Ringtone volume broken.

Brian Corrigan

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Hey, I've had this phone about a month, and I'm new to smartphones so I've no real comparison to other phones, but I really like it. The battery life is great and I've had no real complications with it up until now, but my ringtone volume is stuck at 0%. The side buttons are supposed to increase the ringtone volume, but they just won't work. I've tried going into the sound options and increasing the volume there but everytime I click ok it just goes back to 0% volume. The speaker isn't broken, it plays sounds fine. Also, it's not on silent I'm not that dumb I swear!

Any help with what might be causing this problem would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
explain your process better... and screenshots are worth a thousand words. (hold power and volume down at the same time for 3 seconds) but your phone should not be doing this. Not one other person had has this problem.

Simon5647

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
I have the same phone as you, and I have this problem for a few weeks! The side button only lets u switch from silent and vibrate, and you adjust the volume in settings does nothing at all. Not sure if this is helpful, but it randomly repaired itself when i restarted my phone and went straight to the sound settings.

siezear

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem. I'm a long time HTC user. My phone is a One X - but this is the first place I've found other people with the same issue. This is a new phone - just replaced under warranty. I am on Vodafone and this is a Vodafone branded unit - my first one. What does everyone else have - could it be a vodafone bloatware issue?

It isn't possible to show a picture as it is something not happening - as described by the others, pressing the volume up key brings the volumeppop-up but it never rises above silent. Using the menu results in the volume showing as up, but as soon as you close the setting reverts back to silent.

May 23, 2013
Visit site
My phone, HTC One Sv, started doing the same yesterday. The side button switches from vibration to silent, but won't let you set the volume. I even tried changing different sound options, with no success
I tried also restarting the phone and going straight to the sound settings to change the ringtone volume , but it just comes back down to zero!
the alarm and multimedia sound are perfect and you can set their volumes, its just about the ringtone.

Anybody help? Thanks!

maxent

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
EDIT: Found the answer. Well, found a solution anyhow, still don't know what the issue was.

Go to Settings > Power > and unselect Fast boot, the do a good ole fashioned power down and back up again and, voila! The phone! She is fixed!

______________________Original Post before I became enlightened______________________
Just a "me too" - HTC One X, volume on "Ringtone &notification" can be set to silent or vibrate, but no volume control. Slider in Settings works, but then goes back to zero after you hit OK. Main volume slider accessed on lockscreen or with rocker buttons doesn't work at all (can drag it but it constantly resets to zero immediately and repeatedly). Curiously, if you use the volume rocker buttons, although you can't see the bar change, it appears to be registering some count, so, for example, if you go from vibrate to silent to volume 1 by hitting the upvolume rocker, to get back to vibrate, you need to hit the downvolume rocker twice. Hit upvolume 4 times, you'll have to hit downvolume rocker 4 times to get back to vibrate again.

I've uninstalled apps, cleared the cache, rebooted multiple times, played with settings in automet, tasker, notification toggle, etc. - no joy. Don't want to factory reset. Really don't want to.

Last edited:

Georg Skaugen

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
YOUR A GENIOUS!! It acctually worked, the alarm was broken as well as the ringtone volume on my HTC One Sv. But then you came along and fixed it, again thank you so much :D :D :D :D :D :D:D:D:D:D:D:cool::)

ViaggiPazzi

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
My husband and I both have the HTC One S. We noticed this bug 2 days ago and were getting increasingly frustrated. THANK YOU very much for the solution/workaround.

Teresa Harrington

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
I am so glad I came across this. Everywhere else indicated the dreaded factory reset.
Oh and I just realized that this thread goes back a couple years.. Apparently HTC has not worked the bug out.

THANK YOU!!!
:cool:

S L J

Oct 14, 2015
Visit site
October 2015, all updates installed, problem still exists! I had fooled with my settings recently and I remember checking the "Fast Startup" button - after that, the side buttons only turned down "Media Volume" - I would never have guessed that was the problem, THANK YOU for figuring this one out for me, next up, HTC needs to figure it out :)

HereAgn

Apr 24, 2016
Visit site
Thank You Maxent this worked for me but not very loud but I am just thrilled its working Kuddos to you....I really like my HTC 1X had it forever did not want to get rid of it ....:)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndoe11