Storage: I only have 9.75 gigs, what gives!?!

halcyonku

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
So I just got my HTC One S yesterday. Awesome phone. Call quality is good, its fast, looks great, weighs nothing.

However I go to add a bunch of music and a few movies to the phone, and it it is only showing 9.75 GB available. There is no way 6 GB have been taken up by all of the other preinstalled ware. Anyone else have this issue? I could see maybe 1 or 2, but not 6.

Thoughts? Did I get a bad phone?

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Nope... they're all that way.

The amount of storage that they list is what's physically available on the phone, not what is available to the user. It's the same way as a hard drive on a computer.... It doesn't mean you have all of that amount available to you. A portion of that hard drive is going to be taken up by the operating system, drivers, programs, etc. Android is no different (Android is basically Linux).

The phone has 9.75GB for pictures, movies, music and 2.2GB for apps and app data. 9.75 + 2.2 = ~12GB. The remaining goes for OS (1 GB), installed apps and space to execute apps (2 GB) and general cache (remaining).

Reactions: halcyonku

halcyonku

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Thanks much! I had assumed a few GB would be eaten by various system needs, but I had no idea it would be that much. Thanks much for the quick reply!

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks much! I had assumed a few GB would be eaten by various system needs, but I had no idea it would be that much. Thanks much for the quick reply!

Yep... its very misleading especially when you consider its only 16GB to begin with and most consumers focus on the capacity of the phones storage. When its a 500GB or 1TB computer hard drive... you really don't notice or pay attention to that type of stuff but that's how it works. Around 10GB left over for the user, 2GB dedicated to internal app storage and 4GB being taken up by the OS and all other crap. So you basically have 12GB in the end out of the 16.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc