1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Did software update provide a sufficient fix?

Got the recent software update for the htc one s? Did it help your phone's performance?

Looking for comments focused on the update's impact on your phone, not how to get update (there are other threads)
    I need to decide whether to get one after I returned my seriously buggy one recently.

thanks

ROM
    HyperDroid v5.3 CM7.1

Default Re: Did software update provide a sufficient fix?

It helped. I notice that my One S runs smoother. I don't think there was much improvement in the radio update though. Seems like data speed is the same.

It hasn't really helped the one glitch with my phone, which is sometimes it doesn't reestablish signal and/or data after a drop, without having to go in/out of Airplane mode. The drops seem to happening less frequently though.

Global Posts
    559 Global Posts

I still have two problems, and both may never be fixed:

- high latency (1000+ ms) making any real time app painful
    - wifi calling sounds like crap, with frequent popping noises. I've disabled it, so I'm sure there may be other bugs in it as well.

All the other bugs are really minor, and aren't worth mentioning. So, if you won't be using realtime apps like Skype or SSH consoles, and you don't think you'll need wifi calling to make up for T-Mobile's wireless coverage gaps, then pull the trigger.

Sent from my HTC One S on T-Mobile

I have zero service where I live (the bottom level in a house share situation). With my Blackberry, wifi calling was nearly perfect. The One S has been a significant downgrade for my needs. Of course the apps are fun, but the wifi calling is terrible. Often times I need to end the call and call back to attempt getting a better sounding connection. I am also furious that calls drop when going from wifi area to cellular area and when going from cellular area to wifi area. Most times I start a call I am either A) home but will leave the house during my call or B) not at my house but will arrive there during my call. It is a huge inconvenience to have calls drop like this when my Blackberry never did. T-Mobile blames HTC and HTC blames T-Mobile. I guess all Androids with T-Mobile have this same issue? *sigh*

Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

My biggest concern was the wifi calling not working and my signal dropping constantly. The wifi calling is working pretty well now, but i do get complaints about the sound quality. As for the signal issues, it's better but I still drop more calls now than i ever did while on Sprint. I don't know if this is a phone issue or just the difference in coverage in my area. I live in Dayton OH. Other folks that I know on T-Mobile don't seem to have the same signal issues with their phones.

Quote Originally Posted by joenorwood77 View Post
    I have zero service where I live (the bottom level in a house share situation). With my Blackberry, wifi calling was nearly perfect. The One S has been a significant downgrade for my needs. Of course the apps are fun, but the wifi calling is terrible. Often times I need to end the call and call back to attempt getting a better sounding connection. I am also furious that calls drop when going from wifi area to cellular area and when going from cellular area to wifi area. Most times I start a call I am either A) home but will leave the house during my call or B) not at my house but will arrive there during my call. It is a huge inconvenience to have calls drop like this when my Blackberry never did. T-Mobile blames HTC and HTC blames T-Mobile. I guess all Androids with T-Mobile have this same issue? *sigh*
    Calls dropping when going from wifi to cellular is a "feature" of T-Mobile's implementation of wi-fi calling for Android, so in this case it is on T-Mo, not HTC.

Quote Originally Posted by popartist View Post
    Calls dropping when going from wifi to cellular is a "feature" of T-Mobile's implementation of wi-fi calling for Android, so in this case it is on T-Mo, not HTC.
    I have been with T-Mobile for ten years now and have been a happy customer overall. However, this issue alone of dropping calls when going between wifi and cellular is enough for me to switch companies. I will definitely pay the early cancellation fee if this will not be changed and if other cell companies do not have the same issue. Why aren't more people making a big deal about this???

Global Posts
    559 Global Posts

When working correctly, you get a warning when your call may drop because of your distance away from the access point. T-Mobile's documents are very up front about the limitation. I'm not aware of any other voip product that hands off to a cell tower in this situation. However, there is a bug where the call will just drop out of the blue when using wifi calling, and that needs to be fixed.

Sent from my HTC One S on T-Mobile