Internal vs. Phone storage help needed

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
hopefully someone can help so I don't have to purchase a new phone just yet........
I have an HTC One S. I'm currently unable to update any apps, or add any more because of "insufficient space". I'm no techie, but I was able to find this info on my phone :
Internal Storage : Total space 2.21 GB/ APPS 1.76 GB/ Available - 466 MP

Phone Storage: Total space 9.93 GB/ Available 7.40 GB

so, here is my question..........it's apparent that all my apps are stored on the "internal storage" - is that considered the SIM card? I think I saw a way to move all of these to the Phone Storage space......is that advisable? Is there a way to set the Phone Storage as the default storage space for any new apps?

Thank you so so much ! I just don't have an extra $500 laying around, and don't want to add any more to my monthly bill. Besides the battery working like crap, this is the only other issue I have with this phone, LOVE my phone. :)

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
hopefully someone can help so I don't have to purchase a new phone just yet........
I have an HTC One S. I'm currently unable to update any apps, or add any more because of "insufficient space". I'm no techie, but I was able to find this info on my phone :
Internal Storage : Total space 2.21 GB/ APPS 1.76 GB/ Available - 466 MP

Phone Storage: Total space 9.93 GB/ Available 7.40 GB

so, here is my question..........it's apparent that all my apps are stored on the "internal storage" - is that considered the SIM card? I think I saw a way to move all of these to the Phone Storage space......is that advisable? Is there a way to set the Phone Storage as the default storage space for any new apps?

Thank you so so much ! I just don't have an extra $500 laying around, and don't want to add any more to my monthly bill. Besides the battery working like crap, this is the only other issue I have with this phone, LOVE my phone. :)

Welcome to the forums. It looks like HTC partitioned the memory in a strange way. The internal is not the SIM. It is a partition for your apps only. The OS wants a minimum amount free (as I recall about 500 MB) before it can install anything else. Are there any apps you can uninstall that you don't use?

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
probably a few.............I can try that first and see if I'm able to update or load any new ones that I want. Wish I could add more memory, but from what I've read, you can't on this phone. Can't replace the battery either.. thank you for your prompt reply :)

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
yes, thanks. I did move some apps and was able to get rid of enough to make room for an update and a new app I wanted. I also ordered a new phone today.....it's time.......Am getting a Nexus 5 with 32 gb......read good reviews so we shall see. Thanks again for your help

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
yes, thanks. I did move some apps and was able to get rid of enough to make room for an update and a new app I wanted. I also ordered a new phone today.....it's time.......Am getting a Nexus 5 with 32 gb......read good reviews so we shall see. Thanks again for your help
The 5 is a good phone. I think you will like it.

Sent from an AOSP M8

jsm73

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
I have a similar problem, HTC One S showing "App storage" 233 MB available out of 6.07 GB, "Phone storage" 8.61 GB available out of 9.93 GB, with a backlog of apps that won't update. I have already uninstalled/disabled/moved all the apps I can, and I don't think the number of apps I have added is huge.
It seems ridiculous to be hamstrung by such a partition of memory on a phone that is otherwise good for my needs. Is there any way to re-partition it or to install apps directly into "Phone storage"?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1