I've got the HTC One V. ASK ME QUESTIONS, INTERNET

Alex Dobie

Executive Editor, Android Central
Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Does it have enough juice to run skype with video and still get good clear sound.

No front-facing camera on the One V, so you wouldn't be able to make video calls anyway.

hows the display compared to the htc nexus one? is it pentile like the nexus one? does it feel better?

Same resolution and screen size, but it's SLCD2 rather than AMOLED, so it's not pentile, and it looks a bit better.

sifriheavy

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I believe this are important questions:

1) How good is the keyboard? from 1 to 10, 10 being the highest mark. do you feel it is cramped?
2) How good is autocorrect? how do you think it fares when compared to swiftkey X ?
3) Does it come with headphones? if yes, how good are they? beats in there?

Alex Dobie

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
How is the battery life? Do you see any lag when using the phone? And do you think this phone will come to Virgin Mobile USA?

No lag per se, but it's not quite as responsive as high-end (dual-core) ICS phones. Battery life seems fine, should get a full day easily.

No idea about specific networks, but I wouldn't be surprised to see this on pre-paid or regional carriers.

I believe this are important questions:

1) How good is the keyboard? from 1 to 10, 10 being the highest mark. do you feel it is cramped?
2) How good is autocorrect? how do you think it fares when compared to swiftkey X ?
3) Does it come with headphones? if yes, how good are they? beats in there?

It's the standard Sense 4 keyboard. It's pretty good out of the box, but it doesn't learn the way Swiftkey does. Autocorrect does a good job, it works about as well as it does on the stock ICS keyboard. The keyboard doesn't feel too cramped, but obviously you've got less space than on a larger device. It's still perfectly usable though.

It comes with earphones, and they're the same crappy, generic HTC ones that ship with the One X and One S (not the urBeats/iBeats that came with the Rezound and Sensation XL). They're pretty bad, you probably won't want to use them. On the other hand, the One V still includes all the Beats software enhancements, so if you've got some decent in-ear earphones you'll be good to go.

Last edited:

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Everyone with half a dozen synapses makes fun of the "chin, " but it looks from your video this morning that it makes it really easy to hold and operate one-handed. I'm always hitting my Amazes home button playing Quell, so a little "finger rest" seems brilliant. Let us know how that works for you out and about.

With expandable memory (that I presume can be encrypted), great battery life, and fewer gewgaws, I'm thinking this could be the best One for busy business people who can't charge every 3 hours and already have their hands full. Will be interested in your real world user experience with the Little One That Could. ;-)

Alex Dobie

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Everyone with half a dozen synapses makes fun of the "chin, " but it looks from your video this morning that it makes it really easy to hold and operate one-handed. I'm always hitting my Amazes home button playing Quell, so a little "finger rest" seems brilliant. Let us know how that works for you out and about.

With expandable memory (that I presume can be encrypted), great battery life, and fewer gewgaws, I'm thinking this could be the best One for busy business people who can't charge every 3 hours and already have their hands full. Will be interested in your real world user experience with the Little One That Could. ;-)

The chin is cool. A bunch of other HTC devices have had the same kind of profile, just nowhere near as pronounced (Desire, Desire S, etc.) It also helps to protect the screen when it's laying flat.

jiwon0522

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
i read somewhere that it doesn't have digital compass. what does that mean for google map/navigation apps? i use those with gps enabled on my other phone pretty often.
also can it play flash-heavy websites like dailyshow/colbert report/south park? i'm expecting some delays and lags, but wondering if they're playable at all.

Speedygi

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Do you think it can be easily rooted?

Is the bootloader locked or unlocked?

The bootloader is locked out of the box. The Instructions to unlock are on the HTC Developer site.

However, the clockworkmod recovery file needed for flashing Superuser on it seems unavailable in any source I have tried to search for it. It seems rooting the One V or any of the One family is a rather new prospect and seems to be in 'Beta' mode or something.

Short answer: Rooting is not really a reliable thing to do for the One V at the moment but sometime in the future it will be a reality, sure...

rcsrich

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Speedygi, or anyone else that wants to comment:

What do you do with a phone like the One V when you need to perform a battery pull? I have a Moto Triumph & an Optimus V and both have needed a battery pull once or twice when they've gotten hella confused. How is this accomplished on a phone with a non-removable (at least easily) battery?

Course, never had to do it with my Nook Color...

Last edited:

Speedygi

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Press the power button while you also depress the volume down rocker to go into Fastboot mode when the phone is switched off, and a reboot when the phone is freezed up or something. It is the equivalent of a removable battery pull for the One V.

kachowdhury

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
Do you consider this phone better than the Sony Ericsson Neo V/ xperia U in terms of display, battery life and features?
I am planning to buy any of these as my second phone.

Sent from my EVO 3D using AC app

Speedygi

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion, the One V has a better build, display and battery life.

Afterwhich it is really a question of Sense versus Sony 's implementation.

In the absence of that question, I could argue that the One V is better. Sure.

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

Reactions: kachowdhury

12noon

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
For me the battery life is fine and much better than my last phone. I can get a good day out of it and then charge it the following morning ready for the new day.

The chin at the bottom of the phone is ok, but does make it a bit tricky getting it into a sock (small cloth case).

The camera isn't top of the range, but does a better job than i was expecting. It also has face recognition. No front facing camera though.

When i first got the phone i was expecting it to be a bit sluggish, but it's ok to tell the truth. Also web browsing isn't as bad as i was expecting (could be what i've been looking at) and the facebook app works better on this phone than my last.

All in all i'm very satisfied with my new HTC One V. I wouldn't have wanted one of the bigger sized versions because i need my phone to fit into my pocket.