Battery mysteriously drains

himenohogosha

May 5, 2012
Visit site
My wife had her One S charging over night, and this morning around 9am unplugged it and went to work. Near the end of the day around 6pm, it notified that the battery was low, and shortly after that powered itself off. She says she barely used the phone, just to send a few texts, and that wifi had been off since she left the house.

I checked the native battery usage app in ICS and took a screenshot:
yj6pl.png

It looks like something just mysteriously drained the battery constantly since the phone was unplugged. As you can tell from the screenshot GPS and Wifi were both off, and the screen was rarely on. I'm not sure what it means by "Awake", but at some point during the day the phone became awake and stayed that way, which accelerated the battery drain.

Does anybody know any more ways I can debug this or find out what happened?

tbonn41fn

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I have not had that problem, knock on wood. To avoid battery going low, set up the device to sleep. It's in setting then phone I think, and choose when you want your phone to sleep. Hope this helps.....

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Android Central Forums

jibby

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
It looks to me that the phone is in a bad coverage area.. My battery will last all day at home with heavy usage, but at the office, where service is terrible, it drains VERY quickly. I think the radio is using too much power in these situations.

One thing that does help is to change it to GSM network only. You will only have 2G data service, but it doesnt look like 4G speeds are needed through the day here.. So give that a try.

tbonn41fn

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
I agree. Awake means its on. Also, uncheck the awake when its in charge mode. This should reduce the heat on phone and battery will last longer.
Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Android Central Forums

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
not sure if this is something you would want to mess with, but you can also try settings>develpoer options> background process limit> and you can pick no background processes or 1 at most. but that is weird, my guess is what jibby said.... switch to GSM should save a bunch.
good luck

himenohogosha

May 5, 2012
Visit site
We didn't change any settings on her phone but this phenomenon didn't seem to happen again. My phone on the other hand has been rebooting randomly while being asleep in my pocket... so I'm going to try and trade it in for another one.

joenorwood77

May 26, 2012
Visit site
The battery is usually good for me, but on some random days, even when the phone is fully charged at the start of the day, I find it mostly dead before I leave. I have religiously used task manager to "stop all" before walking into work, but the battery still has days where it is at around 3-5% remaining. Most days it is around 50% after being idle in my pocket for 10 hours or so. Is this an issue that is just going to be fixed during phone upgrades or is it more than that?

303kush

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
What do you expect a from a mini computer...even if its on idle it will still eat battery, the phone IS ON...just like if you leave your laptop on but "idling" the battery will drain either way..try turning auto brightness off and set your screen brightness to %25. I use android assistant for that so I get a accurate percentage reading. Me personally I keep my 4g off most of the time unless I need a mobile connection.

feoysolo

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
What do you expect a from a mini computer...even if its on idle it will still eat battery, the phone IS ON...just like if you leave your laptop on but "idling" the battery will drain either way..try turning auto brightness off and set your screen brightness to %25. I use android assistant for that so I get a accurate percentage reading. Me personally I keep my 4g off most of the time unless I need a mobile connection.

That's not particularly helpful.

I have had the same issue a couple of times. I've had the phone for about a month now and I am still gauging the regular-use battery life of the phone. Several times I have checked the battery remaining in the late afternoon (around 4pm) and seen it at 65% or so only to check it again two hours later and see it at ~10% or less. Didn't think to try and take a screenshot like the OP's but will definitely do that if it happens again.

Definitely something seriously wrong but I have no idea what. Luckily it hasn't happened for a while now but it still makes me a little nervous.

Oh, and I have had the random reboot problem a few times as well, and have taken the option to "send error report" to HTC. Again this hasn't happened for a while now, but I suppose we'll see. Please post your experience if you try to get an exchange. Do you have the insurance?