Please help, need some clarification on Firmware and installing custom ROMs

Tony Gahegan

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,

I unlocked and rooted my HTC one a few months back (TWRP and SuperSU) and soon afterwards there was an OTA update available that I couldn't install without unrooting again, so I decided to put it off for a while.

Recently I noticed that if my phone powers itself off due to lack of battery, it will go into a boot loop when turned back on.

I can get out of that boot loop by manually powering off the phone before it crashes, then manually restarting it. But this is a but of a pain so I decided to do something about it. I was thinking of returning to stock by flashing the RUU but then decided I'd try out a ROM and see if I can find a way to get the IR device to work.

I basically want to wipe everything on my phone and start again with everything as up to date and optimal as possible.

I've spent a couple of days trying to get my head around everything but have ended up more confused than when I started.

Should I upgrade my Firmware before installing a custom ROM or is that included in the ROM? (because I have noticed that the base firmware is different to mine)

I am looking at installing either MaximusHD | 42.0.0 (Base 6.06.401.1), Android Revolution HD 71.1 Base 5.11.401.10) or Android Revolution HD 6.1 Google Edition (Base 3.62.1700.1).

If anyone could give me some pointers it would be greatly appreciated.

CID=HTC_039
M7_UL PVT SHIP S-ON RH
HBOOT-1.55.000
Radio-4A.21.3263.04
OpenDSP-V32.120.274.0909
OS-3.63.980.2
eMMC-boot 2048MB
Oct 25 2013, 00:33:24.0

Android 4.3
HTC Sense 5.5
HTC SDK API 5.65

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
The base firmware does not really matter much when installing a custom ROM via recovery, however I always like keeping things up to date so I usually download the firmware file and flash it to my device. My device is S-OFF, however, so that makes things a lot easier, and I believe if you want to update the base firmware of the device (without using a RUU), you'll need to go S-OFF first. Check this thread for more info regarding that: [HTC ONE M7] Newest Firmware 6.06.401.1 for… | HTC One | XDA Forum

In order to go from S-ON to S-OFF, you'll need to follow the instructions in this page: How to Get S-Off ? HTC1Guru

If it's too much of a hassle for you, then don't bother with the base firmware, although I must say the latest one has an awesome radio and my signal has been strong ever since updating.

As for the custom ROM itself, flashing it is as easy as downloading it, moving it to your device storage, entering TWRP and installing it from there. I've personally used just about every popular custom ROM in xdadevelopers, and I must say that InsertCoin 3.0.6 is the best for me, and then Android Revolution HD 71.1 if you want a nearly 90% stock experience.

If you have any further inquiries just let me know. Best of luck to you and enjoy your M7, it's a lovely phone, especially when running custom ROMs and Tweaks apps like Sense Toolbox.

Tony Gahegan

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your reply!

I'm using a macbook pro, so it makes following the tutorials a little more complicated. Plus I'm currently living in Indonesia and have a really bad internet connection (I'm currently on my 5th attempt to dl MaximusHD 42.0.0)

I'll take a look at the MODs you suggested, I only decided on MaximusHD because it has the most recent version of Android.

Since I did my original post I have taken the following steps:

1 - Updated my TWRP to the latest version (TWRP 2.7)
2 - Got S-Off using firewater (tried Rumrunner but wouldn't work)
3 - Changed to SuperCID
4 - Updated the Firmware as per the tutorial you posted

The strange thing is that when I look in bootloader it says the OS is 6.06.401.1, but when I look on "Settings/About/Software information" it still lists 3.63.980.2

Is that normal?

M7_UL PVT SHIP S-OFF RH
CID=11111111
HBOOT-1.57.000
Radio-4T.28.3218.04
OpenDSP-V32.120.274.0909
OS-6.06.401.1
eMMC-boot 2048MB
Jun 4 2014, 18:08:27.0

Android 4.3
HTC Sense 5.5
Software number 3.63.980.2
HTC SDK API 5.65

TarekElsakka

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, that's pretty normal, it only really matters what it says in the HBOOT itself (or when you use fastboot getvar all command).

I am currently on MaximusHD also because it has the latest 4.4.3 version, but to be honest I did not notice ANY improvement over the 4.4.2 version so I might go back to InsertCoin today or tomorrow. Don't forget to use Sense 6 Toolbox (get it from the ARHD thread in XDA Developers) with MaximusHD because the tweaks are just awesome.