Bricked HTC One S

edugarsb

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I own HTC ONE S (1.5 GHz CPU - that means S4 yes ?) European version It was updated till the last update, but then in one day it started to make some kind of freaky things. started to act by it self do what it wants, so i decided to put a new rom on it ... Till that day i had done simullar things to samsung phones, not HTC so i tought it will we as easy as it was back in the day with samsungs.

I found this tutorial :
Part 1 - youtube.com/watch?v=nl24Fc7-fbw - Everything went smooth and without errors.
Part 2 - youtube.com/watch?v=YkXe-ReZ6W0 - Everything went smooth and without errors.
Part 3 - youtube.com/watch?v=nbRtuE3R1ZA#t=6m28s AND this is the last that i managed to do - erease all that there was, but forgot to put the new rom inside the phone. At beginning it allowed me to enter recovery, but when i wanted to do something there it showed some kind of error wi mounting sd card (that was the error), but this model does not have a slot for SD it just calls it memory like that.
And after a wile trying to do something for my phone to work, it started to fail entering recovery mode. When in fastboot menu i press the power button to enter recovery mode, it shows HTC logo, under it there's a red text saying : This build ir for development ..... (as i watched videos, it's a standart screen if you have unlocked your phone. Oh and on top of screen it also shows : Entering Recovery ... and thats all. nothing happens.

My phone's info :

VILLEC2 PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-3.01.0000
RADIO-16.11.20.24_M
OpenDSP-V11.6.0.2235.00.0304
eMMC-BOOT
Mar 4 2013, 18:02:08:-1

And another thing was, that i was unable to find the right ruu version for my phone Europian.

And as i understand, than i have wiped the whole system from phone.

Please guy's help me with one, will really appreciate.

P.S. - Sorry for my bad English

Peace from Latvia )

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I own HTC ONE S (1.5 GHz CPU - that means S4 yes ?) European version It was updated till the last update, but then in one day it started to make some kind of freaky things. started to act by it self do what it wants, so i decided to put a new rom on it ... Till that day i had done simullar things to samsung phones, not HTC so i tought it will we as easy as it was back in the day with samsungs.

I found this tutorial :
Part 1 - youtube.com/watch?v=nl24Fc7-fbw - Everything went smooth and without errors.
Part 2 - youtube.com/watch?v=YkXe-ReZ6W0 - Everything went smooth and without errors.
Part 3 - youtube.com/watch?v=nbRtuE3R1ZA#t=6m28s AND this is the last that i managed to do - erease all that there was, but forgot to put the new rom inside the phone. At beginning it allowed me to enter recovery, but when i wanted to do something there it showed some kind of error wi mounting sd card (that was the error), but this model does not have a slot for SD it just calls it memory like that.
And after a wile trying to do something for my phone to work, it started to fail entering recovery mode. When in fastboot menu i press the power button to enter recovery mode, it shows HTC logo, under it there's a red text saying : This build ir for development ..... (as i watched videos, it's a standart screen if you have unlocked your phone. Oh and on top of screen it also shows : Entering Recovery ... and thats all. nothing happens.

My phone's info :

VILLEC2 PVT SHIP S-ON RL
HBOOT-3.01.0000
RADIO-16.11.20.24_M
OpenDSP-V11.6.0.2235.00.0304
eMMC-BOOT
Mar 4 2013, 18:02:08:-1

And another thing was, that i was unable to find the right ruu version for my phone Europian.

And as i understand, than i have wiped the whole system from phone.

Please guy's help me with one, will really appreciate.

P.S. - Sorry for my bad English

Peace from Latvia )

Alright. Sounds like a typical problem everyone has when it comes to rooting this phone.
FIrst thing. If you want to root. You need to download the SDK bundle from google. Place it in a directory called android (or whatever you want)
inside the folder you will find platform-tools. in there will be all the stuff needed to talk to the phone.
If you open cmd (command prompt) then type cd c:\android\sdk\platform-tools (please keep in mind that my not be exactly correct. You will need to type the path where your fastboot file is at)
Download the newest one from here on you computer Techerrata Downloads - Browsing ville
Then put this file inside the platform-tools folder.
make sure you phone is plugged into the computer and its on. then type inside cmd on you computer fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.6.0.0-ville.img
it should then take 3 seconds and say done.
Then go to your phone and turn it off. Then hold vol down and power until you enter fastboot mode. and click on recovery. Now you should be able to enter the recovery.
from here its easy. In recovery click "mount" and mount it to the computer. on the computer download whatever ROM you want and place it on the phone. (keep a copy on the computer too)
then open the zip file on the comp (but dont unzip it) and you will find a boot.img inside. Take that file and put it in the platform-tools folder with the recovery and fastboot files.
Then go back to cmd and type fastboot flash boot boot.img
it should take another 3 seconds to complete.
Once done go back to the phone and click unmount.
go to install from SD and navigate to where you put the ROM, click on it and swipe to install
Once done its all good to go. Just restart the phone and it will work perfect

Let me know if you have any questions along the way. Or run into a snag

Also, here are all the RUUs I found AndroidFiles RUU

edugarsb

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for reply.

It stops at this point : Then go to your phone and turn it off. Then hold vol down and power until you enter fastboot mode. and click on recovery. Now you should be able to enter the recovery.

It shows Entering Recovery ... HTC logo and : This build is for blah blah blah ...
And nothing happens :/

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for reply.

It stops at this point : Then go to your phone and turn it off. Then hold vol down and power until you enter fastboot mode. and click on recovery. Now you should be able to enter the recovery.

It shows Entering Recovery ... HTC logo and : This build is for blah blah blah ...
And nothing happens :/

Sometimes it can become tricky. hold the power button and volume down for about 5 seconds. Then let the power button go and continue to hold volume down and keep holding it until it goes to recovery

edugarsb

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
It goes in to that menu where you have to hold power + vol down, then i select - recovery - and THEN it stops. Showing logo, text on top : Entering Recovery ..., and on bottom some text about: This build is for .....

Tried several times - nothing happens, leaved it for an hour left at that screen,,,still nothing happens.

I am starting to think that this time it wont be an easy deal, that it won't be possible to repair it :(

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
It goes in to that menu where you have to hold power + vol down, then i select - recovery - and THEN it stops. Showing logo, text on top : Entering Recovery ..., and on bottom some text about: This build is for .....

Tried several times - nothing happens, leaved it for an hour left at that screen,,,still nothing happens.

I am starting to think that this time it wont be an easy deal, that it won't be possible to repair it :(

no you are fine.
question..... did you ever flash or download a ROM for the phone?

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
You will need to flash the stock boot.img.
So following the same instructions I said above....
Download this [ROM] [VILLE] [S4] [Stock] [ODEX] Rooted Rom's - xda-developers (pick which version you want.... European version you said)
Then once downloaded. Open the zip file and copy the Boot.img and place it in your platform-tools folder
then open CMD and make sure it in the right directory (cd C:\android\platform-tools)
and type fastboot flash boot boot.img
make sure it says done afterwards.

then see if the phone will turn on.

edugarsb

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the fast replay.

Nothing :(

You know...It keeps feeling that I maybe, somehow have deleted the Recovery ? Because everything is ok, like You wrote, after i type : fastboot flash boot boot.img hit enter and it shows 2x Okay and that it has finished (I was doing it in bootmenu I guess ? well holding power + vol down it enters that boot menu, there i select FASTBOOT > connect it to USB so it shows Fastboot USB) and then i complete the step with fastboot flash boot boot.img it shows those 2 Okay and that it has finished successfully, then i unplug the phone > turn it off > turn it again on - nothing, reboot in that boot menu > select recovery > still nothing - hanging again on HTC logo showing that it enters the recovery.
Maybe i should do something afterwards i flash it, to turn the phone on ? somehow to put the new system or what ?

Amm ... another thing. You asked about flashing. At the beginning i tought that i have a S3 model and i used that tool named "One_S_All-In-One_Kit_v4.0" to flash my phone with S3 file and later on it was such a mess, i was stressed out and pressed everything in that TWTP recovery or how its called, i pressed everything that worked,because right there i was getting a lot of errors everywhere. Mostly it showed that it was unable to mount SD card (dont know why, because it doesnt have a slot for it)

Maan....i really dont know what mess i have made :(

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the fast replay.

Nothing :(

You know...It keeps feeling that I maybe, somehow have deleted the Recovery ? Because everything is ok, like You wrote, after i type : fastboot flash boot boot.img hit enter and it shows 2x Okay and that it has finished (I was doing it in bootmenu I guess ? well holding power + vol down it enters that boot menu, there i select FASTBOOT > connect it to USB so it shows Fastboot USB) and then i complete the step with fastboot flash boot boot.img it shows those 2 Okay and that it has finished successfully, then i unplug the phone > turn it off > turn it again on - nothing, reboot in that boot menu > select recovery > still nothing - hanging again on HTC logo showing that it enters the recovery.
Maybe i should do something afterwards i flash it, to turn the phone on ? somehow to put the new system or what ?

Amm ... another thing. You asked about flashing. At the beginning i tought that i have a S3 model and i used that tool named "One_S_All-In-One_Kit_v4.0" to flash my phone with S3 file and later on it was such a mess, i was stressed out and pressed everything in that TWTP recovery or how its called, i pressed everything that worked,because right there i was getting a lot of errors everywhere. Mostly it showed that it was unable to mount SD card (dont know why, because it doesnt have a slot for it)

Maan....i really dont know what mess i have made :(

When the phone is off..... you hold power and vol down for 5 seconds... then let the power button go and continue to hold vol down until recovery boots? You shouldnt need to go the the fastboot menu.... If you are doing that... Sounds like its another issue

If you flashed S3 stuff. This could be the problem. I dont know if we can undo it because HTC has built in encryption that will protect the main files while booted. But when you are in recovery you can modify the files. So sounds like you need to run the RUU. Look at the first link I sent with the RUUs at the bottom. Download which one you need. and plug your phone in and mount it. Then run the RUU. It should work since we flashed the stock boot.img.

Also make sure you have this downloaded on you computer https://support.htc.com/alerts_downloads/en/HTC_Sync_and_Sync_Manager_for_all_HTC_Android_Phones#Download_and_Installation_Instructions

edugarsb

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Ok ... i wrote one big post, but when wanted to publish, here on forum came up some kind of text that administrator will approve my post, but appereantly it wont be so fast :D

Sooo... I wanted to ask - maybe there's a way, that I just clear everything, whole system everything just clear and store a new one. System, bootloader, recovery - everything new.

Is it possible - if is, could please provide me with some instructions ?

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Ok ... i wrote one big post, but when wanted to publish, here on forum came up some kind of text that administrator will approve my post, but appereantly it wont be so fast :D

Sooo... I wanted to ask - maybe there's a way, that I just clear everything, whole system everything just clear and store a new one. System, bootloader, recovery - everything new.

Is it possible - if is, could please provide me with some instructions ?

No. The only way to restore factory images with all the correct files is by running the RUU. That's what it does. And I don't care how messed up the phone is... If it can turn on. You should be able to run the RUU. You just need all the correct drivers and information on the computer so it can talk to it properly. I know I had some problems running the RUU before. It kept failing. But after using fastboot to restore my boot.img it worked. Let's try one more thing. Let's flash the stock recovery with fastboot. Then see if the RUU will run.

I found this by ckpv5 half way down the page. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1907564
Looks like you need to flash stock recovery.

Read this too http://androidforums.com/one-s-all-things-root/691874-guide-how-run-ruu-your-htc-one-s.html

And here is the stock recovery file http://www.mediafire.com/?444r63wp7fzi52r

Good luck

Posted via Android Central App

edugarsb

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Ok ... will give it another try for the big post.

1. I am pretty confused right now. It comes to my memory, that when I was running antutu benchmark tests, it showed that my CPU is running at ~ 1,5 GHz (if I remember write)
I now own it about 1 year, earlier phone broke down, so I gave it to a reseller and they gave me a new phone, at least IMEI is another (dont know, the phone was like 3 weeks old, with no scratches, so I couldnt tell wether it is the same model or what. Because I suddenly looked now at my phones box and there is written that I own : Model - Z560e (which, when I searched is S3 version) ?!?!?!?! I just really don't know which files should I use now ?

2. When I work around the RUU...
First I got error 150 ,,, then realised that I need to relock my bootloader with : fastboot oem lock (it somehow freezed when I hit enter, then reconnected USB, but it showed in the top that it's RELOCKED, so I tried to run the RUU. Now after erasing user data it throw an error 131 (that the version of my RUU files is not correct, but the radio and HBOOT)
Another thing that bothered me (see pic)

Screen 1 : Failiem.lv - Then I press "Update" and get
Screen 2 : Failiem.lv - Then I press "Next" and get
Screen 3 : Failiem.lv - Then It shows the 131 error, but whats interesting that in screen 1 & 2 You can see, that RUU does not show my Androids version or at least something ,,, its just blank.

Tried to do: fastboot flash recovery file_name.img with this file (as I understood, you ment this recovery stock) and got back an error :

Code:
C:\Android>fastboot flash recovery ville.img
sending 'recovery' (10950 KB)...
OKAY [  2.043s]
writing 'recovery'...
(bootloader) signature checking...
FAILED (remote: signature verify fail)
finished. total time: 3.391s

C:\Android>

If somethin else will come up, will write a post, but for now on - again, nothing. :(

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Ok ... will give it another try for the big post.

1. I am pretty confused right now. It comes to my memory, that when I was running antutu benchmark tests, it showed that my CPU is running at ~ 1,5 GHz (if I remember write)
I now own it about 1 year, earlier phone broke down, so I gave it to a reseller and they gave me a new phone, at least IMEI is another (dont know, the phone was like 3 weeks old, with no scratches, so I couldnt tell wether it is the same model or what. Because I suddenly looked now at my phones box and there is written that I own : Model - Z560e (which, when I searched is S3 version) ?!?!?!?! I just really don't know which files should I use now ?

2. When I work around the RUU...
First I got error 150 ,,, then realised that I need to relock my bootloader with : fastboot oem lock (it somehow freezed when I hit enter, then reconnected USB, but it showed in the top that it's RELOCKED, so I tried to run the RUU. Now after erasing user data it throw an error 131 (that the version of my RUU files is not correct, but the radio and HBOOT)
Another thing that bothered me (see pic)

Screen 1 : Failiem.lv - Then I press "Update" and get
Screen 2 : Failiem.lv - Then I press "Next" and get
Screen 3 : Failiem.lv - Then It shows the 131 error, but whats interesting that in screen 1 & 2 You can see, that RUU does not show my Androids version or at least something ,,, its just blank.

Tried to do: fastboot flash recovery file_name.img with this file (as I understood, you ment this recovery stock) and got back an error :

Code:
C:\Android>fastboot flash recovery ville.img
sending 'recovery' (10950 KB)...
OKAY [  2.043s]
writing 'recovery'...
(bootloader) signature checking...
FAILED (remote: signature verify fail)
finished. total time: 3.391s

C:\Android>

If somethin else will come up, will write a post, but for now on - again, nothing. :(

If you relocked the bootloader. You cannot change any system files. Including a new recovery. In order to push it. It needs to be unlocked. I dont recall ever relocking my bootloader when I was running the RUU. And the whole "S3" and "S4" thing is very confusing and stupid. Unfortunate it is very important on which on you use. Id unlock the bootloader again. Flash the recovery. then put it in fastboot mode on the phone and run the RUU again. try a couple different ones to see if it works

edugarsb

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
But what do you think about the thing that it doesnt show my phones version ir RUU ? could that mean, that I, maybe, somehow, thrue the TWRP cleared the system ? if its possible.

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
But what do you think about the thing that it doesnt show my phones version ir RUU ? could that mean, that I, maybe, somehow, thrue the TWRP cleared the system ? if its possible.

No. Its not possible. You can do a "system wipe" but that doesnt remove things like fastboot. or the recovery, or hardware information.
a system wipe just removes your current ROM (image/OS) Thats it.

Like I said. If you could enter recovery we could flash you a new ROM and everything would come back. Or you have to run the RUU for it to come back

(also I am at work right now... So your images are blocked and I cannot see them)

edugarsb

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
It seems like, ADB only works with booted OS.

What do you think - my phone is dead and gone ? :D

I found Nanodroid (I think its called like that) for my CID I found pretty close version to my phones OTA. But as I understand so far I cant do nothing with these files.

What if I can get one working HTC ONE S from my zone, with the same version of OS ? can it help ?

Yeah man,,, when it was UNLOCKED after error @RUU I disconnected USB un on the screen there was written : Security error
Now that I tried with my bootloader RELOCKED, it shows error : HBOOT is old

Ohh... and another thing what I tought ,,, mby RUU is somehow available, but only that my operator where I bought my phone, has made some custom ROM or smthg, so that noobs like me could not repair their phones by them self.

Last edited:

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
It seems like, ADB only works with booted OS.

What do you think - my phone is dead and gone ? :D

I found Nanodroid (I think its called like that) for my CID I found pretty close version to my phones OTA. But as I understand so far I cant do nothing with these files.

What if I can get one working HTC ONE S from my zone, with the same version of OS ? can it help ?

Yeah man,,, when it was UNLOCKED after error @RUU I disconnected USB un on the screen there was written : Security error
Now that I tried with my bootloader RELOCKED, it shows error : HBOOT is old

Ohh... and another thing what I tought ,,, mby RUU is somehow available, but only that my operator where I bought my phone, has made some custom ROM or smthg, so that noobs like me could not repair their phones by them self.

It just means your carrier hasnt released all the info regarding the radios/boot.img/etc. Becuase they can always customize to show there logo when it starts and connects to the network.
well its not looking good. I feel that hope isnt lost because atleast the phone can talk to the computer with fastboot. We just need to find you the right files that will load a fulling functioning ROM. I just dont think flashing a "ROM" with fastboot works. You can always try... Something like fastboot flash zip (file name here.zip) and then flash the boot.img for the same ROM you just did. and see if it starts up. I honestly dont know if that works. I have never tried. And Im not using this phone anymore. Also there is no way to restore a nandroid backup unless you can get into the recovery (TWRP, or CWM) but since you relocked the bootloader. It took TWRP off your phone and restored the factory recovery now

the requirments to run the RUU:
-same build number on or higher
-same hboot or higher(this will always be true if the first one is)
-same CID. some ruus will flash across multiple CIDs.
-same model id
-be an official,signed-by-htc file

things are further complicated by the fact that ruus starting with JB are encrypted so we cant get in to them. in order to run these ruus,you must allready have a newer hboot in place. i.e.,you need to have OTAed to a JB firmware,or possibly flashed the firmware.zip file from an OTAPkg.zip

By typing fastboot getvar all in CMD.
This will tell you all the information about your phone so you can hopefully find the RUU you need.
AndroidFiles RUU

I found this too. It might help. I didnt have time to read it
[HOWTO] Manually flash ICS OTAPkg.zip - xda-developers

and here is even more information
Understanding s-off, super cid, s-on. Read b4 u run that ruu - GSM-Forum

edugarsb

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Ok ... I am back :D
I can access TWRP :)
When I load ROM, here is my log file what happens.

As I understand I need to search for a ROM that is CID: HTC_032 & ment to be for one s CORRECT ?

Attachments

• recovery.txt
    9.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:

edugarsb

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
OMG :) mopderators - please give me super big font access :)

I did it :) it feels AWESOME. Biggest thanks goes to : Ryandroid86 Androidcentral You should promote him as a GOD :)

Ok. My starting problem was, that I was trying to flash a new ROM, but accidently I deleted the nanodroid (backup for my sistem) so at the end I was stuck at HTC Logo with a disclaimer not even possible to enter recovery mode. Just a bootloader.

Here is how it's made for ONE S (S3) with HBOOT 3.01.000 Radio 16.11.20.24_M :)

You need to understand that while You are in bootloader (the white screen till the logo) in that section You are able to use only fastboot function. When You pass the HTC Logo you are able to start usage of adb commands.

1. relock bootloader with command : fastboot oem lock phone will restart back in bootloader.
2. type in CMD : fastboot oem rebootRUU your screen will get black with HTC Logo
3. download OTA : OTA_VILLEC2_U_JB_45_S_HTC_Europe_3.19.401.101_16.22.20.03U_16.11.20.24_M.zip - Bugsy Lawson's Resource
4. extract OTA
5. from extracted OTA, inside You will find zip called firmware.zip - copy it to folder where your adb and
6. type in CMD : fastboot flash zip firmware.zip if it shows some error there, try the code again and then it should finnish successfully.
7. unlock bootloader
8. i downloaded this tool : [TOOL] HTC One S All-In-One Toolkit v4.0 [7-10-2013] [PERM ROOT][Noob-Proof] - xda-developers and after opening the downloaded folder there was one .exe file and folder Data - entered Data > Recoveries and copied TWRPS3.img to my fastboot & adb folder (because i have S3 version)
9. type in CMD : fastboot boot TWRPS3.img & it will boot in recovery
10. open all in one s kit which you downloaded in step 8.
11. on right side of application select TWRP (S3) and hit flash recovery (you need to do this sten while in recovery because this step uses adb command and you needed to parse the htc logo for this command to work.
12. phone will reboot in bootloader
13. after all in one kit showed that everything is ok, in phone select - reboot bootloader
14. now you have a recovery - enter it
15. i wiped factory reset thru recovery, Dlavik & cache
16. restarted the phone
17. whoaalaa :)

And again - Ryandroid86 HUGE THANK YOU !!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34