Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 13 of 13
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By atomic_squid
  • 1 Post By loraque
  • 1 Post By Bizzle69
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    atomic_squid's Avatar

    Posts
    129 Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.1 and AOKP 4.2 RP

    Default Welp guys, I dun goofed.

    So I tried to flash AOKP onto my phone. I attempted this via the full .zip file, and now my phone has no OS, or so TWRP tells me as it resists doing basically everything. What do I do, I really want to be able to use my phone.


    EDIT: AAAAAAND SUCCESS! I am now running AOKP 4.1. Thank you to all who provided suggestions, you're all lifesavers.
    Last edited by atomic_squid; 12-08-2012 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Victory!
    Bizzle69 likes this.
  2. #2  
    Bizzle69's Avatar

    Posts
    670 Posts
    ROM
    ViperXL/Dirty Rom

    Default Re: Welp guys, I dun goofed.

    Did you flash via fastboot through the pc and then go back into TWRP and flash it again (both must be done in that order for 2.20).

    EDIT: once you have a rom flashed, make sure you make a back up at some point in TWRP, just for safe keeping... And once in that rom, if you ever want to flash a different rom, you can use Flash GUI app to flash the new rom, then go into TWRP, do a factory reset then flash that new rom in TWRP (this is the only other option to flash without connecting to the pc)
    Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4
    Rooted, HyperDrive Rom

    If I helped you out, hit the thanks button on this post!
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    atomic_squid's Avatar

    Posts
    129 Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.1 and AOKP 4.2 RP

    Default Re: Welp guys, I dun goofed.

  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    atomic_squid's Avatar

    Posts
    129 Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.1 and AOKP 4.2 RP

    Default Re: Welp guys, I dun goofed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bizzle69 View Post
    Did you flash via fastboot through the pc and then go back into TWRP and flash it again (both must be done in that order for 2.20).

    EDIT: once you have a rom flashed, make sure you make a back up at some point in TWRP, just for safe keeping... And once in that rom, if you ever want to flash a different rom, you can use Flash GUI app to flash the new rom, then go into TWRP, do a factory reset then flash that new rom in TWRP (this is the only other option to flash without connecting to the pc)
    How do I flash through TWRP? This is a new process to me.
  5. #5  
    Bizzle69's Avatar

    Posts
    670 Posts
    ROM
    ViperXL/Dirty Rom

    Default Re: Welp guys, I dun goofed.

    First, make a back up of your stock rom by hitting the back up button (if you still have it)
    Then select "Wipe", do a factory reset
    Next reboot to bootloader, and connect to pc

    Using cmd prompt, "fastboot boot boot.img" (make sure the boot img from your selected rom is in that ADB folder), after it gets done with that (which will be relatively quick) reboot into recovery.

    Now go to install, select the rom.zip that is on your phone, and flash it... Reboot, and it should boot up into your new rom. (This first boot may take some time, so be patient and just wait-- had one take over 5 minutes one time)

    Now if you haven't put the rom.zip on your phone yet, you should still be able to open up your phone on your PC like it is a jump drive, just drag and drop (if you can't see your phone as an available storage device on your PC, reboot to the bootloader and see if it is in fastboot -- it should say toward the top of the screen, then turn fastboot off by selecting one of the choices [use volume buttons to go up and down on the menu and power button to selext]). It might be that it needs to be IN fastboot to see it as a storage device, I can't remember, but just turn it off or on until you can access it
    Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4
    Rooted, HyperDrive Rom

    If I helped you out, hit the thanks button on this post!
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    atomic_squid's Avatar

    Posts
    129 Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.1 and AOKP 4.2 RP

    Default Re: Welp guys, I dun goofed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bizzle69 View Post
    First, make a back up of your stock rom by hitting the back up button (if you still have it)
    Then select "Wipe", do a factory reset
    Next reboot to bootloader, and connect to pc

    Using cmd prompt, "fastboot boot boot.img" (make sure the boot img from your selected rom is in that ADB folder), after it gets done with that (which will be relatively quick) reboot into recovery.

    Now go to install, select the rom.zip that is on your phone, and flash it... Reboot, and it should boot up into your new rom. (This first boot may take some time, so be patient and just wait-- had one take over 5 minutes one time)

    Now if you haven't put the rom.zip on your phone yet, you should still be able to open up your phone on your PC like it is a jump drive, just drag and drop (if you can't see your phone as an available storage device on your PC, reboot to the bootloader and see if it is in fastboot -- it should say toward the top of the screen, then turn fastboot off by selecting one of the choices [use volume buttons to go up and down on the menu and power button to selext]). It might be that it needs to be IN fastboot to see it as a storage device, I can't remember, but just turn it off or on until you can access it
    I'm having no success with a storage drive. Is there a command or something I can use instead?
  7. #7  
    Bizzle69's Avatar

    Posts
    670 Posts
    ROM
    ViperXL/Dirty Rom

    Default Re: Welp guys, I dun goofed.

    Try and keep messing with it... I was in the same position and was able to do it, just can't remember how
    Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4
    Rooted, HyperDrive Rom

    If I helped you out, hit the thanks button on this post!
  8. #8  
    Bizzle69's Avatar

    Posts
    670 Posts
    ROM
    ViperXL/Dirty Rom

    Default Re: Welp guys, I dun goofed.

    If you can't figure it out, I would suggest that you try the toolkit... [TOOL] HTC One X (Evita) All-In-One Toolkit V1.1 [10-28-12] [PERM ROOT][Noob-Proof] - xda-developers

    NOTE: the "kernel" section is where you place your ROM
    Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4
    Rooted, HyperDrive Rom

    If I helped you out, hit the thanks button on this post!
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  
    atomic_squid's Avatar

    Posts
    129 Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.1 and AOKP 4.2 RP

    Default Re: Welp guys, I dun goofed.

    OH. Crap. I flashed it to the "system" partition.
  10. #10  
    Bizzle69's Avatar

    Posts
    670 Posts
    ROM
    ViperXL/Dirty Rom

    Default Re: Welp guys, I dun goofed.

    Flashed what to the system partition? TWRP or the rom... Rom is suppose to be flashed to system partition... The zip file needs to be on the sd card however...
    Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4
    Rooted, HyperDrive Rom

    If I helped you out, hit the thanks button on this post!
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  
    atomic_squid's Avatar

    Posts
    129 Posts
    ROM
    CM 10.1 and AOKP 4.2 RP

    Default Re: Welp guys, I dun goofed.

    Quote Originally Posted by Bizzle69 View Post
    Flashed what to the system partition? TWRP or the rom... Rom is suppose to be flashed to system partition... The zip file needs to be on the sd card however...
    I flashed the ROM itself to System, not realizing I had to flash it to kernel. What should I do?
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Welp guys, I dun goofed.

    If you have TWRP installed, you should be only two steps from flashing a ROM. You need to get the ROM zip onto your phone somehow- the easiest is to mount USB storage from within TWRP. If your computer cannot see your phone, try and install the drivers from the link posted about the all in one toolkit. If the ROM zip is on your phone, and you are a newer build (Hboot 1.14), you also need to push the boot.img from the ROM you are trying to flash via fastboot. I am fuzzy on that step since I do not need to do it with my older HBOOT. That should be all it takes. I would also WIPE cache and dalvik cache in TWRP when you flash the ROM, and you should be good. The only real prerequisite that matters, is having a custom Recovery installed. If you can get to that, you can fix whatever is wrong.
    Thanked by:
    Bizzle69 likes this.
  13. #13  
    Bizzle69's Avatar

    Posts
    670 Posts
    ROM
    ViperXL/Dirty Rom

    Default Re: Welp guys, I dun goofed.

    Quote Originally Posted by loraque View Post
    If you have TWRP installed, you should be only two steps from flashing a ROM. You need to get the ROM zip onto your phone somehow- the easiest is to mount USB storage from within TWRP. If your computer cannot see your phone, try and install the drivers from the link posted about the all in one toolkit. If the ROM zip is on your phone, and you are a newer build (Hboot 1.14), you also need to push the boot.img from the ROM you are trying to flash via fastboot. I am fuzzy on that step since I do not need to do it with my older HBOOT. That should be all it takes. I would also WIPE cache and dalvik cache in TWRP when you flash the ROM, and you should be good. The only real prerequisite that matters, is having a custom Recovery installed. If you can get to that, you can fix whatever is wrong.
    @atomic_squid
    You can get your phone to pop up on your PC by going to "mount" in TWRP and select USB
    Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4
    Rooted, HyperDrive Rom

    If I helped you out, hit the thanks button on this post!
    Thanked by:
    atomic_squid likes this.

Similar Threads

  1. Hey Guys, I am new.
    By LuisT in forum Introductions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-11-2011, 12:56 PM
  2. New guy here...
    By He123321 in forum Introductions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 12-31-2009, 01:36 PM
  3. New guys thoughts on myTouch vs. BlackBerry
    By robmille in forum BlackBerry
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-28-2009, 09:38 PM
  4. New Guy
    By Quis89 in forum Introductions
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-17-2009, 01:50 PM
  5. New Guy Here
    By barnettj in forum Introductions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-10-2009, 02:53 PM

Posting Permissions