HTC One S - WiFi stuck at "Turning On"

aditishriram

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
I have an HTC One S (unlocked T-mobile) which runs on stock 4.0.4. And over the last 8 months all I have been doing is looking for a solution for my Wi-Fi issue. It worked perfectly fine initially. But then Wi-Fi suddenly stopped working. I don't remember clearly if this was after an OTA update or not. The Wi-Fi keeps trying to turn on but doesn't go past the "Turning on" phase. I can't even shut it and it drains my battery very fast because the phone never goes to sleep. I don't know if this is a software or hardware issue. I have tried practically everything including a Hard Reset. My phone is not under warranty so I need someone to help me fix this issue. Will a jelly bean update (whenever it does come) solve the issue? Or maybe rooting the phone to CM?

ansafrahim

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
You can try updating to jelly bean, i don't have such issue, i have upgraded to jelly bean right after I unboxed it. Its a good idea to backup everything and then do a hard reset and then upgrade to jelly bean through computer if wifi still not working.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I have an HTC One S (unlocked T-mobile) which runs on stock 4.0.4. And over the last 8 months all I have been doing is looking for a solution for my Wi-Fi issue. It worked perfectly fine initially. But then Wi-Fi suddenly stopped working. I don't remember clearly if this was after an OTA update or not. The Wi-Fi keeps trying to turn on but doesn't go past the "Turning on" phase. I can't even shut it and it drains my battery very fast because the phone never goes to sleep. I don't know if this is a software or hardware issue. I have tried practically everything including a Hard Reset. My phone is not under warranty so I need someone to help me fix this issue. Will a jelly bean update (whenever it does come) solve the issue? Or maybe rooting the phone to CM?

try this http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-one-s/167655-wifi-disconnection-problems-one-s-give-try.html
hopefully that will fix it for you.
good luck

aditishriram

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
The OTA update by Jellybean has not been released by T-mobile yet. Any idea how else I can update it? (As you can see I'm technologically dumb.)

aditishriram

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
You can try updating to jelly bean, i don't have such issue, i have upgraded to jelly bean right after I unboxed it. Its a good idea to backup everything and then do a hard reset and then upgrade to jelly bean through computer if wifi still not working.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

The OTA update by Jellybean has not been released by T-mobile yet. Any idea how else I can update it? (As you can see I'm technologically dumb.)

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I can't do anything in advanced settings unless the Wi-Fi turns on. :(

If it gets stuck on "turning on" then its most likely a system error. (this is common in the rooting community if the the wifi system file was written incorrectly)
I have no idea how yours became corrupt. But the only solution I know of will be a factory reset.

and Tmo still has not spoken of a release date regarding Jellybean. The began test on Christmas 2012... and everyone is still waiting. There is no other way to update unless you Root and Flash a new 4.1 (JB) Sense Rom

aditishriram

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
If it gets stuck on "turning on" then its most likely a system error. (this is common in the rooting community if the the wifi system file was written incorrectly)
I have no idea how yours became corrupt. But the only solution I know of will be a factory reset.

and Tmo still has not spoken of a release date regarding Jellybean. The began test on Christmas 2012... and everyone is still waiting. There is no other way to update unless you Root and Flash a new 4.1 (JB) Sense Rom

I already tried a hard reset. You don't think it is a hardware issue? Because a lot of people have faced the same problem and I can't find a solution on the web. :(

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I already tried a hard reset. You don't think it is a hardware issue? Because a lot of people have faced the same problem and I can't find a solution on the web. :(

A hard reset wont fix it... you will need to do a full factory reset. Settings>Storage>factory reset>erase everything.
and If that doesnt fix it... then yes. Id say Hardware issue

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I read somewhere that re-flashing the kernel has proved effective. Because the MAC and IP address are unavailable. You know how it can be done?

Im surprised it didnt work.
in regards to re-flashing a kernel... it would definitely fix it... but unless you are rooted there is no way to flash it. That is why I figured a factory reset would fix it.

Just curious... does Wifi not work for every network you try? or only at home?

aditishriram

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Im surprised it didnt work.
in regards to re-flashing a kernel... it would definitely fix it... but unless you are rooted there is no way to flash it. That is why I figured a factory reset would fix it.

Just curious... does Wifi not work for every network you try? or only at home?

Wi-Fi doesn't switch on. So it does not even reach the stage where it starts scanning for networks. :(
Should I root my phone to CM or something like that? It's irreversible, right? (Stupid question, I know.)

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Wi-Fi doesn't switch on. So it does not even reach the stage where it starts scanning for networks. :(
Should I root my phone to CM or something like that? It's irreversible, right? (Stupid question, I know.)

Sounds like you have two options
1. Wait till HTC pushes out an updated fix for Wifi... (which could be a long time... us consumers dont know when... if ever)
2. or you could Root.

Rooting is Irreversible... but its harder to Unroot it than it is to Root. (trust me, once you Root and understand what you are doing, you wont want to unroot)
But the "Tampered" on your bootloader is Irreversible. (you can relock the bootloader... but it will just always say tampered)

if you want to Root Id recommend doing a lot of reading... Its not as hard or scary as it sounds... just make sure you know what each thing is, what it means, and how to fix it if it messes up.
read this... HTC One S Development Sticky Roll-Up Thread *** Check this thread BEFORE posting *** - xda-developers

Let me know if you have more questions

aditishriram

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like you have two options
1. Wait till HTC pushes out an updated fix for Wifi... (which could be a long time... us consumers dont know when... if ever)
2. or you could Root.

Rooting is Irreversible... but its harder to Unroot it than it is to Root. (trust me, once you Root and understand what you are doing, you wont want to unroot)
But the "Tampered" on your bootloader is Irreversible. (you can relock the bootloader... but it will just always say tampered)

if you want to Root Id recommend doing a lot of reading... Its not as hard or scary as it sounds... just make sure you know what each thing is, what it means, and how to fix it if it messes up.
read this... HTC One S Development Sticky Roll-Up Thread *** Check this thread BEFORE posting *** - xda-developers

Let me know if you have more questions

Thank you so much, Ryandroid86. :)

Reza Safaei

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys, I have same issue for more than 1 year. the wifi and 3g internet network dose not working at all. exactly the same problem you guys had. spent too much money and time on it.

I have been using it just as a simple handset since i bought it!!! not smart phone! while trying to restart didn't work, shutting it down and then manually starting it did solve my issue.

any advice, help and recommendation highly appreciated.
regards
Ray

enhancedliving

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys, somewhat solution....

I had this problem this morning on my htc desire 601. Wifi was stuck turning on.

To me it seems like a hardware issue. I had slept in a tent last night and it was cold and very humid. When i turned phone on this morning, wifi was stuck turning on.

Eventually i just turned the phone off to charge. The phone warmed up from charging, and when i turn it back on later the wifi was working again.

So wifi hardware seem affected by enviromental conditions.

Hope this helps,
Kevin

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2