FYI: No Android 4.2.2 for the One S

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
From HTC:

"We can confirm that the HTC One S will not receive further Android OS updates and will remain on the current version of Android and HTC Sense. We realize this news will be met with disappointment by some, but our customers should feel confident that we have designed the HTC One S to be optimized with our amazing camera and audio experiences."

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Interesting... Phone has been out for what about 14 months with ICS and already has been stopped in its tracks...

Sure HTC will take a little slag over this one...

extremenet

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Finally found and bought one to test out T-Mobile service in my area, and this... Very disappointed, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Look at it this way: they could have waited until it had been 18 months to say it wouldn't, which would have been their fulfillment of the update alliance thing.

This does beg the question of if the X will get 4.2.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

neil ogg

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone recommend a stable 4.2.2 ROM for this phone seeing as we won't get it officially? I have an experimental version of CyanogenMod running on mine just now - 10.1-20130304-EXPERIMENTAL-ville-m2 and it runs OK except from it won't connect to wifi or work as a hotspot. Neither major issues, but I like to occasionally use both of those features.

Posted via Android Central App

raul.man

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I have had a mostly positive experience with my one s, but this is disappointing news. I find it disappointing because there is no hardware limitations that would keep it from getting 4.2.2. I jumped from Samsung and their original galaxy S (I had a vibrant) to the one s, because I love the solid build of the one s. My next phone will be a Motorola. That's if tmobile will carry a moto phone that isn't a joke (CLIQ).

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
FYI, should you see any stories to the contrary (we've seen a couple bad ones today), HTC isn't rethinking the One S getting Android 4.2.2. It's just not happening. Done deal.

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone recommend a stable 4.2.2 ROM for this phone seeing as we won't get it officially? I have an experimental version of CyanogenMod running on mine just now - 10.1-20130304-EXPERIMENTAL-ville-m2 and it runs OK except from it won't connect to wifi or work as a hotspot. Neither major issues, but I like to occasionally use both of those features.

Try Liquid Smooth or Rootbox. I had luck with both of those

Dubya Smith

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
This is what I received from HTC on August 9, 2013: Dear W. Smith,

I will be glad to help with your HTC One S. While it is true that the One S in Europe will not receive further updates to Android, we currently do not have information on whether this also applies to North American devices. Please check our website and official social networking channels, linked below, for any future announcements regarding your device.

Thank you for being a part of the HTC community. I hope you are having a wonderful weekend!

Let me know if I have successfully answered your question, please click here to complete this.

To send a reply to this message, please click here.

Sincerely,

Douglas

HTC

Want to see what others are saying? Have a question to ask other HTC fans? So what you think about that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34