Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    4,154 Global Posts

Default T-Mobile HTC One S - Ask me anything

I've got one. You don't. Fire away!!!

ROM
    OpenSensation

Default Re: T-Mobile HTC One S - Ask me anything

Does it come with wi-fi calling app?

ROM

Can you let us know the battery life in a couple of days? Headphones any good? Worth upgrading from the sensation ? Thanks for the help

Global Posts
    17 Global Posts

Do you have the Google Play Movies and Books apps in the launcher? My One X didn't include them, although they are accessible via the Play Store.

ROM
    Venom, Gummy

How is that S4 compared to the tegra 3 (Real Life usage)?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Nickinson View Post
    you mean *** sonofagun lol

I have a question. What happens if you stick it in a box and send it to West Virginia?
    I'll bet it's something wonderful.

:P
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
    Dhalgren likes this.

How difficult would it be to unlock the T-mobil version so that it could be used with SIMs in Europe and Asia?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Nickinson View Post
    Blam! Oops, sorry ... I was aiming for the apple sitting on your head....
    Quote Originally Posted by santos_t View Post
    Should be no app required on T-Mo. They rolled it out to the Amaze late December. Just enables it in the Wireless settings....
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Hildenbrand View Post
    I have a question. What happens if you stick it in a box and send it to West Virginia? I'll bet it's something wonderful.
    Postage's cheaper to RTP, NC. I'll send you my Amaze as a consolation prize. :P

Okay, questions. I know that with only the onboard 9GB available, the camera's ability to record much 720P or 1080P video is pretty slim ... < a minute. Did you top out your storage with that lovely Seattle skyline video?

Have you tried the Dropbox integration? In practice, how's it work having all your images/video sync to the cloud after taking? Seeing much of your data plan after a day of sightseeing? (Dont' tell me T-Mobile didn't see this coming, and rub their hands together ravenously.)

How's it set on a tabletop? Does it rest flat with that camera bezel? I imagine the On^H^HWeeble X wobbles but won't fall down....
    Sent by accident, not using the Android Central app
    Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb). Next stop, a Google flush toilet.
    Did I solve your problem? Hit the Thanks button. Was I just a nuisance? Sorry, can't bat .400 every day.

What's the benefit of wifi calling?

I am not familiar with this function, can anyone explain it and why it is special?
    Banned

ROM
    Reflash Miui every2-3days

How'd you get one?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Global Posts
    4,154 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bbits View Post
    Do you have the Google Play Movies and Books apps in the launcher? My One X didn't include them, although they are accessible via the Play Store.
    Just load them from Google Play. They'll work fine.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Global Posts
    4,154 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by santos_t View Post
    Answered that one in our Complete T-Mobile HTC One S Review.

(Yes, it is included.)

HTC one S or Motorola Razr?

Which phone should I get?
    Here are the cons of each one when compared to one another.

HTC ONE S cons
    No SD Card
    Only 10GB of user available storage
    Shorter Battery life
    Bigger form factor (although they are both 4.3" screens)
    Small front-facing camera

Motorola Razr cons
    No ICS yet
    Slower processor (1.2ghz vs 1.5ghz on the ONE S)
    Not many camera features
    older phone in general (I prefer the newest tech)
    No FM radio
    No 4G (although my network currently offers HSDPA+ only)

although it may seem straight forward given I have more 'cons' for the Motorola razr, I prefer to have a longer battery life. That is one of the most important things I need. It offers an expandable memory, which I usually need.
    I don't play a lot of games, usually Sudoku, but I don't know how the different processors will be able to handle my multitasking. Which I do a lot of.
    Can anybody give me their opinion on these phones? Which one will suit me best. I edit docs on the go, check the news and email. Battery life is essential because I am not constantly near chargers. I use every single trick to extend battery life. (I am unable to get the RAZR MAXX but I would).
    My previous phone was an Atrix and used to get stuck all the time when I was playing music and working at the same time.
    Don't offer me any new alternatives, please. I'm already having a hard time deciding.
    Thanks in advance.

Let's say you have a T-Mo HTC SENSATION 4G... is it worth upgrading? please advise (not talking about money-wise)
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Global Posts
    4,154 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cristrip View Post
    Let's say you have a T-Mo HTC SENSATION 4G... is it worth upgrading? please advise (not talking about money-wise)
    For me? To get ICS and Sense 4 and that sexy form factor? Yeah. I would. (And if we don't care about money.)
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Global Posts
    4,154 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cubatista92 View Post
    HTC one S or Motorola Razr?

Which phone should I get?
    Here are the cons of each one when compared to one another.

HTC ONE S cons
    No SD Card
    Only 10GB of user available storage
    Shorter Battery life
    Bigger form factor (although they are both 4.3" screens)
    Small front-facing camera

Motorola Razr cons
    No ICS yet
    Slower processor (1.2ghz vs 1.5ghz on the ONE S)
    Not many camera features
    older phone in general (I prefer the newest tech)
    No FM radio
    No 4G (although my network currently offers HSDPA+ only)

although it may seem straight forward given I have more 'cons' for the Motorola razr, I prefer to have a longer battery life. That is one of the most important things I need. It offers an expandable memory, which I usually need.
    I don't play a lot of games, usually Sudoku, but I don't know how the different processors will be able to handle my multitasking. Which I do a lot of.
    Can anybody give me their opinion on these phones? Which one will suit me best. I edit docs on the go, check the news and email. Battery life is essential because I am not constantly near chargers. I use every single trick to extend battery life. (I am unable to get the RAZR MAXX but I would).
    My previous phone was an Atrix and used to get stuck all the time when I was playing music and working at the same time.
    Don't offer me any new alternatives, please. I'm already having a hard time deciding.
    Thanks in advance.
    You left out the most important consideration. Carrier.

If you're just talking phone vs. phone, it's tough. But I like the way the One S feels compared to the RAZR. I prefer a phone that doesn't feel like it was designed to attack.

Will it work with T-Mobile's prepaid plans?
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Global Posts
    4,154 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbare View Post
    Will it work with T-Mobile's prepaid plans?
    Dunno why it wouldn't.

T-Mobile unboxing videos show that the specs list video recording as 1080p HD video at 60 frames per second..

Is 60 fps a typo?(sounds too good to be true) I always thought it was 30 and fell off my chair when the box listed 60 ..

Global Posts
    563 Global Posts

Phil,

I saw you mention that you are a T-Mobile subscriber and I keep hearing that HSPA+ is actually faster on mobile phones right now that LTE. Maybe you can give some of us non-T-Mobile subscribers an overview of what to expect from HSPA+ (vs LTE), their WiFi calling to fill the coverage gaps, and previous software update release timeliness, if we decided to jump ship and move to T-Mobile for this phone. What would make us regret leaving our current carrier? Thanks!

A few questions. First, I listened to the Vergecast podcast review and they loved the phone but said the display was poor. I checked the screen specs on my current phone, Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant and its:

Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
    480 x 800 pixels, 4.0 inches (~233 ppi pixel density)
    Corning Gorilla Glass

I think the display on my Vibrant is beautiful. The display specs on the One S seems similar to me as both are Amoled. From T-Mobile's site

"4.3” qHD Super AMOLED Touch Screen
    Experience incredible clarity and vibrant color on a 960x540 qHD Super AMOLED touch screen."

Are HTC's screens just lower quality?

Second question is does the One S have Swype?
    Third question is have you tried bluetooth yet? One complaint about my Vibrant is its undependable connection to Sync in my Ford. If I do a factory reset its fine for a while but eventually Sync will fail to detect the phone on its own. I have to manually reconnect it.
    Last edited by ImTheDuke; 04-20-2012 at 07:41 PM.
  22. Thread Author  Thread Author    #22  

Global Posts
    4,154 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ImTheDuke View Post
    A few questions. First, I listened to the Vergecast podcast review and they loved the phone but said the display was poor. I checked the screen specs on my current phone, Samsung Galaxy S Vibrant and its:

Super AMOLED capacitive touchscreen, 16M colors
    480 x 800 pixels, 4.0 inches (~233 ppi pixel density)
    Corning Gorilla Glass

I think the display on my Vibrant is beautiful. The display specs on the One S seems similar to me as both are Amoled. From T-Mobile's site

"4.3 qHD Super AMOLED Touch Screen
    Experience incredible clarity and vibrant color on a 960x540 qHD Super AMOLED touch screen."

Are HTC's screens just lower quality?
    Well, it's not really "HTC's screen." They don't make it. The fact is it's not as good as what's on the One X. Period. Anyone who's seen the One X screen is going to be disappointed by the One S screen. But as I said in my review, it's not necessarily a deal killer.

Second question is does the One S have Swype?
    Not out of the box. You'll have to install the beta. But it does have HTC's version of Swype, which has gotten better.

Third question is have you tried bluetooth yet? One complaint about my Vibrant is its undependable connection to Sync in my Ford. If I do a factory reset its fine for a while but eventually Sync will fail to detect the phone on its own. I have to manually reconnect it.
    Yes, but not with a Ford. I know BT can be touchy, though. Best bet is to start a new thread here asking Ford owners once they get the phone. (But FWIW, I haven't had BT problems with anything I've tried to connect it to.)
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Global Posts
    4,154 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by venious View Post
    Phil,

I saw you mention that you are a T-Mobile subscriber and I keep hearing that HSPA+ is actually faster on mobile phones right now that LTE. Maybe you can give some of us non-T-Mobile subscribers an overview of what to expect from HSPA+ (vs LTE), their WiFi calling to fill the coverage gaps, and previous software update release timeliness, if we decided to jump ship and move to T-Mobile for this phone. What would make us regret leaving our current carrier? Thanks!
    It all depends on the coverage. If you're in a good T-Mobile area, the speeds can be great. Wifi calling is great if you're on Wifi.
    benpierce likes this.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Global Posts
    4,154 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AndroidBlizzard View Post
    T-Mobile unboxing videos show that the specs list video recording as 1080p HD video at 60 frames per second..

Is 60 fps a typo?(sounds too good to be true) I always thought it was 30 and fell off my chair when the box listed 60 ..

Click to view quoted image
    Sure sounds high, but I just confirmed 60fps with HTC.

I read on another forum that there might be a bug with the audio during Skype and some games (like GTA). Wondering if this happens on yours.

Are there any additional quirks/bugs that you have noticed?

Also, is the firmware a newer version compared to the European version? Maybe that's a dumb question haha
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast