Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default First Time Android User!

    Hey guys

    I just purchased my first ever non BlackBerry device in over 7 years, The HTC One from Rogers Canada. So I have a lot to learn, I'm coming over from CrackBerry and hoping that community here is as engaging and informative as CrackBerry is for BlackBerry users.

    Here are a few things I could use help with:
    1. I know HTC released a stock Android version of the phone and I read something somewhere that stated HTC is working on a way to offer their customers who purchased none Google Editions to use stock Android. How do I go about doing this? I know I can root etc but id like to avoid that for now before I jump into such things I just want to learn the in's and out's of Android.
    2. If I go the stock Android route will I have the same keyboard layout that the HTC One has with their Sense? If not is the keyboard better or worse in the stock version compared to Sense version? And will my updates come straight from Google moving forward? I know the Google Nexus devices receive updates way faster due to not having an extra layer on top of the OS. Will my HTC One be compatible with Kit Kat?
    3. Why is it that I cannot remove certain apps? for example Twitter I find it pretty silly how I cannot remove it.
    4. Can I removed Blink Feed?
    5. Should I use the stock browser or Google Chrome? which is better overall for speed and reliability? Why is there two browsers anyways? Both seem to be part of the OS and none can be removed it seems? I'm little OCD in that aspect that I like to remove EVERYTHING that I don't use.
    6. What if any desktop software do you guys recommend I use for backing up and restoring my device if need be? There just seems to be wayyyy too many and well not an official one released by Google.
    7. Is it safe to assume if there is 2 versions of an app/game that the free one is ad supported and the paid one is ad free? One example is Angry Birds Star Wars 2 there is a free version and a paid version.
    8. For CrackBerry there is an App that has the blog and forums all in one. I Noticed there is a few for Android Central also one for the entire Mobile Nations. Which do you recommend I use for blogs and forums all in one JUST for Android Central?
    9. How come flash was removed and no longer supported? I went ahead and disabled it I find it odd that its still installed and not removable even though its not computable with the OS anymore. I do miss flash coming over from the BB10 Browser is there any work arounds?

    I'm sure there is a lot of questions that I'm just not remembering ill ask again when they pop back into my mind. I'm sorry for asking so many things all in one post I'm not as familiar with these forums yet, I'm sure moving forward ill get more and more comfortable (I still find myself going to BlackBerry fan sites first and foremost). Also please if you have any suggestions on ANY apps/games about really ANYTHING that you think is a must have to at least try let me know
  2. #2  

    Default Re: First Time Android User!

    Quote Originally Posted by TheUnknownUser View Post
    Hey guys

    I just purchased my first ever non BlackBerry device in over 7 years, The HTC One from Rogers Canada. So I have a lot to learn, I'm coming over from CrackBerry and hoping that community here is as engaging and informative as CrackBerry is for BlackBerry users.

    Here are a few things I could use help with:
    1. I know HTC released a stock Android version of the phone and I read something somewhere that stated HTC is working on a way to offer their customers who purchased none Google Editions to use stock Android. How do I go about doing this? I know I can root etc but id like to avoid that for now before I jump into such things I just want to learn the in's and out's of Android.
    If you do not want to root. Then there is no way until HTC makes this an option for you (which I dont see possible or rational on there part) because loading a new (ROM) involves a unlocked bootloader.... and trust me, They wont give you that option
    2. If I go the stock Android route will I have the same keyboard layout that the HTC One has with their Sense? If not is the keyboard better or worse in the stock version compared to Sense version? And will my updates come straight from Google moving forward? I know the Google Nexus devices receive updates way faster due to not having an extra layer on top of the OS. Will my HTC One be compatible with Kit Kat?
    Is your phone capable of receiving 4.4 kitkat.... yes, but there are no guarantees with companies, they get to choose. Also dont expect to get any of the features from stock 4.4... HTC or samsung will always make there own (that is the point for the skins)

    Keyboards are all around the same. Just find the one you like. If you went to stock android you would use the Google keyboard (which is downloadable from the play store on any phone) but you cannot keep the HTC sense keyboard. I prefer the Stock keyboard, Flesky, or Swiftkey. Those are all good in there own ways

    3. Why is it that I cannot remove certain apps? for example Twitter I find it pretty silly how I cannot remove it.
    Because this is called bloatware, Clients like twitter paid for that to come with the phone. You can remove them if you are rooted. If not.... you still have the option to disable the apps in your stock settings under applications
    4. Can I removed Blink Feed?
    No, You can install a custom launcher to remove it. But if you use the sense launcher... you are stuck with blink feed on one page. You can change your (home) screen to any of the screens though.
    5. Should I use the stock browser or Google Chrome? which is better overall for speed and reliability? Why is there two browsers anyways? Both seem to be part of the OS and none can be removed it seems? I'm little OCD in that aspect that I like to remove EVERYTHING that I don't use.
    Once again... Just disable the ones you dont want. also I feel that the stock browsers run fast, but dont look as good. Plus I feel that chrome has the edge with HTML5 and cross platform syncing/bookmarks/etc
    6. What if any desktop software do you guys recommend I use for backing up and restoring my device if need be? There just seems to be wayyyy too many and well not an official one released by Google.
    This is already built into your phone. Check the settings > accounts > google > (your email) > and select what you always want to back up to the cloud.
    I have all my contacts and everything in there. When I log into a new phone, everything comes back, Including downloaded apps, and data for games and applications (if built properly)
    Titanium back up and a few others require root access to back up your WHOLE phone

    7. Is it safe to assume if there is 2 versions of an app/game that the free one is ad supported and the paid one is ad free? One example is Angry Birds Star Wars 2 there is a free version and a paid version.
    Most apps are like this. Some are just trial versions. And a few are ad free and still costs nothing. Just go browsing
    8. For CrackBerry there is an App that has the blog and forums all in one. I Noticed there is a few for Android Central also one for the entire Mobile Nations. Which do you recommend I use for blogs and forums all in one JUST for Android Central?
    Google currents is a great application that syncs between all devices and you can put tons of different blogs all in the same app
    9. How come flash was removed and no longer supported? I went ahead and disabled it I find it odd that its still installed and not removable even though its not computable with the OS anymore. I do miss flash coming over from the BB10 Browser is there any work arounds? Its because google is going in a different direction with HTML5. HTC still requested because some websites still require flash. Also Adobe didnt stop making flash, they just stopped supporting and updating flash for android.

    I'm sure there is a lot of questions that I'm just not remembering ill ask again when they pop back into my mind. I'm sorry for asking so many things all in one post I'm not as familiar with these forums yet, I'm sure moving forward ill get more and more comfortable (I still find myself going to BlackBerry fan sites first and foremost). Also please if you have any suggestions on ANY apps/games about really ANYTHING that you think is a must have to at least try let me know

    Grab yourself a chromecast and download the app. thats a good addition. also games like hill climb is a classic when bored. and Riptide GP2 is an amazing 3d game to surely wow you.

    Good luck with your phone and welcome to the android community
    Samsung GS4 GPE | LG Nexus 4 - Sold | GNexus - Sold | HTC One S - Broke | Vibrant - Retired
    Spread some love, Like/Thanks button -->
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: First Time Android User!

    Thanks for the welcome

    I've gone ahead and downloaded Riptide GP2 and Hill Climb. For flash I understand some websites require it and I also understand Adobe never stopped with Flash however, I've noticed no websites show any of the flash content on my phone which is why I disabled it altogether, did I do something wrong that it isn't showing the flash content? Also for rooting the device do you recommend it? Is it difficult? (Keep in mind I'm usually very tech savvy just not yet with Android but I wont be afraid to tackle it) is rooting the device and putting stock Android reversible? will I be able to get back my factory settings back if I so chose? lastly I understand the backup feature is built into the phone and goes into the cloud but I always like having a software so I can have a backup left on my PC, although I'm guessing by your reply you don't recommend one?
  4. #4  

    Default Re: First Time Android User!

    Quote Originally Posted by TheUnknownUser View Post
    Thanks for the welcome

    I've gone ahead and downloaded Riptide GP2 and Hill Climb. For flash I understand some websites require it and I also understand Adobe never stopped with Flash however, I've noticed no websites show any of the flash content on my phone which is why I disabled it altogether, did I do something wrong that it isn't showing the flash content? Also for rooting the device do you recommend it? Is it difficult? (Keep in mind I'm usually very tech savvy just not yet with Android but I wont be afraid to tackle it) is rooting the device and putting stock Android reversible? will I be able to get back my factory settings back if I so chose? lastly I understand the backup feature is built into the phone and goes into the cloud but I always like having a software so I can have a backup left on my PC, although I'm guessing by your reply you don't recommend one?
    Rooting is fun. There are many benefits. But not really recommended for the faint of heart or the ones who don't want to research how-tos and possible problems. It can be complicated.

    Yes once you unlock your boot loader and install a superuser. Your phone won't look any different. You can then make a back up of your current phone (complete) and then install and run different ROMs through your custom recovery. Also you can always unroot and restore it back to stock. Each phone is different depending on manufacturer and carrier.

    And yes there are a few apps that can save your info on the computer. But regarding files or data, just do it yourself. Android plug into a computer turns into a mass storage device. Just simply pull off what you want to back up.

    Also I wouldn't worry about the flash thing. Just use chrome. It has built in plugins that help with certain websites.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Samsung GS4 GPE | LG Nexus 4 - Sold | GNexus - Sold | HTC One S - Broke | Vibrant - Retired
    Spread some love, Like/Thanks button -->
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

    Default Re: First Time Android User!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ryandroid86 View Post
    Rooting is fun. There are many benefits. But not really recommended for the faint of heart or the ones who don't want to research how-tos and possible problems. It can be complicated.

    Yes once you unlock your boot loader and install a superuser. Your phone won't look any different. You can then make a back up of your current phone (complete) and then install and run different ROMs through your custom recovery. Also you can always unroot and restore it back to stock. Each phone is different depending on manufacturer and carrier.

    And yes there are a few apps that can save your info on the computer. But regarding files or data, just do it yourself. Android plug into a computer turns into a mass storage device. Just simply pull off what you want to back up.

    Also I wouldn't worry about the flash thing. Just use chrome. It has built in plugins that help with certain websites.

    Posted via Android Central App
    I noticed there is this program called SuperOneClick that can root my phone very easily. I'm thinking I'll go that route, and remove all the junk. I'm actually liking HTC Sense more and more while I'm learning it's functions so I think I might skip Android stock and stick to sense but I really have to remove all the damn bloatware haha.

    I appreciate all the help. I'll be sure to ask for more as I keep on learning and such. A few basic questions though. How do I take screen shots? What exactly is this damn HTC Zoe that's built into the camera? I find having it turned off gives me easier and better quality pictures. Also why is it that I'm having highlights in my picture folder they come and go as they please I keep removing them though I do find it annoying however. Anyone to disable this functionality or just learn what the neck it is

    Posted via Android Central App
  6. #6  

    Default Re: First Time Android User!

    Quote Originally Posted by TheUnknownUser View Post
    I noticed there is this program called SuperOneClick that can root my phone very easily. I'm thinking I'll go that route, and remove all the junk. I'm actually liking HTC Sense more and more while I'm learning it's functions so I think I might skip Android stock and stick to sense but I really have to remove all the damn bloatware haha.

    I appreciate all the help. I'll be sure to ask for more as I keep on learning and such. A few basic questions though. How do I take screen shots? What exactly is this damn HTC Zoe that's built into the camera? I find having it turned off gives me easier and better quality pictures. Also why is it that I'm having highlights in my picture folder they come and go as they please I keep removing them though I do find it annoying however. Anyone to disable this functionality or just learn what the neck it is

    Posted via Android Central App
    Im not too familiar with all the HTC Sense 5.0 stuff
    You can always read the review, Im sure its covered. HTC One review | Android Central

    Take a screen shot by holding volume down and the power button for 3 seconds. This will work on all new android phones since ICS.

    And I usually dont recommend using the one click methods because it didnt allow you to know what it was doing regarding ADB and Fastboot.
    This is crucial information to know in case anything happens. Plus if the HTC one is anything like my HTC one S... you have to flash the boot.img via fastboot for every ROM you decide to install.
    Thats why its better to read and do the "hard" way. Not some easy click solution.
    Samsung GS4 GPE | LG Nexus 4 - Sold | GNexus - Sold | HTC One S - Broke | Vibrant - Retired
    Spread some love, Like/Thanks button -->

Similar Threads

  1. Will Note 8 Get Android 4.3 with Comparable Software to the New 10.1?
    By Matt Caron in forum Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-01-2013, 07:16 PM
  2. Gmail privacy protection on Android/Nexus 4
    By nexusphile73 in forum Google Nexus 4
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-24-2013, 09:01 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-23-2013, 08:26 PM
  4. need to download maual for android 4.2 phone
    By JoDee Abbott in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-23-2013, 05:38 PM
  5. Is Android quad core box xbmc box is available?
    By lily0505 in forum Android 4.1 / 4.2 / 4.3 Jelly Bean
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-23-2013, 06:42 AM

Posting Permissions