Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    ROM
    vanilla...mmmmm

Default Re: T-Mobile HTC One S - Ask me anything

Phil should I have Cheerios or mini wheats for breakfast. I love mini wheat but I heard Cheerios are healthier. What do you think.
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #52  
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    3,970 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sewnrunner View Post
    If I get to the T Mobile store when it opens will there be a line? Do you think they'll run out of the HTC One S in a day? Should I order it online instead?
    Pro tip: Bring donuts.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #53  
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    3,970 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tanson1011 View Post
    Phil should I have Cheerios or mini wheats for breakfast. I love mini wheat but I heard Cheerios are healthier. What do you think.
    DONUTS.

To all those wanting to root and put an AOSP ROM on their One series phone: I wonder how that image processor chip is going to do with AOSP? Is there code for it out there, available so it'll work?

I hope so!

Plan in hand. Pick up a HTC ONE S, hopefully with the $100 trade in. Test drive it for 24 hours, very carefully. Place on craigslist for $399. Decide to sell it. Order GNEX from Google Play and end up spending $150 for a GSM Galaxy Nexus, taxes and shipping.

HTC ONE S
    $249.99
    -$100 T-Mobile Smartphone trade in
    $99.99 final out of pocket

Sell on craigslist / ebay
    $399
    -$99 out of pocket for HTC ONE S

$434.07 according to Google Platy Checkout for Galaxy Nexus shipped and taxed to me
    -$300 cleared on ONE S

Just my 13407 cents worth after an evening of consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by cubatista92 View Post
    HTC one S or Motorola Razr?

Which phone should I get?
    Here are the cons of each one when compared to one another.

HTC ONE S cons
    No SD Card
    Only 10GB of user available storage
    Shorter Battery life
    Bigger form factor (although they are both 4.3" screens)
    Small front-facing camera

Motorola Razr cons
    No ICS yet
    Slower processor (1.2ghz vs 1.5ghz on the ONE S)
    Not many camera features
    older phone in general (I prefer the newest tech)
    No FM radio
    No 4G (although my network currently offers HSDPA+ only)

although it may seem straight forward given I have more 'cons' for the Motorola razr, I prefer to have a longer battery life. That is one of the most important things I need. It offers an expandable memory, which I usually need.
    I don't play a lot of games, usually Sudoku, but I don't know how the different processors will be able to handle my multitasking. Which I do a lot of.
    Can anybody give me their opinion on these phones? Which one will suit me best. I edit docs on the go, check the news and email. Battery life is essential because I am not constantly near chargers. I use every single trick to extend battery life. (I am unable to get the RAZR MAXX but I would).
    My previous phone was an Atrix and used to get stuck all the time when I was playing music and working at the same time.
    Don't offer me any new alternatives, please. I'm already having a hard time deciding.
    Thanks in advance.
    You can't simply compare the CPU clock speeds of the two. The One S has an S4 dual core vs the Razr's relatively older OMAP 4430, not to mention the GPU performance. The S4 is also theoretically supposed to be more power efficient.

Phil makes a valid point also about the carrier, unless you're importing a GSM unlocked Razr (if it exists).

Quote Originally Posted by KoukiFC3S View Post
    How much will the phone be with the value plan? 200 with 20 payments of 20?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    That is correct. I saw it at a T-Mobile store today.
    Thanked by:

ROM
    ILWT CM7

Do you know if the black (red accent) version will eventually be released on T-Mobile?

Edit: Ah, missed that this question was asked a page or so ago. My apologies.
    Samsung Galaxy S3 | CM10 Slim Bean | TWRP Recovery | HTC Vision | CM9 Mimicry | 4EXT Touch Recovery
    Android Connaisseur

Global Posts
    2,604 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jrsmith43 View Post

PM sent.

Quote Originally Posted by jrsmith43 View Post
    Plan in hand. Pick up a HTC ONE S, hopefully with the $100 trade in. Test drive it for 24 hours, very carefully. Place on craigslist for $399. Decide to sell it. Order GNEX from Google Play and end up spending $150 for a GSM Galaxy Nexus, taxes and shipping.

HTC ONE S
    $249.99
    -$100 T-Mobile Smartphone trade in
    $99.99 final out of pocket

Sell on craigslist / ebay
    $399
    -$99 out of pocket for HTC ONE S

$434.07 according to Google Platy Checkout for Galaxy Nexus shipped and taxed to me
    -$300 cleared on ONE S

You will get more then 100 for your phone on ebay then going through T-Mobile. ALOT more depending on the phone you have

You will get more then 100 for your phone on ebay then going through T-Mobile. ALOT more depending on the phone you have
    Not all phones - I traded in a Cliq I had lying around (I wanted to keep my G2!) I checked eBay and not many people want a used Cliq. The current trade-in promo was definitely the better deal on that one.
    ingram1225 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by popartist View Post
    Not all phones - I traded in a Cliq I had lying around (I wanted to keep my G2!) I checked eBay and not many people want a used Cliq. The current trade-in promo was definitely the better deal on that one.
    I traded in my old Cliq XT. Got $100 rebate which the Tmobile store took care of for me. Also a $50 manufacture rebate = my HTC One S was just $126 before upgrade fee and taxes.

I did buy a zagg full body but opted out on the tmobile cases. Just not my cup of tea plus I don't want to hide this beautiful body; the phones, not mine :P

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Nickinson View Post
    I've got one. You don't. Fire away!!!
    how is your battery life?

After 5h 32m on battery, Screen on 66%, Internet 7%, cell standby 7% and wifi running 3h 43min... im at a low 35% battery left.

I had to charge my phone twice today, this a full 24 hours since I had the phone.

Oh brightness is set to auto, wifi is not at full performance, 2g/3g/4g is on auto, sync is set to a minimum with google taking up most of that.

Now at work im in a concrete building... so I UNDERSTAND the battery drain, especially on 4g but at home on wifi i expected to see the battery last a lot longer. I am literally watching the batter icon count down... kinda like your first v8 car's gas gauge when going 55mph on the hwy.

Global Posts
    559 Global Posts

I've gotten 3.5 hours + of screen on time with 14 hours + before charging, so you have a problem. Check tmobiles support site for an article about the WiFi calling feature draining the battery quicker than it should. If it isn't that then maybe your handset is defective.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by venious View Post
    I've gotten 3.5 hours + of screen on time with 14 hours + before charging, so you have a problem. Check tmobiles support site for an article about the WiFi calling feature draining the battery quicker than it should. If it isn't that then maybe your handset is defective.

Thanks for the reply. I always assumed that the wifi enabled combined with wifi calling would decrease the battery drain compared to a tower calling because the signal is stronger, thus the receiver on the phone does not have to work as hard/boost the antenna strength.

I'll look around on tmobiles site, but as of last night there was very little in the way of the HTC One S battery issues. Most of it was with the myTouch3g short batter life when tmobile switched to the new signal type.

Global Posts
    559 Global Posts

I've used this since the 25th, but I haven't noticed a problem. They say there is a fix coming though. Maybe they are saying that wifi calling feature, while actually on a call, causes more drain than necessary.

Oh, when wifi calling is enabled as "preferred", it automatically disables the phone's wireless radio so you'd think this would actually reduce battery usage since the radio for 802.11b/g/n is a lot lower power than your 2/3/4g radio.

I've used this since the 25th, but I haven't noticed a problem. They say there is a fix coming though. Maybe they are saying that wifi calling feature, while actually on a call, causes more drain than necessary.
    could be the case. thanks for passing on the info. I too have had my One s since the 25th (that evening. I was the first person to buy it at the local tmobile store. The sad part was, it was around 4pm when i bought it.

Global Posts
    559 Global Posts

Yeah, I haven't seen any One S commercials by T-Mobile yet. I have seen some with the new Girl rework though. Something has to drive people into the T-Mobile store, and it looks like they have to rely on word of mouth and people seeing the One S in someone's hand. Advertising doesn't come cheap, so I'll be enjoying this 4G network while everyone at AT&T and Verizon fight for their LTE bandwidth and outages. I moved from Verizon to T-Mobile, and I'm happy so far.
    ingram1225 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Nickinson View Post
    I've got one. You don't. Fire away!!!
    OK next question: How do you get a screen shot? I read that it was a default function with ICS. Did Sense 4.0 do away with it?

HTC has been adding a screenshot feature to their recent phones. On my Rezound, you hold down the power button while pressing the Home capacitive button. I believe the One S should work the same way. Stock ICS does it differently.

One S / Sense 4 question: Anybody use any of the 1x1 HTC toggle widgets? I'm wondering if the WiFi widget toggles on/off or takes you to the settings menu. Thanks.

The battery life on this phone is great. Way better than my amaze, gs2 or any other smartphone that ive owned.

My settings are...

Screen brightness @ 25%
    Auto sync is on to sync 2 g mail accounts & weather.
    I usually use my WiFi @ home but around town I'm on 4g when needed, if not its always off.

This phone is blazing fast. Beats any current phone out at the moment.

Global Posts
    559 Global Posts

WiFi widget toggles on/off or takes you to the settings menu.
    Confirmed that the1x1 turns WiFi on and off.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails T-Mobile HTC One S - Ask me anything-uploadfromtaptalk1335588642034.jpg  

Confirmed that the1x1 turns WiFi on and off.

Is there any way to turn off the Sense lock-screen? I only want one lock-screen to get into the phone from sleep, the face-unlock or pattern, but now you have to get past the Sense lock before the Android lock-screen comes up.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast