Root for 4.0.4?

Ryan Siegel

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
All the research I have done for rooting keeps referring to 1.8 or 2.2 and so on, is there a root for 4.0.4? Or am I living under a rock?

[EDIT] I'm on att non international version hox

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
4.0.4 is the android version (ICS) ... 2.20, 1.73, 1.85 are all firmware versions... Go to about in settings, then software, it'll be a longer number but it will start with 2.20 or otherwise

Ryan Siegel

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Ok so after doing a bunch more research it looks like CM10 still isn't 100% without jellybean actually launching... Does that sound right?

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Ok so after doing a bunch more research it looks like CM10 still isn't 100% without jellybean actually launching... Does that sound right?

That is correct, but I have used Nocturnal'd Dirty Rom and it is definitely the best jelly bean rom at this time... Got good battery life, and the dev updates frequently... Each rom that you look at/ flash onto your phone, will have one or two things that will possibly bother you, but overall Dirty Rom is the best that I've used.. I'd say its 98% stable... If you turn GPS off its 100% on his most recent update (2.2c)

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
what about camera use? Headphone jack? Etc.

Oh ya, that all works... I just recently flashed Team Venom Viper XL Rom... It's 4.04, stock sense with tweaks... 100% stable, best battery life out of any rom (went down 2% overnight).. Has sense camera 4.5 with tweaks... I'm loving this rom... But as far as stock android, dirty rom is great-- has jelly bean 4.2 camera (photosphere)

Ryan Siegel

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Awesome so if I have the att hox on 2.20 where do I go and get what for what you recommend as the most stable.. Do I go dirty rom for stock Android or do I go team venom xl rom stock sense with tweaks? I don't even know what most of that means...

CM10 +???

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Awesome so if I have the att hox on 2.20 where do I go and get what for what you recommend as the most stable.. Do I go dirty rom for stock Android or do I go team venom xl rom stock sense with tweaks? I don't even know what most of that means...

CM10 +???

Dirty Rom is cm10 based, and the dev just updated it, no more GPS issues for now... Check out the link in my second post in this thread, it has everything you need to unlock, root, and Rom.

Look through the Rom section, read up on the ones that look good to you

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
AOSP based roms do not have hardware VSYNC enabled yet, which is the largest component of Project Butter, which is the most wanted feature from JellyBean :). There are other performance tweaks however that are enabled, and there is a pretty noticeable performance edge to AOSP vs Sense already. There are issues still cropping up and disappearing and then coming back though, as the developer tries to get all this new code working on a device that he has no real drivers for. There has been a rough patch this last month with bugs though, from screeches on recorded video, to Nav crashing, to GPS not working, etc. It is very random though. Not everyone sees the problems. Best to try it out and see. Sounds like today's nightly got rid of the video screech, which is a plus!

I would start at CM 10 for a baseline on the AOSP side, but they are based off the same codebase, so any will suffice for comparison. I am running on Viper XL for the last few weeks. It also has quirks, but it has the CM toggles in the notification, BT audio works in my car, and it runs as good as any Sense I have seen. There are almost too many options though- I nearly gave up on it at first as being too much (All the Venom tweaks, Venom Hub, and settings mods. Lots of stuff there). I used to use the old CleanROM dev as my Sense ROM, but Viper is that spot now. I am still watching the changelogs on CM and test once a week or so to see if my particular gripes are better.

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
wow thank you for the insight guys... Maybe I will get brave enough to try this this weekend or something...

Once you start flashing, you'll become addicted haha.. I stayed with my first rom for 3 weeks... Then hopped around til I got to ViperXL... But I'm a fan of sense (as long as some of the features/layout are removed)

dankbiz

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm trying to root my TMobile galaxy s2. I'm not sure where to go from here. I clicked the link but couldn't find anything relevant. What info do I need, and what rom or whatever do I need?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Why not just use SuperSU's version of RootDebugFS? It was designed for the SIII (and even worked on my Stellar) and you don't need to flash roms. And if you want to go to jb, you can hide root with something like OTA Rootkeeper, and no need to flash a custom Rom.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Android Central Forums

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm trying to root my TMobile galaxy s2. I'm not sure where to go from here. I clicked the link but couldn't find anything relevant. What info do I need, and what rom or whatever do I need?

I would start by posting or searching in a relevant forum for your device... go over to xda and search under your device and look for an all in one toolkit... it'll make it easy for Ya

Mikey Crawford

Apr 12, 2013
Visit site
I have an HTC one vx 4.0 not unlocked so how can I root my android without nandlock
Or bootloader and what app do I need to download, thanks.

HTC one universe