4's turn
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

AndroidProf thank you for the quick reply! I will try this within the next day or two and let you know how it goes.

Posted via Android Central App