Been seeing some confusion on how exactly to root this thing and put a custom rom on it.
First things first. I'm like 85% sure YOU HAVE TO HAVE A COMPUTER TO DO THIS.
Second I am only giving the walkthrough for the cdma PRIMOC version. You can know what kind you have because your bootloader will say either primoc or primou. Primoc is the Virgin Mobile phone released in the USA.
GO TO STEP 4 ON GUIDE FOR PACman (Paranoid Android + AOKP + CM10)
Here we go.
1. Unlock the bootloader.
1. Go Here "http://www.htcdev.com/" and create yourself an account on HTCDEV.
2. Download these Fastboot Files.
3. Make a new folder on your C: drive called fastboot.
4. Extract The Zip downloaded in step 2 to the new folder
5. Go Here HTCdev - Unlock Bootloader
and select "All Other Supported Models" and "then begin unlock bootloader"
6. Yes, Tick both Boxes, Proceed
7. Skip up to step 8 as we have all we need for the first 7 steps
8. Power off your phone by holding the power button down for 5-7 seconds (the three keys will flash a few times then it will power off)
9. Hold volume down button, the device will boot to HBOOT
10. Select Fastboot With Volume+or- then press Power once (you'll be in fastboot mode)
11. plug your phone into your PC and open a Command Prompt.
(windows XP - Click Start > Run > type CMD in box then press OK
(Windows 7 - Click Start > type CMD in search box then press Enter)
12. cd to your folder where we put fastboot files cd c:\fastboot
13. type this into your command prompt window fastboot oem get_identifier_token
14. select & copy the text as per step 9 on the HTCDev website
15. paste your identifier token into the box at the bottom and submit
You Will Very Shortly Receive an email from HTCDev with a link to the second part of the instructions and your "Unlock_code.bin" attached
16. download the "Unlock_code.bin" from the email and save it to the same folder that we extracted fastboot files to in step 2
17. type this into your command prompt window fastboot flash unlocktoken Unlock_code.bin
18. The Display Will change on your phone, press Vol + to accept and power to confirm.
Congratulations You Have Successfully Unlocked Your Bootloader
2. Ya gotta root the device!
To do this,
1. Download r1-primo-cdma-superboot.zip
to your computer and extract in any directory.
2. Power off your phone by holding the power button down for 5-7 seconds (the three keys will flash a few times then it will power off)
3. Hold volume down button, the device will boot to HBOOT
4. Select Fastboot With Volume+or- then press Power once (you'll be in fastboot mode)
5. Connect your phone to PC
6. Double click install-superboot-windows.bat
Once it complete, the phone will reboot on its own. In app drawer you will see a SuperSU icon, click on it and update SU binary then you are done with rooting your Htc One V.
You can try any app with root access to confirm it is working.
Credit from the last two steps goes to ckpv5 over at xda here.
3. Now you need to put a custom recovery on your phone.
1. Go here
and click the big orange download button. It'll take you to another page. Click download again at that page. Now click recoveries. Then click cwmrecovery.img.
2. Rename it to simply recovery.img(don't include the .img. That's the file extension, you don't add that into the name)
3. Move .img file named 'recovery' to the fastboot folder from earlier in step 1.3.
4. Open command prompt and navigate(cd) to the fastboot folder.
5. Reboot your phone. Hold the power button until the screen goes black. Then release power button and hold volume down button. MAKE SURE TO NEVER EVER EVER ACCIDENTALLY DO THE VOLUME UP BUTTON WHEN BOOTING TO HBOOT. This is a matter of brick or not brick.
6. This will open hboot, which is the bootloader. Let it load and then click the fastboot.
7. Plug your phone into your computer. Your phone should now say fastboot usb (or something like that).
8. In your command prompt you should be cd'd to the fastboot folder. Now type
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
9. This will install the recovery.
Credit goes to jmztaylor from here.
4. Install a custom rom
1. download the rom and gapps. MAKE SURE IT'S A CDMA OR PRIMOC ROM. There are a few over at xda. My daily is currently PACman v19.3. I'll walk you through getting this. There are ZERO problems with this ROM. EVERYTHING WORKS
Get the latest PACman from from this thread
by inyourface09. For gapps(gapps are apps made by google, such as gmail, talk, google services, etc. Highly recommended) here's the gapps. Select the latest one.
Put the rom and gapps on your sdcard. After this, unplug phone from computer.
2.download an appropriate boot.img for it.This is either in the rom and needs to be extracted from it before you flash, or it's a separate one. I used the boot img from simonsimons34 from here.
Place the boot.img in that good ole fastboot folder and rename to just 'boot'.
3. Boot into recovery. If coming from stock, you gotta go to hboot first with the method from above.
4. BACKUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT OPTIONAL.
5. Wipe data. Wipe cache. Wipe dalvik(from the advanced menu). Go to mounts and storage. wipe the /system partition. Now install zip from sdcard. choose zip. find the pacman rom. install and confirm.
6. reboot. It should hang in boot logo. Now, hold power button til screen goes black and then hold volume down until it gets into hboot again. Go into fastboot.
7. plug phone in. it should say fastboot usb or something like that.
8. open command prompt and cd to the fastboot folder.
fastboot flash boot boot.img
This will install the boot. img.
11. Go back to bootloader and select recovery. It'll boot you to your recovery.
12. Install zip from sdcard>choose zip>gapps(whatever it's named)>confirm
13. reboot and enjoy.
Credits to both inyourface09 and simonsimons34 both for being awesome.