Failed ROM install attempt

Surreel

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Hey everybody,

My wife has a VZW HTC M8. We just switched carriers from Verizon to T-Mobile. I was told that the M8 was going to have issues porting over to T-Mobile, and sure enough, it did. So I started researching how to root the device. I ended up paying the $25 for SunShine, put SuperSU on the device, and everything worked perfectly after rebooting. I loaded the ARHD 21 ROM(specifically for the M8) onto the device and installed the .zip file, rebooted, and got stuck on the HTC logo screen. Waited twenty minutes and got nowhere with it, so I rebooted back into the bootloader, deleted cache, ROM Cache, and reinstalled the .zip.

I ran the clockworkmod recovery file by typing in ADB fastboot flash recovery cwm_v6.0.4.8_m8vzw-3 when initially attempting to root before realizing Verizon sucks and doesn't allow easy unlocking, and I needed to use SunShine. The ARHD Install looked like it was going ok the whole time until the device needed to be rebooted. Thankfully, I didn't hard brick the phone, but I can't load any other files onto the device at the moment, which is a pain.

After receiving some help from another forum, we figured out that I was flashing the wrong ROM. I switched to ARHD 11.2(per forum suggestions) and was making better progress, when I started getting errors after hitting the 'HTC One Powered by Android' splash screen. The errors being "Unfortunately, the process com.android.systemui has stopped" popping up every time I tapped OK. The screen would then go blank and would not turn on again, though I could tell the phone was running when I pressed the volume buttons.

Using CWM recovery, I cleared all the caches I could find and re-installed the ROM. This time, phone boots to a blank screen, no responses. Was told by one user that I needed to be using the TWRP recovery image before they could help me any further. So while in CWM(because that was the only way I could interact with my phone via adb) I loaded the TWRP image.

Now, I cannot open Recovery, and cannot interact with my phone. Tried different methods of connecting my phone to the PC, with no positive results.

C:\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>adb kill-server

C:\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>adb start-server
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *

C:\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>adb devices
List of devices attached

C:\Minimal ADB and Fastboot>

This was my first time unlocking, rooting, and flashing a ROM on any device. I used SunShine to unlock and S-Off, loaded SuperSU(everything was fine), then after that I tried loading ARHD 21, which is when all the trouble started.

All I wanted to do was to make my wife's phone work better after porting this phone from Verizon to T-Mobile by changing the band frequencies from CDMA to GSM.

So now that my recovery is not working, how can I connect my phone to the computer again to get this to work? No devices are recognized when the phone is connected to the PC. All current drivers are installed, however, when I connect my phone, I get a failure to install HTC MTP Drivers. Should I manually locate and install those first?

Thanks in advance for the help. The other forum site was difficult to navigate and find the correct area to post this issue.

Surreel

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Same way I installed CWM. Using the command line fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.8.0.2-m7.img ... This was the image that said it would work with my phone, but now that I look at the image name, I think I did the one for the M7... but I can't flash another recovery image because I can't even get the phone to show up as a device on the pc when connecting.

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
You need to use fastboot while in the bootloader not adb. So with the phone plugged in and in fastboot usb mode and a cmd promt open from your adb/fastboot folder and the recovery img inside that folder type this cmd. " fastboot flash recovery the name of recovery "
I always rename the recovery to "recovery" it makes it a bit easier to remember and type

Surreel

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
You need to use fastboot while in the bootloader not adb. So with the phone plugged in and in fastboot usb mode and a cmd promt open from your adb/fastboot folder and the recovery img inside that folder type this cmd. " fastboot flash recovery the name of recovery "
I always rename the recovery to "recovery" it makes it a bit easier to remember and type

.. You know what? You just cleared up a ton of headache and worry for me. I had no idea that there was a difference in connecting with fastboot and hboot so I kept trying to make changes when in the bootloader. After seeing your comment, my brain suddenly realized that when seeing "fastboot usb" that means it's connected and I should run my commands from there.

Unfortunately, after flashing the correct recovery, I cleared the cache by running fastboot erase cache and resinstalled the ARHD 11.2 ROM, with the same result. A blank screen. Shouldn't the phone immediately boot up into logo then the OS, or should I wait a while for the phone to boot up?

Surreel

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
Only as sure as the person on the xda forum who told me that the vzw m8 needs to run ARHD 11.2, and not 21... Is there a different ROM I can use that will allow me to change the carrier bands successfully? I also need wifi to work..

Ok thanks for the suggestions benny. I'll try that and then update the thread :)

Surreel

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
I have a question before I start flashing a new firmware. I bought SunShine to root my device and I want to make sure it's not going to unroot me again after the firmware update. Will I be ok to proceed, or is there another way I should flash the ROM before losing SunShine? Or.. will SunShine stay on my device?

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
You might need to go back to a older version of firmware to use ARHD. i would ask in that thread what firmware is needed to run it. I'm on Sprint and i know we have a mod for our BadBoyz rom to be able to run GSM.

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I have a question before I start flashing a new firmware. I bought SunShine to root my device and I want to make sure it's not going to unroot me again after the firmware update. Will I be ok to proceed, or is there another way I should flash the ROM before losing SunShine? Or.. will SunShine stay on my device?

sunshine gives you s-off. Root is in the software so flashing any custom rom will be prerooted already

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos