Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By Jerry Hildenbrand
  • 5 Post By ajmele64
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Ethics Question

Long time lurker...but I have a question. I'll give you folks the backstory and hopefully you can steer me in the right direction.

I ordered 2 HTC one V's from amazon thanksgiving day for $99. each. Cyber monday, VM had the big sale for $50, I talked to amazon about a PM and they said no. The order had shipped so I asked about a return and they sent me a link to send the package back. I then ordered the 2 phones from VM on cyber monday.

Later in the day, amazon went live with a price match at $50. I contacted them again(the package was scheduled to arrive at my home on tuesday), and the gentleman I spoke with agreed to refund the difference. I figured if they were on their way and for the same price, I would keep the phones from amazon. As soon as I got the comfirmation email from Amazon for the refund, I called VM to cancel my order, which was still pending at the time. I spoke to a man at VM and he cancelled it. I was able to look on my VM account online and showed it was cancelled. Later Monday evening,about 10PM EST, I checked my VM accout and the order showed up as submitted. So I called them back.(btw- there was a pending charge from them showing on my debit card account)

The woman I spoke to confirmed the cancel and gave me a reference #. Thank you.

To make an already long story shorter.....I recieved the 2 phones from VM today and the did NOT charge my card.

Should I keep them? I feel like its stealing, but it surely was their mix up as I tried to do the right thing.

Comments are appreciated!!
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,204 Global Posts

Default Re: Ethics Question

Send them back.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

You already know the answer!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    Ry 

Keeping them makes you a thief.
    How much being a thief will bother you is something none of us can answer.
    ಠ_ಠ
    제리
    Kevin O'Quinn and zedorda like this.

Global Posts
    293 Global Posts

Legally, you are entitled to keep it. Morally, it is up to you. You could always donate it to a cause.

Keep them. It was their mistake.

Sent from my HTC One V using Android Central Forums

If they make it easy, than yeah, send them back. If they don't provide a shipping label, its not your responsibility to handle their shrinkage.
    Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

Check your bank account again. I ordered the One V from Virgin, I had a pending charge for the amount of the phone, which later disappeared and funds back in my account, and then the next day I was charged for the phone.

If they don't receive the goods back they can charge you for them and likely will.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Even though it was their mess up I decided to send them back. I called them and told the the situation, and the woman I spoke too was so happy and surprised at my honesty. She said she would mail me out a return shipping label ASAP, as long as they do, I'm sending them back. I just feel its the right thing to do.

As an aside, I live on Long Island and VM did step up and credit my sons account with some money to pay for a month of service+ because of Hurricane Sandy. We were lucky that we didnt lose anything except a few days of power, unlike many others more unfortunate than us. It just so happened that it was time for a top up on his account and they went ahead and did it. That was an awesome gesture as far as I'm concerned. We have 3 VM accounts in the family and I'm adding a 4th for my 11yo son.

Even though we're struggling in this still crappy economy, I try to believe that good things happen to good people. I always instill in my boys to do the right thing and I did.

Thanks for all the comments, and all the tips and help here in the forum.

Happy Holidays!!

Your boys should be proud of you. I think the rest of us here are proud your a member here also.

Quote Originally Posted by ajmele64 View Post
    Even though it was their mess up I decided to send them back. I called them and told the the situation, and the woman I spoke too was so happy and surprised at my honesty. She said she would mail me out a return shipping label ASAP, as long as they do, I'm sending them back. I just feel its the right thing to do.

As an aside, I live on Long Island and VM did step up and credit my sons account with some money to pay for a month of service+ because of Hurricane Sandy. We were lucky that we didnt lose anything except a few days of power, unlike many others more unfortunate than us. It just so happened that it was time for a top up on his account and they went ahead and did it. That was an awesome gesture as far as I'm concerned. We have 3 VM accounts in the family and I'm adding a 4th for my 11yo son.

Even though we're struggling in this still crappy economy, I try to believe that good things happen to good people. I always instill in my boys to do the right thing and I did.

Thanks for all the comments, and all the tips and help here in the forum.

Happy Holidays!!
    Thanks to you, I have faith in humanity again.

Sent from the cockpit of Gurren Lagann
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Update- It's been over a week since I called them and was told they would be sending out a return shipping label to me. I still havent received it!!

I just dont think they have their heads on straight!!!

ROM
    AOKP

It could be because of all of the shipping they've been having to do for the past week and a half due to all of their sales.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    73 Global Posts

Lol id personally never think about returning it. Id be happy they f'd up and flip the phones on ebay

ROM
    OV Backside , MIUI 2.4.20

I would try to send them back as a sign of good faith. VM & Amazon both tried to take care of your issue, in a way. Contact them back to see if they want them. If the answer is NO, then you're morally "in the clear"! After that, if you still have them, enjoy! Donate one to a veteran overseas or someone who's life can be improved by an "Upgrade" !