Relocked HTC One stuck in boot loop and won't enter Recovery

biluinaim

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
I rooted my phone (HTC One, bought in the UK, not branded) a few months ago, though I never installed a custom ROM or anything. I recently (3-4 months ago) re-locked it to receive OTA updates, though that never worked, but thats another story.
Now I havent had any problems since, except today it was just sitting on a table and started rebooting itself. The OS does load, but after about 10 seconds it just reboots.

Now I read that clearing the cache might fix whatever is going wrong, but I can't access recovery. When I enter HBOOT, it says both Tampered and Relocked, fwiw.
I can select Recovery, and I get the HTC logo saying "entering Recovery", but after a split second it's gone and I'm back to HBOOT. I did make sure fast boot was not selected in the phones settings.
Also, after it fails to get into Recovery, after Relocked it also says Security Warning... (This notice goes away if I turn off the phone)

Can anyone help me out? I have no idea why it just decided to do this, as I havent installed anything or changed any settings for ages, and Im travelling without a laptop so I cannot use fastboot cmd prompts from a PC.

Thank you for any help!!

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I rooted my phone (HTC One, bought in the UK, not branded) a few months ago, though I never installed a custom ROM or anything. I recently (3-4 months ago) re-locked it to receive OTA updates, though that never worked, but thats another story.
Now I havent had any problems since, except today it was just sitting on a table and started rebooting itself. The OS does load, but after about 10 seconds it just reboots.

Now I read that clearing the cache might fix whatever is going wrong, but I can't access recovery. When I enter HBOOT, it says both Tampered and Relocked, fwiw.
I can select Recovery, and I get the HTC logo saying "entering Recovery", but after a split second it's gone and I'm back to HBOOT. I did make sure fast boot was not selected in the phones settings.
Also, after it fails to get into Recovery, after Relocked it also says Security Warning... (This notice goes away if I turn off the phone)

Can anyone help me out? I have no idea why it just decided to do this, as I havent installed anything or changed any settings for ages, and Im travelling without a laptop so I cannot use fastboot cmd prompts from a PC.

Thank you for any help!!

Hello.

Have you ever installed any recovery such as TWRP or CWM?

By re-locked, you mean the bootloader, correct?

biluinaim

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
Hello.

Have you ever installed any recovery such as TWRP or CWM?

By re-locked, you mean the bootloader, correct?

I think I had installed Team Win but I can't access it anymore so I guess it's gone... Yeah I re-locked the bootloader through my PC. Sorry I don't really know in detail what I did, I only rooted the phone to be able to connect my PS3 controller to it so I havent really gotten in-depth... And it was quite some time ago too. Would it help to post the text that appears on top of the bootloader? I have to keep the phone off and unplugged as even AC connection makes it boot into infinity.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I think I had installed Team Win but I can't access it anymore so I guess it's gone... Yeah I re-locked the bootloader through my PC. Sorry I don't really know in detail what I did, I only rooted the phone to be able to connect my PS3 controller to it so I havent really gotten in-depth... And it was quite some time ago too. Would it help to post the text that appears on top of the bootloader? I have to keep the phone off and unplugged as even AC connection makes it boot into infinity.

boot into infinity
I've never seen someone describe it like that before...nice. :D

Anyways, try doing a factory reset from bootloader. The basics should be tried first before tampering with other things.

biluinaim

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
I've never seen someone describe it like that before...nice. :D

Anyways, try doing a factory reset from bootloader. The basics should be tried first before tampering with other things.

Unfortunately selecting factory reset just brings up the HTC logo and takes me back to the bootloader, same as selecting recovery :/ I think I have enough time when the phone turns on to reach the reset option from within the settings, but I havent tried it yet as Im afraid of the consequences should the phone turn off while dealing with any important OS files...

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately selecting factory reset just brings up the HTC logo and takes me back to the bootloader, same as selecting recovery :/ I think I have enough time when the phone turns on to reach the reset option from within the settings, but I havent tried it yet as Im afraid of the consequences should the phone turn off while dealing with any important OS files...

Have you tried any fastboot commands, such as fastboot erase cache. I'm just throwing ideas out there. You could also try unlocking the bootloader again, as you need that to access a recovery like TWRP.

biluinaim

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
Have you tried any fastboot commands, such as fastboot erase cache. I'm just throwing ideas out there. You could also try unlocking the bootloader again, as you need that to access a recovery like TWRP.

Nope, nothing works, probably because the bootloader is locked now? Can I unlock it without a PC?

Bethany Meyer

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
If you have enough time before it reboots, go into Settings > Apps > Super SU, then force stop and disable. I'm almost positive the most recent version of Super SU is causing bootloops on some HTC Ones. I experienced it and saw several comments about it in Google Play.

biluinaim

Jun 22, 2014
Visit site
If you have enough time before it reboots, go into Settings > Apps > Super SU, then force stop and disable. I'm almost positive the most recent version of Super SU is causing bootloops on some HTC Ones. I experienced it and saw several comments about it in Google Play.

Bethany, thank you!! I did just that and my phone has been on for a few minutes without rebooting. Fingers crossed it will stay like this! Do you think I can uninstall/get rid SuperSU without issues? Im not sure what it's still doing on my phone, to be honest.

Bethany Meyer

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
Bethany, thank you!! I did just that and my phone has been on for a few minutes without rebooting. Fingers crossed it will stay like this! Do you think I can uninstall/get rid SuperSU without issues? Im not sure what it's still doing on my phone, to be honest.
I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing either. I believe you'll just lose out on the ability to run things as superuser. If you're not really taking advantage of your root, it shouldn't be a problem. I removed it and everything is working great for me.

wizzrah

Retired Ambassador
Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing either. I believe you'll just lose out on the ability to run things as superuser. If you're not really taking advantage of your root, it shouldn't be a problem. I removed it and everything is working great for me.
You still have Superuser permissions. SuperSU is just a permissions manager.

Sent from my AT&T One XL

cfclay

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I have the same issue. I was trying to re-lock, then install the RUU to go back to stock. I'm confused about how the original post member was able to get into settings and force stop any applications. I thought he kept getting into a bootloop. Anyway :) That's where I'm at after re-locking. I've tried everything mentioned on this forum.

balto1

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site

I've registered just to say THANK YOU. My HTC One S went into a never ending bootloop, and just when you think it's going to load the ROM (you see the wallpaper) it reboots. In those few seconds I managed to turn it off or send it to TWRP recovery but the phone just rebooted again and didn't listen to anything.
So I pulled out a SIM card to save myself a few seconds at startup and just barely managed to disable superuser from 2nd try. That instant it rebooted again but since then my phone works again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy