Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #26  
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    3,972 Global Posts

Default Re: T-Mobile HTC One S - Ask me anything

Quote Originally Posted by unit_three View Post
    I read on another forum that there might be a bug with the audio during Skype and some games (like GTA). Wondering if this happens on yours.

Are there any additional quirks/bugs that you have noticed?

Also, is the firmware a newer version compared to the European version? Maybe that's a dumb question haha
    LMAO. Last time I checked, Skype was one big bug.

Don't worry about firmware versions. Different phones on different networks with different radios darn well should have different firmwares. I'd worry if they didn't.

ROM
    CM 10.1

I thought carriers had about stopped with the whole Carrier IQ thing, but according to this T-Mo doc the One S has Carrier IQ, any thoughts on that? Personally I'm not swayed much by it as it'll get CM9'd as soon as it's available

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

Do you guys at the all-knowing Android Central have any recent 2012 T-Mobile roadmaps showing what other Android devices might be launching this year?? I am very ambivalent to the One S because of the lack of removable battery and lack of expandable memory and I don't want to use my upgrade on May 15th to only have buyers remorse 2 months later if the Galaxy S3 or something else were to launch! I know I can always buy one on Craigslist or something but it's easier to save my upgrade!

Ben

Global Posts
    81 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Thermalx View Post
    I thought carriers had about stopped with the whole Carrier IQ thing, but according to this T-Mo doc the One S has Carrier IQ, any thoughts on that? Personally I'm not swayed much by it as it'll get CM9'd as soon as it's available

Don't be too sure of that! lol. The Amaze has been out for months, and still doesn't have a daily driver worthy (unless you don't need data/voice) CM9 yet.

Global Posts
    559 Global Posts

I think Phil may have answered that already, assuming that CarrierIQ is covered by the HTC privacy opt-out:

http://www.androidcentral.com/sense-4-privacy

ROM
    CM 10.1

I can't disagree, my G2, which seemed to be a CM fav phone, still doesn't have CM9 either...

I have a value plan with Tmobile, and I was sold on forking out $600 for the oneS until this morning when google started selling the unlocked galnexus for $400. Does the $200 difference justify the faster processor and better camera in the oneS or is the $400 pure google phone with no contract extension going to suffice? How would you compare the two?

Global Posts
    559 Global Posts

Don't forget that the unlocked Nexus is only HSPA+ 21 too, while the One S is HSPA+ 42.
    cornasto likes this.

ROM
    CM 10.1

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Nickinson View Post
    It all depends on the coverage. If you're in a good T-Mobile area, the speeds can be great. Wifi calling is great if you're on Wifi.
    I think Phil hit the nail on the head with "If you're in a good T-Mobile area". In the Denver area I've seen up to 6 MB downloads and don't usually have issues getting at least 2 MB. I don't know where the LTE service tops out around here, but I know several people who can't consistently beat those numbers on Big Red's LTE.
    Jim

HTC One S, Nexus, S2 or wait for the S3?
    Android Connaisseur

Global Posts
    2,607 Global Posts

How much will the phone be with the value plan? 200 with 20 payments of 20?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Hey Phil thanks for taking the time to answer our questions.... I used to have an Amaze 4G and I was SO dissapointed by the screen... although it`s qHD at 256 PPI I used to see pixels ALL OVER the damn screen... colors and shading was pixelated... it was a disaster while my wife`s Vivid looked REALLY crisp.... does this happen with the One S screen since they have the same resolution and ppi? maybe it was just a S-LCD thing...

I have a question for all the audiophiles.
    I love the DAC that's in my Vibrant and GalaxyTab 10.1. The Wolfson Micro WM8994 Series for those that don't know. What DAC comes with the One S? and is the speaker on the phone loud enough for use with humans?

Thanks!
    -Rob

I'm on the verge of snatching up ONE S, especially with t-mobiles upcoming $100 trade in for a working smartphone. Bye, Bye old G1.

But wait with the pentaband GNEX on Google Play for $399 I'm not sure what to do. The GNEX would obviously be a bigger, purer experience.

Which way to go? I will say I love the sense calendar and agenda widgets.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #40  

Global Posts
    3,972 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by venious View Post
    I think Phil may have answered that already, assuming that CarrierIQ is covered by the HTC privacy opt-out:

http://www.androidcentral.com/sense-4-privacy
    Actually, no. That's for Sense and Tell HTC.

Gonna do a separate post on the T-Mobile thing here in a minute. (Meant to do it in the review, actually.)

Phil,

Any news as to when the black version will be available for T-mo?

Thanks

My contract is up in a couple of months, so I have time, but thinking ahead, I'm REALLY nervous about that battery. I had the HTC G1, which had a CRAP battery, and I keep hearing that HTC keeps putting form over functionality and thinks battery life is not important. That coupled with a non-removable battery makes me leery. I want a smartphone that can last the whole day without a charge. I currently have the Samsung Vibrant, but I'm turned off by Samsung because once they issue their phone, they move on to the next one and don't support the original. Any more thoughts on the battery life, Phil?

What about battery life? My sensation and amaze will last 5 or 6 hours on standby, just reading and answering a few emails and a couple of calls... I have them customized to save battery but it won't last more than 6 hours. Is this fixed now?
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #44  

Global Posts
    3,972 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alvaromiami View Post
    What about battery life? My sensation and amaze will last 5 or 6 hours on standby, just reading and answering a few emails and a couple of calls... I have them customized to save battery but it won't last more than 6 hours. Is this fixed now?
    Not sure what you expect to be "fixed" from one phone to another. It's an entirely different device, altogether.

Thanked by:
    Andrew Martonik likes this.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #45  

Global Posts
    3,972 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    My contract is up in a couple of months, so I have time, but thinking ahead, I'm REALLY nervous about that battery. I had the HTC G1, which had a CRAP battery, and I keep hearing that HTC keeps putting form over functionality and thinks battery life is not important. That coupled with a non-removable battery makes me leery. I want a smartphone that can last the whole day without a charge. I currently have the Samsung Vibrant, but I'm turned off by Samsung because once they issue their phone, they move on to the next one and don't support the original. Any more thoughts on the battery life, Phil?
    It really, REALLY comes down to your connection to TMo. If you're in a good network spot, battery life actually is pretty good.

If you can be on Wifi as much as possible, it's even better.

And we all need to remember that battery life and battery capacity are two different things.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #46  

Global Posts
    3,972 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bpacheco89 View Post
    Phil,

Any news as to when the black version will be available for T-mo?

Thanks
    Wasn't aware that it'd been announced. So ... no.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #47  

Global Posts
    3,972 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Wolf View Post
    Hey Phil thanks for taking the time to answer our questions.... I used to have an Amaze 4G and I was SO dissapointed by the screen... although it`s qHD at 256 PPI I used to see pixels ALL OVER the damn screen... colors and shading was pixelated... it was a disaster while my wife`s Vivid looked REALLY crisp.... does this happen with the One S screen since they have the same resolution and ppi? maybe it was just a S-LCD thing...
    Not sure about the Vivid. But, yeah. It's noticeable. Takes some getting used to if you're coming back to qHD Super AMOLED from 720p LCD 2 plus. :-/
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #48  

Global Posts
    3,972 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jrsmith43 View Post
    I'm on the verge of snatching up ONE S, especially with t-mobiles upcoming $100 trade in for a working smartphone. Bye, Bye old G1.

But wait with the pentaband GNEX on Google Play for $399 I'm not sure what to do. The GNEX would obviously be a bigger, purer experience.

Which way to go? I will say I love the sense calendar and agenda widgets.
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

That's a tough call. Go to the store and feel this thing in your hand. It's sexier in that respect.

If I get to the T Mobile store when it opens will there be a line? Do you think they'll run out of the HTC One S in a day? Should I order it online instead?

I got a chance to play with a ONE S last Friday by walking into a store and asking if they had one. They had just gotten it that day and were all phone dork excited about it, like myself, so they busted it out. It was very sexy and after 5 minutes I was excited about it and left jazzed. That being said, the pentile screen irked me on the S. I have spent a little time with the GNEX in verizon store and while I like the idea of the bigger screen for Netflix I'm not so sure about the price difference. If I can snag the trade in deal I could buy the ONE S and an ensquared warranty for $50 less than a GNEX.

Uggh, first world problems!!!!!!!!!!!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast