ONE S backup SMS from email? [SOLVED]

phonohead

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

I recently did a backup of all my SMS by sending them to my email. All this was done via the settings offered by the phone itself.

The file was sent to my email as a "***.hbk" file. I added this file to my phone by connecting it as an external disk, but when I go to
SMS -> restore it tells me that no backup file can be found on my phones memory.

Now, this gives me the idea that I should add the "hbk"-file to my phones internal memory. How can I - if possible - access this part
of the phone? Or are there any alternative methods to restore the text messages?

All help appreciated!

Last edited:

phonohead

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
Re: ONE S backup SMS from email?

Solved! For anyone who may run into this problem, the sms backup file is stored at:

/sdcard/sms_backup

(Obviously, maybe)

Add the backup file there, and restoring it from the SMS settings should be able to restore your text messages!

Sent from my HTC One S using Android Central Forums

dad2_7rcaf

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
I take it that you are looking into what is called (My Computer\HTC One S\ Internal storage) I have the same problem now said all is needed it to copy and put it in /sdcard/sms_backup, Ok now my problem is that is a number of files there or folders named or labeled .adc - .android_secured - .data - ....etc down to where podcast -ringtones - sygic , Now this is what I see which folder do I need to go to and open to see /sdcard/sms_backup ?

All help is appreciated thank you.

Last edited:

phonohead

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
If you have not done a backup of text messages, yet, then that folder /sdcard/sms_backup does not exist. Please, try to do a backup and see if it appears?

dad2_7rcaf

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
I have backed up my text message they show as a hbk file but phone still say no files found and no indacaition of a folder named /sdcard/sms_backup shows now if this is a lost couse is there a program out where it will convert hbk files and I can just copy and paste my text notepad or wordpad and just save it on my computer? Also HTC did a update inwhich it changed the lay out of there folders I forgot to add that on last post.Oh yes another thing I backed up my messages cause on that up date it didn't work and I had too do a factory reset ,I still have it as a attachment in my email and on my desk top on my computer.
Again all help is most appreciated thank you.

dad2_7rcaf

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for your help as I read and tryed one of appication that was suited for my phone it was not able to restore or allow me to convert the hbk file it would appear that I may have lost the data I hope that there is a app or program out there that will convert the file that I have backup on my computer and e-mail. thanks again for your help.

Last edited:

lcbiz

Aug 3, 2014
Visit site
How do you save the hbk file from email to the SMS_backup folder? When I click on it in email it downloads to the "downloads" folder and I don't know how to move it on phone. Thanks!

phonohead

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
I'd use a file browser to move the .hbk file to its proper destination. But, you should be able to restore your text messages somewhere in the settings of "messages", on your phone.