Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #26  

Global Posts
    693 Global Posts
    ROM
    ViperXL

Default Re: Thinking About Rooting...

im stock rooted; so i dont know what you mean by restore; to me it sounds like do a factory reset and re-root?

ROM
    ViperXL/Dirty Rom

Oh... Hmm, that's odd. As soon as I rooted, I flashed a different rom... I'd say flash viper.. I'm on 3.0 JB and I love it, no tweaks at all/stock... Much better battery life as well.
    Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4
    Rooted, HyperDrive Rom

If I helped you out, hit the thanks button on this post!
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #28  

Global Posts
    693 Global Posts
    ROM
    ViperXL

ok ill do that; still confused on how to do this; you have been really helpful so far and i appreciate it; im going to make a back up of my current system now via twrp; can you tell me how to install 3.0 please

ROM
    ViperXL/Dirty Rom

After you make the back up, reboot. Once booted up, download flash GUI app if you haven't already.

Open flash GUI select the rom.zip, let the app load it to a temp directory (it'll have a dialog saying 30-45 seconds) it may take a little longer, just be patient. Once it is done doing that, hit the flash button at the bottom of screen. After it is done flashing it, select the middle option of the pop up > "reboot to recovery"

Once in recovery select "Wipe" then factory reset, once that is done DO NOT REBOOT, back out to main screen of TWRP, select "Install" then select viper 3.0, and start the install.... Viper uses Aroma installer, which is excellent... When going through the installer select Wipe even though you already did this in TWRP, and select the default stuff; North America, etc... Don't delete any sense stuff and it should be all good... First boot will take some time, don't worry, it'll boot... If not just do these steps over again.
    Rooted, HyperDrive Rom

Thanked by:
    RawisTheGameHhH likes this.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #30  

Global Posts
    693 Global Posts
    ROM
    ViperXL

Quote Originally Posted by Bizzle69 View Post
    After you make the back up, reboot. Once booted up, download flash GUI app if you haven't already.

Open flash GUI select the rom.zip, let the app load it to a temp directory (it'll have a dialog saying 30-45 seconds) it may take a little longer, just be patient. Once it is done doing that, hit the flash button at the bottom of screen. After it is done flashing it, select the middle option of the pop up > "reboot to recovery"

Once in recovery select "Wipe" then factory reset, once that is done DO NOT REBOOT, back out to main screen of TWRP, select "Install" then select viper 3.0, and start the install.... Viper uses Aroma installer, which is excellent... When going through the installer select Wipe even though you already did this in TWRP, and select the default stuff; North America, etc... Don't delete any sense stuff and it should be all good... First boot will take some time, don't worry, it'll boot... If not just do these steps over again.
    when i make a back up do i select only the defaults or check recovery, cache and/or .android_secure?

ROM
    ViperXL/Dirty Rom

Defaults
    Rooted, HyperDrive Rom

7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #32  

Global Posts
    693 Global Posts
    ROM
    ViperXL

when i open flash gui im getting a warning about internal memory unlock confirmation; do i need to do something else or just say yes?

ROM
    ViperXL/Dirty Rom

Just say yes, it's making sure you unlocked your bootloader
    Rooted, HyperDrive Rom

Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #34  

Global Posts
    693 Global Posts
    ROM
    ViperXL

just an update; i havent done anything yet which i think you know cause i believed you replied to me over at XDA

ROM
    ViperXL/Dirty Rom

Yep, saw that.. Ill be around both forums if ya need anything
    Rooted, HyperDrive Rom

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #36  

Global Posts
    693 Global Posts
    ROM
    ViperXL

i really want to load it up; but would rather wait for the tweaks to be included because with my luck i'd load it up today and 4.1 would be released tomorrow with the tweaks and id have to set my phone up again with all the apps and stuff

ROM
    ViperXL/Dirty Rom

No one is even testing 3.1 yet for ViperXL. Which means it could be a couple weeks, or maybe a couple days depending on if everything is working right away and testing starts soon. I don't blame ya for waiting.

I just flashed back to dirty rom, ViperXL 3.0 is awesome but I'm a flashaholic haha
    Rooted, HyperDrive Rom

Turge will almost certainly either wait for the ATT release to build from, or will start all over once he gets his hands on it. I don't see him investing too much time into an Asian leak for our phone once the real deal drops. And further, even though Turge does the updates nicely (like usual), if he does build from a new base, that will probably be full wipe time. Just guessing of course. The only issue I have had so far is the Navigation crash problem, which might very well be the phone wanting to start things out in Asia and getting confused.

ROM
    ViperXL/Dirty Rom

I don't have the navigation problem.. Maybe a fresh install would fix it? As far as waiting for the att release, it's the same exact source so that wouldn't matter. He is trying to get people to test his next update right now.

Ya, the next update will def be a full wipe
    Rooted, HyperDrive Rom

15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #40  

Global Posts
    693 Global Posts
    ROM
    ViperXL

a couple of questions please; first i get about a day and a half out of a single charge; do you think 2.4 will be the same? i keep reading the 3.0 has improved battery life; but not sure what that really means since each user is different. do you use an app to back up all of your apps/data such as titanium back up or do you recommend something else to restore all your apps? lastly; does the sdcard folder always remain on your phone; even after a wipe or is that data lost as well? thanks!

ROM
    ViperXL/Dirty Rom

Ya.. I got great battery life out of 2.4, and somehow got about the same on 3.0 (with no tweaks! But I used the new power saver option in sense).

I use titanium backup every time... Just make sure you don't back up "system settings" seeing as each rom will most likely have different things going on in /system; I just back up "apps w/ data".

Everything on your sd card will be safe when flashing new roms/factory resetting/installing. Now I would still advise copying most of your folders/files onto the PC just in case you corrupt your sd card and lose everything (you can always format it if this happens and start over)
    I only mention this because I did this one time and freaked out haha

^^that happened because I kept rebooting the phone while it was trying to boot up into a rom (got impatient and kept reinstalling, and interrupting the boot up)
    Rooted, HyperDrive Rom

Thanked by:
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #42  

Global Posts
    693 Global Posts
    ROM
    ViperXL

I use titanium backup every time... Just make sure you don't back up "system settings" seeing as each rom will most likely have different things going on in /system; I just back up "apps w/ data".
    is it just batch backup then backup all user apps? if so will that capture all the settings and such from those apps?

ROM
    ViperXL/Dirty Rom

Right when you open titanium back up, hit the clipboard icon on the top right of the screen, then look for "back up all user apps"
    Rooted, HyperDrive Rom

Thanked by:
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #44  

Global Posts
    693 Global Posts
    ROM
    ViperXL

do you think 3.1 of viper will release soon; i think ill wait for that version

ROM
    ViperXL/Dirty Rom

I'm guessing within the next few weeks. I've been running JellyBam for a couple weeks now, this rom is BA! Best hybrid rom yet.
    Rooted, HyperDrive Rom

21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #46  

Global Posts
    693 Global Posts
    ROM
    ViperXL

I'm guessing within the next few weeks. I've been running JellyBam for a couple weeks now, this rom is BA! Best hybrid rom yet.
    or it dropped today!!! same install directions that you provided earlier with the boot.img via flash gui?

ROM
    ViperXL/Dirty Rom

Yep, flashed it myself the same way about 10 minutes after he posted it haha
    Rooted, HyperDrive Rom

ROM
    ViperXL/Dirty Rom

Make sure you come here with any questions first... LOSTS of new people over on his thread asking the same questions haha
    Rooted, HyperDrive Rom

24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #49  

Global Posts
    693 Global Posts
    ROM
    ViperXL

Make sure you come here with any questions first... LOSTS of new people over on his thread asking the same questions haha
    thanks; how do you like it? i am thinking of loading it up soon; did you have to flash the super user fix and wifi fix as well?

ROM
    ViperXL/Dirty Rom

Quote Originally Posted by RawisTheGameHhH View Post
    thanks; how do you like it? i am thinking of loading it up soon; did you have to flash the super user fix and wifi fix as well?
    Nope, just flashed the rom by itself and everything seems to be good. If you end up having any issues, just wipe and reinstall. I went back to JellyBam cause I'm loving the tablet and phablet UI too much haha (although I am running a sense theme on it). Ill be back on viper as soon as they implement scrolling wallpaper (htc took this out for some stupid reason) and the increased grid size for home screen. Battery life on viper 3.1 is flat out crazy good (as usual for viper) and there are tons of tweaks. If you end up flashing it, you'll be playing with your phone for a few hours, it's great!

In fact, I think I may flash back and toy around with it again haha
    Rooted, HyperDrive Rom

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast