1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Cannot switch off channel broadcast - critical issue (int'l version)

Hello,

I have HTC One V international (GSM) version, unlocked, targeted to NL/BE/Lux (Europe).

Struggling from a big issue - when going abroad from the Netherlands to some countries, eg. Poland, receiving loads of text messages like SMS from 2-digit numbers, over 50 per minute. This isn't in fact SMS, but a cell broadcast with local dating offers etc. Additionally, a pop up appears every few minutes with base station location. Doesn't matter it is my Dutch simcard (KPN) in roaming, or a local T-Mobile sim.

Normally, all phones have cell broadcast off by default and you can opt-in for these messages.

On my HTC Cell Broadcast in Call settings is always active, grayed-out so can't disable (see picture #1). Pre-selected chanels 519 & 919 (NL-Alert) - also can't delete, but phone receives other channels too (that crappy messages are chan. #20-49 and those pop-ups are on #50).

Escalated to HTC NL - first they ignored me, then after nagging on their facebook - called me back first saying "I cannot disable CB", and later that I can in the settings. I tried and cannot cause it's grayed-out as mentioned - take a look at the picture below.

Any advice? How about rooting the phone? Or need a new ROM? Actually I cannot use the phone abroad due to that spam and if can't fix it, will return it. But first wanna look for some solution, hope there is...

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cannot switch off channel broadcast - critical issue (int'l version)-_scf9668.jpg   Cannot switch off channel broadcast - critical issue (int'l version)-_scf9669.jpg   Cannot switch off channel broadcast - critical issue (int'l version)-_scf9667.jpg  

Default Re: Cannot switch off channel broadcast - critical issue (int'l version)

Those CB messages are indeed a real PITA!

You probably did but have you tried press and hold on each channel item? I get a popup allowing me to edit or delete the channel item (on my S2). I know it's obvious but I find the Android UI not always intuitive.

Default Re: Cannot switch off channel broadcast - critical issue (int'l version)

Hi
    You can switch off the Cell Broadcast MSG (CB) by going to Settings --> Calls --> deselect the Cell Broadcast option. Done enjoy