Thinking About Rooting...

tcm1969

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Ahh - that was my next question. How do you "reboot to bootloader"?
reboot to bootloader... if it says "unlocked" then you're good. Now flash TWRP through the all in one toolkit.

And yes, when you flash viper, it is VERY stock sense looking (if you want stock android, durring the installer, select Senseless)... but you can always mess with what you like in tweaks and personalize

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
keep it plugged in, and send the command from the toolkit, should be at the bottom "reboot to bootloader" --- "with this command"

otherwise, just hold power button down and volume down Down until the screen turns off, but continue holding volume down DOWN until the menu comes up

tcm1969

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
keep it plugged in, and send the command from the toolkit, should be at the bottom "reboot to bootloader" --- "with this command"

otherwise, just hold power button down and volume down Down until the screen turns off, but continue holding volume down DOWN until the menu comes up

Bingo! Now, I have to run and won't be able to flash recovery until later on tonight (holy crap, I have to get Swiftkey Flow back on this thing!). Once that's done, how do I use flash GUI? I downloaded it. How do I get Viper 3.2 into the app and on to the phone? Thanks again!

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

RawisTheGameHhH

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
Bingo! Now, I have to run and won't be able to flash recovery until later on tonight (holy crap, I have to get Swiftkey Flow back on this thing!). Once that's done, how do I use flash GUI? I downloaded it. How do I get Viper 3.2 into the app and on to the phone? Thanks again!

i believe you just point flash gui at the rom.zip; is that correct bizzle or do you need to extract the boot.img from the rom.zip and place it on your sdcard?

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Go to the XDA forum for Team Venom's ViperXL 3.2, scroll till you see the download link.. download it (it will be located in "Downloads" folder).

BEFORE FLASHING ANYTHING, IT IS ALWAYS SUGGESTED THAT YOU MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR CURRENT ROM/STOCK (although you can always find the stock Ruu on htc's website or on the forums)

FOR VIPER XL, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO FLASH BOOT.IMG, BUT IT DOESN'T HURT TO DO IT "JUST IN CASE"... some people have reported it didn't flash without it. (Worked great for me, without flashing boot.img before install)

But for all other roms:

THE FIRST TIME YOU OPEN THE FLASH GUI APP UP IT WILL WARN YOU ABOUT NEEDING AN UNLOCKED DEVICE, JUST HIT "OK"

Open up Flash Img GUI app > browse> downloads> rom.zip> It will pop up a dialog warning you that the file size is larger than a kernel, and ask you if it is a rom... select yes

It will preload the rom temporarily into system files (might take a minute or two)> another dialog will come up (i think) just hit "OK", then hit the "Flash Image" button at the bottom... once this is done, it will tell you that you need to reboot. It will give you 3 options, select the middle one "Reboot to Recovery"... Once you get to recovery select Wipe>Factory reset. After the Factory Reset is done, back out to the main menu of TWRP and select Install> browse to "downloads" and select rom.zip and flash

Once it is done, select "clear cache" (most roms do this already durring the installation) then reboot system. First boot may take longer than usual (had one take a full 10 minutes one time) and it is possible that it will "Bootloop" once, but then it'll boot into the new rom. Yay! time to have fun haha

tcm1969

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Go to the XDA forum for Team Venom's ViperXL 3.2, scroll till you see the download link.. download it (it will be located in "Downloads" folder).

BEFORE FLASHING ANYTHING, IT IS ALWAYS SUGGESTED THAT YOU MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR CURRENT ROM/STOCK (although you can always find the stock Ruu on htc's website or on the forums)

FOR VIPER XL, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO FLASH BOOT.IMG, BUT IT DOESN'T HURT TO DO IT "JUST IN CASE"... some people have reported it didn't flash without it. (Worked great for me, without flashing boot.img before install)

But for all other roms:

THE FIRST TIME YOU OPEN THE FLASH GUI APP UP IT WILL WARN YOU ABOUT NEEDING AN UNLOCKED DEVICE, JUST HIT "OK"

Open up Flash Img GUI app > browse> downloads> rom.zip> It will pop up a dialog warning you that the file size is larger than a kernel, and ask you if it is a rom... select yes

It will preload the rom temporarily into system files (might take a minute or two)> another dialog will come up (i think) just hit "OK", then hit the "Flash Image" button at the bottom... once this is done, it will tell you that you need to reboot. It will give you 3 options, select the middle one "Reboot to Recovery"... Once you get to recovery select Wipe>Factory reset. After the Factory Reset is done, back out to the main menu of TWRP and select Install> browse to "downloads" and select rom.zip and flash

Once it is done, select "clear cache" (most roms do this already durring the installation) then reboot system. First boot may take longer than usual (had one take a full 10 minutes one time) and it is possible that it will "Bootloop" once, but then it'll boot into the new rom. Yay! time to have fun haha

So, for viper xl I just download, then find it in GUI and flash? Or do I follow some of the "for other roms" info you had listed?

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
It won't hurt to flash it in the GUI app, but you don't have to... just go to TWRP recovery and install it.. upon installing it, an installer GUI called Aroma will give you options.. make sure you select to Wipe durring in the aroma installer

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
If you ever get yourself in a pickle (flashing some random Rom without flashing to boot.img) and you are installing the rom in TWRP, once it is done, reboot to bootloader and use the toolkit to flash boot.img to phone, then it'll boot up.

note: it would be a good idea to always download your roms on pc, then transfer them to the phone (Just so you have a backup incase you need to do this method of flashing boot.img after the install)

tcm1969

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
It won't hurt to flash it in the GUI app, but you don't have to... just go to TWRP recovery and install it.. upon installing it, an installer GUI called Aroma will give you options.. make sure you select to Wipe durring in the aroma installer

Done and running ViperXL 3.2!
I have a couple of questions,
1) in bootloader right above UNLOCKED it says in grey TAMPERED. What does that mean and is it ok?
2) I installed through TWRP on the phone. Somewhere within the Venom set up it gave me a "wipe" option. I did that because I had heard that you have to. Never during set up did I get a clear cache and dev cache. I've heard that that was a must (though not on this rom specifically). I see those in Venom menus now. Should I wipe them? What are they and what do they do?

braxton355

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
I keep getting a 160 error on HTC dev. My boot version is 1.14 its honestly pissing me off and I can't seam to find how to fix the problem I promise I've looked. Thank you guys if you can help. And it said invalid MID what's that mean?

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Once the installation is over with it gives you three buttons, 'home' , "reboot system" and "clear cache"... don't worry about it, Viper does that durring the install, but you can always reboot to recovery, select "wipe" > cache .. then dev cache after that...

In Viper under tweaks, > advanced> there you can wipe cache as well... it'll make you reboot afterword.

Have fun with Viper, I'm in that forum as a tester, see ya around!

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Done and running ViperXL 3.2!
I have a couple of questions,
1) in bootloader right above UNLOCKED it says in grey TAMPERED. What does that mean and is it ok?
2) I installed through TWRP on the phone. Somewhere within the Venom set up it gave me a "wipe" option. I did that because I had heard that you have to. Never during set up did I get a clear cache and dev cache. I've heard that that was a must (though not on this rom specifically). I see those in Venom menus now. Should I wipe them? What are they and what do they do?

Oh, and TAMPERED is ok, just means you have rooted your phone

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Are you using the toolkit? I thought the most recent update for the toolkit made it do the ID Token by itself? I haven't used it since december, just curious (thought that's what it said in the changelog)

braxton355

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Are you using the toolkit? I thought the most recent update for the toolkit made it do the ID Token by itself? I haven't used it since december, just curious (thought that's what it said in the changelog)

I got the token id pasted like ten times submitted like 15 times.

turagy3e.jpg

Got this error every time :,( lol

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Close the browser for htcdev.com... now go back to it, and go through the process again (could be a refresh of the cookie that is halting something)... If that doesn't work, you are probably including too much on the token ... are you keeping in ">>>>>>>>ID TOKEN START<<<<<<<<<<" ?

tcm1969

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I got the token id pasted like ten times submitted like 15 times.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/03/turagy3e.jpg

Got this error every time :,( lol

In the toolkit when it gave me my token I did Right click, mark and highlighted the token, then control v (copy) and pasted it into a text doc on the desktop. Then in HTC Dev I copied it from the text doc to the spot on the HTC page. Clicked done and it worked.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non