Yahoo contacts syncing issue

Rodeo52

Oct 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi. This is my first time posting. Forgive me if this has been discussed already, but I can not get my Yahoo contacts to sync to my phone's address book. Is anyone else having this issue? I called both AT&T and HTC and they both state that it is a Yahoo issue. I can't find anything online of anyone else having this issue. I only get generic replies back from Yahoo on how to sync my phone. I am not an *****. I know how to sync. So far I have manually disabled and re-enabled syncing my Yahoo account to my phone, uninstalled and reinstalled the Yahoo mail app, restarted my phone, and cleared the cache. When I go to sync, I get a red circle next to Yahoo on my list and it states down below that sync is currently experiencing problems and it will be back shortly. It's been a week now. There is a sync error only for the Yahoo contacts. All other accounts sync just fine. It shows in my phone's address book that I have 0 Yahoo contacts, yet when I get on the computer, all of my contacts are there. Please help. Without my phone being able to sync with Yahoo, I can not call, text, or e-mail any of those Yahoo contacts. I am at a loss. It is so frustrating. Is it me, my phone, or the new Yahoo mail app update???

Ryandroid86

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hi. This is my first time posting. Forgive me if this has been discussed already, but I can not get my Yahoo contacts to sync to my phone's address book. Is anyone else having this issue? I called both AT&T and HTC and they both state that it is a Yahoo issue. I can't find anything online of anyone else having this issue. I only get generic replies back from Yahoo on how to sync my phone. I am not an *****. I know how to sync. So far I have manually disabled and re-enabled syncing my Yahoo account to my phone, uninstalled and reinstalled the Yahoo mail app, restarted my phone, and cleared the cache. When I go to sync, I get a red circle next to Yahoo on my list and it states down below that sync is currently experiencing problems and it will be back shortly. It's been a week now. There is a sync error only for the Yahoo contacts. All other accounts sync just fine. It shows in my phone's address book that I have 0 Yahoo contacts, yet when I get on the computer, all of my contacts are there. Please help. Without my phone being able to sync with Yahoo, I can not call, text, or e-mail any of those Yahoo contacts. I am at a loss. It is so frustrating. Is it me, my phone, or the new Yahoo mail app update???

Well I dont have an answer to your problem.
But I do know that you could always transfer all your contacts from yahoo to google.
I believe google has a tool to do this easily from a computer.

I know google works perfectly.
But Im sorry to hear your having this issue

lacough

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same issue, but I am on sprint. I have had the same issue since updating to 4.3. I have done the same "fixes" and still no luck. I am hoping there is an update soon that fixes the issue.

Posted via Android Central App

nollert

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I do not use the Yahoo app on my iphone.
Just go to settings, mail contacts calendars, yahoo and make sure you have all the appropriate sliders turned on (e.g., mail, contacts, calendars, etc).
If you don't have a yahoo account on this settings screen, just add it.
I've been doing this for years.

Tom

Rns75

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
New to android and had same issue. Sorted via advice here of exporting Yahoo contacts to Gmail (Yahoo mail>contacts>export). For some reason exporting as csv as recommended on Gmail only exported/imported first contact but exporting as vcf worked. Thanks for posting problem/solution advice. R

Posted via Android Central App

Jeanne Johnson

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
Help, who the heck can you even get through to for this solution? Suddenly all my contacts are gone. I tried to sync again. I uninstalled & reinstalled yahoo mail. I have called Verizon and they say its a yahoo issue? Why is it that they can't fix this since its their fault?? Good luck getting a human to talk to. It was fine last week and now...no contacts. I am mad as hell over this issue.

I did that already and it still didn't work

Last edited by a moderator:

jimhwall

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem which started a couple weeks ago with my LG volt.
I have learned from trial and error that syncing contacts with the Yahoo mail app gets the error.
If I install the Yahoo Messenger app then the contacts sync but the groups in my Yahoo address book do not.

SirJB7

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi!
Bad news, Yahoo mail version 5.x might be very efficient, smart and good looking but it sucks on contacts.
I tried every faq, forum, question, and no working response neither from Yahoo nor from users. There's no way to sync Yahoo contacts with the mobile address book neither in Android 4.4 nor 5.0 nor the newly received 6.0 for my LG G4.
I even tried the top of generic mail clilents, TType, and the same problems arised.
I uninstalled the two apps, actual Yahoo mail and Ttype and...
A few minutes ago I searched for a version 4.x, found the 4.9.2 (I don't post the link as I don't fully know this forum policy, but it's easy to find and directy downloadable. I installed it (checking unkown sources), and the first thing I saw after entering address and password was a pop up asking for contacts syncing enabled by default.
I set up all my Yahoo mail accounts, went to Contacts default app, choose view contacts and all the Yahoo accounts appeared in the list.
Lastly I went to the Play Store, looked for the Yahoo mail just installed and unchecked automatic updates.
This works and will continue doing so until Yahoo solves the contacts sync issue (which I doubt regarding the worldwide situation of the group) or until they force you to an update.
Regards!

Last edited:

Paws4cats

Oct 1, 2016
Visit site
Hi!
Bad news, Yahoo mail version 5.x might be very efficient, smart and good looking but it sucks on contacts.
I tried every faq, forum, question, and no working response neither from Yahoo nor from users. There's no way to sync Yahoo contacts with the mobile address book neither in Android 4.4 nor 5.0 nor the newly received 6.0 for my LG G4.
I even tried the top of generic mail clilents, TType, and the same problems arised.
I uninstalled the two apps, actual Yahoo mail and Ttype and...
A few minutes ago I searched for a version 4.x, found the 4.9.2 (I don't post the link as I don't fully know this forum policy, but it's easy to find and directy downloadable. I installed it (checking unkown sources), and the first thing I saw after entering address and password was a pop up asking for contacts syncing enabled by default.
I set up all my Yahoo mail accounts, went to Contacts default app, choose view contacts and all the Yahoo accounts appeared in the list.
Lastly I went to the Play Store, looked for the Yahoo mail just installed and unchecked automatic updates.
This works and will continue doing so until Yahoo solves the contacts sync issue (which I doubt regarding the worldwide situation of the group) or until they force you to an update.
Regards!

Thank you, thank you!! Your advice was spot-on and so incredibly helpful!! I was able to restore/sync all my lost contacts! So appreciative for your post!

Last edited by a moderator:

gregality

May 6, 2013
Visit site
The first time I installed the Yahoo Mail app and enabled syncing, I got the "sync is currently experiencing problems" error. The next day I uninstalled Yahoo Mail, reinstalled and re-enabled syncing, and it worked! Not sure why. (I have an LG G5, but this thread inspired me to try reinstalling.)

omnimonous

Oct 6, 2017
Visit site

The Yahoo APP installs without permissions to contacts.
you have to go to manage Apps and give it access to contacts.

Mr Caramel

Feb 27, 2023
Visit site
Yahoo started messing with contact sync starting version 6.39 of the Yahoo mail app. I use a Galaxy s7 running oreo 8.0.0, which is the last stock rom Samsung provided for this phone. When my Yahoo contacts disappeared in my contact list a few years ago, I found this solution. IMPORTANT: Do things in this order: (1) disable automatic updates in the playstore - unless you really want to go through this every day (2) download and install the Yahoo 6.38.1 app apk from a trusted site - an online search will lead to a few different options (3) once installed, change the permissions for the Yahoo app to allow access to contacts (4) create a Yahoo account (5) in the Yahoo account settings, enable contact sync ... et voilà! If it works, buy me a beer if we ever meet!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central, and thanks for the tip! This is a pretty old thread, but hopefully it'll help someone.