I have the HTC One S, you have questions -- FIRE AT WILL!

deleonj

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
hello there, new to the forum, i saw that you answered a question regarding to the AT&T bands. Again,im new here and the tech thing. i want to get the htc one s but im with at&t. some reviews say that the unlocked version works with the 3G network, while others are not clear.
so before i splurge on it, what's your take? does it work with at&t 3g bands or not?

Alex Dobie

Executive Editor, Android Central
Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
hello there, new to the forum, i saw that you answered a question regarding to the AT&T bands. Again,im new here and the tech thing. i want to get the htc one s but im with at&t. some reviews say that the unlocked version works with the 3G network, while others are not clear.
so before i splurge on it, what's your take? does it work with at&t 3g bands or not?

It does, AT&T 3G runs on 850MHz and 1900MHz, and the One S only supports 850. So you'll get AT&T 3G, but reception and coverage will likely be much poorer than on an AT&T approved phone, or an unlocked quad-band phone.

Alex Dobie

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
How is the size compared to Galaxy Nexus? I have a Galaxy Nexus and it is a little too big quite honestly, when talking on the phone, in the pocket, in a belt holster, unless I'm watching videos or reading books, GN is too big for me. I know that One S is 4.3 while nexus is 4.7 (or 4.6?), is the difference really noticeable?

Scroll to the end of our review for a comparison shot with the GNex and some other devices -- http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-one-s-review

Hi Phil, do you think the one s will be worth upgrading to from a sensation?

I'm not Phil, but I think it's a worthy upgrade from the Sensation. It's a slimmer, sleeker, faster, better version of that phone.

I find myself really respecting the opinions of the Android Central staff, and thus am wondering why no international review is forthcoming? Or are you simply waiting for the T-Mobile version to come out (which I'm actually more interested in finding more out about). Thanks for all the info you've already dropped, it's very much appreciated!

Our review is up! http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-one-s-review

Coming from a 2008 nokia cellphone display

Would the qHD SuperAMOLED pentile display bother me?

Would I not notice it and be wowed by its super amoled display?

Can the camera record 720p at 60 frames per second?

Coming from a Galaxy Nexus, I'm not even that bothered by it, so I think you'll be fine. The video camera tops out at 30fps, though in low light it'll cut back to around 19 :/

Any chance this is a "world phone" and has a Verizon's bands too? Some have said the Incredible 4G might actually be a renamed/badged One S, what do you think?

The Inc 4G is similar to the One S in a few ways, but radio freqs isn't one of them. Don't buy any GSM phone and expect to be able to use it on Verizon :)

Are the headphones Beats or is it just the software?
Just software. The headphones are the basic, crappy HTC ones.

Reactions: big_time2
Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Great job as usual guys and thanks a lot for taking the time to answer questions for us.

Is this phone worth upgrading to from the Amaze 4G? or should I wait around for the G4X to happen?
since you guys have more experience with releases and such... when do you think the G4X will arrive on T-mo?
Last but not least, how much better is the camera compared to the Amaze 4G one? Thanks.

atatistcheff

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
A month ago I was sold on the Samsung Galaxy S3 (or whatever it will be called) but I have slowly changed my mind and am planning on grabbing the One S as soon as it's available. My HTC G1 "Dream" was a great phone and I'm due for an upgrade from the Vibrant. Honestly, Samsung dropped the ball so badly with the Vibrant - first with the GPS which still is dreadful and second with the lack of Android updates. This has definitely impacted my decision to go back to HTC. If it wasn't for the rabid ROM developers for the Vibrant (mine is currently on ICS Passion) I don't know what I'd do.

Ok sorry for the rambling, now for the question. How do you think the camera on the GS3 will compare with the One S/X? The camera is the thing that really sealed the deal for me on the One S. Not just the megapixels but the speed and the 99 frame burst option. I know Samsung makes cameras too so I would expect something better than the stock ICS experience but will they be able to exceed the capabilities of this shooter?

Last edited:

nathan118

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm on Tmobile, and I've been dying waiting for the Galaxy Nexus...which may or may not ever come. (Yes, I know I can import it, but don't want a phone I can't even get serviced).

So my question is, how closely can I get the HTC One S to look like stock android? What's the phone like with Nova or Apex launcher installed? The ICS keyboard someone has ported in the Play store? Can you replace the lock screen...camera app?

If I can get this sucker close to stock, I might bite when it comes out in a few weeks. Screen wouldn't be as good as Galaxy Nexus, but camera would be better. At that point, only thing I'd be missing is free wireless hotspot, and I'd miss out on the (supposedly) quick nexus updates.

Anyone else in the same boat? Would love to see a video of this thing turned into "stock" android as much as possible.

Thanks in advance!

wally27

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Did anyone do any battery test on this phone yet? Seen a bunch of test with the htc one x.. one x had a good battery life and the one s was supposed to be better?

craZDude

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
If I get this phone for tmobile, how would it work if I needed to switch to AT&T?

Also, thanks for the review! I look forward to the tmobile version review! :)

Alex Dobie

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
will tmobile have pre orders for this? I want it rapido
i need an upgrade urgent
They should do. It's a big launch for them. We'll probably learn more at next Wednesday's launch event.
Great job as usual guys and thanks a lot for taking the time to answer questions for us.

Is this phone worth upgrading to from the Amaze 4G? or should I wait around for the G4X to happen?
since you guys have more experience with releases and such... when do you think the G4X will arrive on T-mo?
Last but not least, how much better is the camera compared to the Amaze 4G one? Thanks.
There's always something newer and shinier on the horizon, but if you upgrade from an Amaze to a One S, I don't think you'll be disappointed.
A month ago I was sold on the Samsung Galaxy S3 (or whatever it will be called) but I have slowly changed my mind and am planning on grabbing the One S as soon as it's available. My HTC G1 "Dream" was a great phone and I'm due for an upgrade from the Vibrant. Honestly, Samsung dropped the ball so badly with the Vibrant - first with the GPS which still is dreadful and second with the lack of Android updates. This has definitely impacted my decision to go back to HTC. If it wasn't for the rabid ROM developers for the Vibrant (mine is currently on ICS Passion) I don't know what I'd do.

Ok sorry for the rambling, now for the question. How do you think the camera on the GS3 will compare with the One S/X? The camera is the thing that really sealed the deal for me on the One S. Not just the megapixels but the speed and the 99 frame burst option. I know Samsung makes cameras too so I would expect something better than the stock ICS experience but will they be able to exceed the capabilities of this shooter?
We know nothing about the Galaxy S 3, so I can't really answer that. I'm sure it'll be a great phone when it arrives. The One S is also a great phone that's out now.
I'm on Tmobile, and I've been dying waiting for the Galaxy Nexus...which may or may not ever come. (Yes, I know I can import it, but don't want a phone I can't even get serviced).

So my question is, how closely can I get the HTC One S to look like stock android? What's the phone like with Nova or Apex launcher installed? The ICS keyboard someone has ported in the Play store? Can you replace the lock screen...camera app?

If I can get this sucker close to stock, I might bite when it comes out in a few weeks. Screen wouldn't be as good as Galaxy Nexus, but camera would be better. At that point, only thing I'd be missing is free wireless hotspot, and I'd miss out on the (supposedly) quick nexus updates.

Anyone else in the same boat? Would love to see a video of this thing turned into "stock" android as much as possible.

Thanks in advance!
If you want a phone with stock Android, get a phone with stock Android :)

You could strip out the Sense launcher and use another keyboard, but I'm of the opinion that you should be happy with the stock experience of any phone you buy.
Did anyone do any battery test on this phone yet? Seen a bunch of test with the htc one x.. one x had a good battery life and the one s was supposed to be better?
Battery life is pretty good. Right now mine is sitting on 13 hours with 60% charge remaining, around 1h45 screen on time.
If I get this phone for tmobile, how would it work if I needed to switch to AT&T?

Also, thanks for the review! I look forward to the tmobile version review! :)
Thanks! As for how it'd work on ATT, at best it'd work badly, at worst not at all. If you're on ATT, the One X is a good bet.
Any idea if this supports USB OTG?

It does not.

Speedygi

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Other than the sleek design, I don't see myself getting this over the HTC one X... It doesn't even have NFC...

But I know AT&T users are going to like the cheaper price point for this...

Speedygi

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
They should do. It's a big launch for them. We'll probably learn more at next Wednesday's launch event.

There's always something newer and shinier on the horizon, but if you upgrade from an Amaze to a One S, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

We know nothing about the Galaxy S 3, so I can't really answer that. I'm sure it'll be a great phone when it arrives. The One S is also a great phone that's out now.

You could strip out the Sense launcher and use another keyboard, but I'm of the opinion that you should be happy with the stock experience of any phone you buy.

Battery life is pretty good. Right now mine is sitting on 13 hours with 60% charge remaining, around 1h45 screen on time.

Thanks! As for how it'd work on ATT, at best it'd work badly, at worst not at all. If you're on ATT, the One X is a good bet.

It does not.

It's going to be dual core for the HTX One X on AT&T though...there's going to be a good chance many people will simply get the One S instead...At least I would if I were on AT&T...

Wait a minute, HTC One S doesn't support AT&T's current 3G bandwidths yet?

Last edited:

Explicit

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Phil,

Based off the leaked pics and specs that we have seen, do you believe that the DROID Incredible 4G is Verizons One S?

YaSo

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
After a week or so of use, how is the shell of the phone holding up, any issues with scratches or anything like that? I would like to know about both the micro-oxidation and the gradient versions. I recall in a podcast (yours or maybe someone else's) they mentioned some slight chipping or something near the microUSB port. Thanks!

live420

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
You know you really didn't answer his questions you sounded like a carrier trying to prevent someone from rooting their phone, I believe that their will be lot of support htc one series I'm sure someone will port aosp, aokp or CM9 at some point just be patient their already forums for one series there kinda empty though we'll see

Sent from my HTC HD2 using Tapatalk

nathan118

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

Uh...T-Mobile hasn't released a stock phone since the G2x...which they don't sell anymore. So telling me to get a stock android phone isn't helpful, not to mention it doesn't address my question.

I want to know how the One S runs with Apex or Nova, and the ICS keyboard. Hopefully Phil will have time to try this stuff out.

Alex Dobie

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Based off the leaked pics and specs that we have seen, do you believe that the DROID Incredible 4G is Verizons One S?

Looks like it, only with a different design and LTE, of course.

After a week or so of use, how is the shell of the phone holding up, any issues with scratches or anything like that? I would like to know about both the micro-oxidation and the gradient versions. I recall in a podcast (yours or maybe someone else's) they mentioned some slight chipping or something near the microUSB port. Thanks!

No scratches on the anodized aluminum version. Phil says his MAO version has some minor scuffs.

You know you really didn't answer his questions you sounded like a carrier trying to prevent someone from rooting their phone, I believe that their will be lot of support htc one series I'm sure someone will port aosp, aokp or CM9 at some point just be patient their already forums for one series there kinda empty though we'll see

Rooting is great, but I think if you're buying a phone you should at least be relatively happy with the stock firmware. I've no doubt we'll see CM and AOKP on the One S in time.

I want to know how the One S runs with Apex or Nova, and the ICS keyboard. Hopefully Phil will have time to try this stuff out.

Yep, they work on the One S and One X just like any other ICS phone.

Speedygi

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Does the One S have a front facing camera, Alex?

I know the One V doesn't have one, but does the One S have one ?

Jutje

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Hallo Android central,

I have a question, Why does HTC one S not come with NFC?:'(

Is there a way or another for not NFC enable devices to use the NFC technology?

Thank you