Unlock/Root/Rom One V + PACman Jelly Bean!

andrewnelson23

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Hello All.

Been seeing some confusion on how exactly to root this thing and put a custom rom on it.

First things first. I'm like 85% sure YOU HAVE TO HAVE A COMPUTER TO DO THIS.
Second I am only giving the walkthrough for the cdma PRIMOC version. You can know what kind you have because your bootloader will say either primoc or primou. Primoc is the Virgin Mobile phone released in the USA.

GO TO STEP 4 ON GUIDE FOR PACman (Paranoid Android + AOKP + CM10)

Here we go.

1. Unlock the bootloader.

1. Go Here "http://www.htcdev.com/" and create yourself an account on HTCDEV.
2. Download these Fastboot Files.
3. Make a new folder on your C: drive called fastboot.
4. Extract The Zip downloaded in step 2 to the new folder
5. Go Here HTCdev - Unlock Bootloader and select "All Other Supported Models" and "then begin unlock bootloader"
6. Yes, Tick both Boxes, Proceed
7. Skip up to step 8 as we have all we need for the first 7 steps
8. Power off your phone by holding the power button down for 5-7 seconds (the three keys will flash a few times then it will power off)
9. Hold volume down button, the device will boot to HBOOT
10. Select Fastboot With Volume+or- then press Power once (you'll be in fastboot mode)
11. plug your phone into your PC and open a Command Prompt.
(windows XP - Click Start > Run > type CMD in box then press OK
(Windows 7 - Click Start > type CMD in search box then press Enter)
12. cd to your folder where we put fastboot files cd c:\fastboot
13. type this into your command prompt window fastboot oem get_identifier_token
14. select & copy the text as per step 9 on the HTCDev website
15. paste your identifier token into the box at the bottom and submit
You Will Very Shortly Receive an email from HTCDev with a link to the second part of the instructions and your "Unlock_code.bin" attached
16. download the "Unlock_code.bin" from the email and save it to the same folder that we extracted fastboot files to in step 2
17. type this into your command prompt window fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin
18. The Display Will change on your phone, press Vol + to accept and power to confirm.

Congratulations You Have Successfully Unlocked Your Bootloader​

2. Ya gotta root the device!
To do this,
1. Download r1-primo-cdma-superboot.zip to your computer and extract in any directory.
2. Power off your phone by holding the power button down for 5-7 seconds (the three keys will flash a few times then it will power off)
3. Hold volume down button, the device will boot to HBOOT
4. Select Fastboot With Volume+or- then press Power once (you'll be in fastboot mode)
5. Connect your phone to PC
6. Double click ?install-superboot-windows.bat?

Once it complete, the phone will reboot on its own. In app drawer you will see a SuperSU icon, click on it and update SU binary then you are done with rooting your Htc One V.

You can try any app with root access to confirm it is working.​

Credit from the last two steps goes to ckpv5 over at xda here.

3. Now you need to put a custom recovery on your phone.
1. Go here and click the big orange download button. It'll take you to another page. Click download again at that page. Now click recoveries. Then click cwmrecovery.img.
2. Rename it to simply recovery.img(don't include the .img. That's the file extension, you don't add that into the name)
3. Move .img file named 'recovery' to the fastboot folder from earlier in step 1.3.
4. Open command prompt and navigate(cd) to the fastboot folder.
5. Reboot your phone. Hold the power button until the screen goes black. Then release power button and hold volume down button. MAKE SURE TO NEVER EVER EVER ACCIDENTALLY DO THE VOLUME UP BUTTON WHEN BOOTING TO HBOOT. This is a matter of brick or not brick.
6. This will open hboot, which is the bootloader. Let it load and then click the fastboot.
7. Plug your phone into your computer. Your phone should now say fastboot usb (or something like that).
8. In your command prompt you should be cd'd to the fastboot folder. Now type
Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
9. This will install the recovery.​

Credit goes to jmztaylor from here.

4. Install a custom rom
1. download the rom and gapps. MAKE SURE IT'S A CDMA OR PRIMOC ROM. There are a few over at xda. My daily is currently PACman v19.3. I'll walk you through getting this. There are ZERO problems with this ROM. EVERYTHING WORKS :D Get the latest PACman from from this thread by inyourface09. For gapps(gapps are apps made by google, such as gmail, talk, google services, etc. Highly recommended) here's the gapps. Select the latest one. Put the rom and gapps on your sdcard. After this, unplug phone from computer.
2.download an appropriate boot.img for it.This is either in the rom and needs to be extracted from it before you flash, or it's a separate one. I used the boot img from simonsimons34 from here. Place the boot.img in that good ole fastboot folder and rename to just 'boot'.
3. Boot into recovery. If coming from stock, you gotta go to hboot first with the method from above.
4. BACKUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT OPTIONAL.
5. Wipe data. Wipe cache. Wipe dalvik(from the advanced menu). Go to mounts and storage. wipe the /system partition. Now install zip from sdcard. choose zip. find the pacman rom. install and confirm.
6. reboot. It should hang in boot logo. Now, hold power button til screen goes black and then hold volume down until it gets into hboot again. Go into fastboot.
7. plug phone in. it should say fastboot usb or something like that.
8. open command prompt and cd to the fastboot folder.
9. Type
Code:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
10. Enter :) This will install the boot. img.
11. Go back to bootloader and select recovery. It'll boot you to your recovery.
12. Install zip from sdcard>choose zip>gapps(whatever it's named)>confirm
13. reboot and enjoy. :D

Credits to both inyourface09 and simonsimons34 both for being awesome.

Last edited:
Reactions: Encerspay45

mknollman123

Frugal Nerd Tinkerer
Dec 26, 2010
Visit site
Re: Unlock/Root/Rom One V + CM10 Jelly Bean!

pretty nice step by step here - wish it was out there all together like this 2 weeks ago when I did this on my and my wife's phones - would have saved me a lot of time

-thanks for putting in the time to make it!

andrewnelson23

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site

Haha it took a good two hours for me to figure out the whole process when I got my phone last Thursday. Yeah no problem! Hoping this forum gets some more organization.

xxlemonxx

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site

Alright im having a bad feelings about this for some reason.. so just before i do this how do i make sure my start-->run codes are working? I tryed Abd devices and stuff and i just got an error everytime.. I dont want to flash the boot img somehow and then im stuck.. ahhh.

1. Go into recovery --> Install rom , reboot, Let it hang.. Go back into Hboot/fastboot and install boot.img then flash gapps in recovery? Clean wipe before all this too? Thank you alot guyss.

On my O.v i just did it all from my phone.. and with the one v im losttt

I was in fastboot and typed fastboot flash boot boot.img in my start-->run and it just gives me an error. >.<

Last edited:

andrewnelson23

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site

Alright im having a bad feelings about this for some reason.. so just before i do this how do i make sure my start-->run codes are working? I tryed Abd devices and stuff and i just got an error everytime.. I dont want to flash the boot img somehow and then im stuck.. ahhh.

1. Go into recovery --> Install rom , reboot, Let it hang.. Go back into Hboot/fastboot and install boot.img then flash gapps in recovery? Clean wipe before all this too? Thank you alot guyss.

On my O.v i just did it all from my phone.. and with the one v im losttt

I was in fastboot and typed fastboot flash boot boot.img in my start-->run and it just gives me an error. >.<

are you cd'd to your fastboot folder??? first you need to know where you put the fastboot folder at. then, open up a command prompt(start cmd). Then type cd WHEREVERYOURFASTBOOTFOLDERISLOCATEDAT
Make sure the boot.img is in that folder.
For instance, on my computer, I have the fastboot folder on my root drive(C:\). so here's my process.
I open a command prompt. when I open up the command prompt, it says C:\Users\Administrator>
I type cd C:\fastboot
it returns with C:\fastboot
I then type fastboot flash boot boot.img
and then it returns with some comments about pushing the .img whatnot. Then it's done and I remove the usb. Return to hboot and boot to recovery to flash the gapps.

Your fastboot folder might be located somewhere else. But if you put it directly on the C:\ drive, then you can follow what I just did above.

xxlemonxx

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site

are you cd'd to your fastboot folder??? first you need to know where you put the fastboot folder at. then, open up a command prompt(start cmd). Then type cd WHEREVERYOURFASTBOOTFOLDERISLOCATEDAT
Make sure the boot.img is in that folder.
For instance, on my computer, I have the fastboot folder on my root drive(C:\). so here's my process.
I open a command prompt. when I open up the command prompt, it says C:\Users\Administrator>
I type cd C:\fastboot
it returns with C:\fastboot
I then type fastboot flash boot boot.img
and then it returns with some comments about pushing the .img whatnot. Then it's done and I remove the usb. Return to hboot and boot to recovery to flash the gapps.

Your fastboot folder might be located somewhere else. But if you put it directly on the C:\ drive, then you can follow what I just did above.
It said its not recognized as a external or internal command?

Soo apparently i dont have sdk tools installed and i go to install it and i need java thing.. and on the website they dont have x32bit for windows xp even though they say they do.. So i guess i cant even flash a boot img now? Wow.. is there any other way?

Last edited:

andrewnelson23

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site

How could you have unlocked the phone without the fastboot files? You don't need the SDK. All you need are the fast boot files.

andrewnelson23

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site

It is currently 442 for me. I will be on at 715 tonight I can team view you then. So two and a half hours from this post.

xxlemonxx

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site

I have installed Android sdk tools and all this stuff and i go into command prompt and type "FASTBOOT FLASH THE BOOT.IMG" , and i still get a fastboot in not recognized and the same error as before. I tryed the tool kit and it didnt read my device, i re installed the fastboot files and extracted them too. Nothing works, this is so frustrating.. Im about to just say screw it. :///

Last edited:

joshua.worth

Android Guru
Mar 24, 2010
Visit site

Is that right your using a ROM as a daily driver that the LCD won't shut off on? Hopefully the ROM builder just hasn't updated that in his original post?

Sent from my HTC One V

xxlemonxx

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site

I've been using it for almost a week as a daily, only things that are broke are..
1. Camcorder
2. Led light, works when charging a though
3. Backlight, can barely see it. Doesn't drain battery though, battery life is amazing

Sent from my One V using Android Central Forums

andrewnelson23

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site

Is that right your using a ROM as a daily driver that the LCD won't shut off on? Hopefully the ROM builder just hasn't updated that in his original post?

Sent from my HTC One V

This was correct. But you make it sound worse than it is. The backlight was still on, but you couldn't tell unless you were in a dark place. It worked perfect for me. Anyway, that has been fixed now!!! :) I updated the OP with current build and boot.img. The only problems now are the camcorder and the blinking notification light.

xxlemonxx

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site

This was correct. But you make it sound worse than it is. The backlight was still on, but you couldn't tell unless you were in a dark place. It worked perfect for me. Anyway, that has been fixed now!!! :) I updated the OP with current build and boot.img. The only problems now are the camcorder and the blinking notification light.

I haven't updated it yet.. and its not even like its a rabid blink its a calm blink only on charge. Love the rom :)

joshua.worth

Android Guru
Mar 24, 2010
Visit site

This sounds awesome just traded in my beat up Gnex at Best Buy for 189 and picked this up thinking it would be temporary and I'd have to live with Sense but I'm pleasantly surprised by the awesome development on this device.

Sent from my HTC One V

andrewnelson23

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site

This sounds awesome just traded in my beat up Gnex at Best Buy for 189 and picked this up thinking it would be temporary and I'd have to live with Sense but I'm pleasantly surprised by the awesome development on this device.

Sent from my HTC One V

cm10 gets rid of sense....

xxlemonxx

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site

cm10 gets rid of sense....

You read his post wrong he said he thought he would have to have sense forever but now he sees cm 10 available :D
And should I update so I can fix backlight??

andrewnelson23

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site

You read his post wrong he said he thought he would have to have sense forever but now he sees cm 10 available :D
And should I update so I can fix backlight??

I think it's worth it. You don't actually have to update the rom though. You could just fastboot flash the new boot.img and it should fix backlight. :)