Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By atomic_squid
  • 1 Post By MangoPowah
  • 2 Post By atomic_squid
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Best ROM?

Since AT&T is taking their sweet time pushing out Jelly Bean to the One X, I'm tempted to just root and load a custom ROM. Preferrably, I want one with the best battery life, but I'll settle for anything. What are your suggestions?

ROM
    ViperXL/Dirty Rom

Default Re: Best ROM?

If you are looking for a sense based rom, ViperXL 3.1 is sense JB with tweaks (i get amazing battery life out of this)

custom/AOSP/CM/AOKP/PA----- Jellybam 4.0 (4.1.2) is the best hybrid rom around. has cm10, aokp, and paranoidandroid settings, and gets great battery life. The stock kernel is great, but you can put rohans b7 kernel on it and it flys!

Nocturnal'd Dirty Rom is also a great, stable rom.. its cm10 with 4.2 elements (photosphere camera, etc). Good battery life on this one too, and rohans latest kernel also works.

Make sure you use the All in One Toolkit to unlock, install recovery, and flash your first rom. You most likely have hboot 1.14, which means you will need to fastboot flash each roms .img. Do some reading on all of this before you dive in. Once you are in a rom, or even if you stay stock and use Flash GUI app, you can use this app as a substitute for hooking up to pc to fastboot flash every time.

BUT LIKE I SAID, READ.... READ... THEN READ SOME MORE before making any moves. It is difficult to actually brick your phone, there are many ways out of "stuck at splash screen", "sd card corrupted", "wont boot into recovery"... you may see this happen at some point or another, just remember not to freak out, and look on the forums for help. Thats how I learned, the hard way haha.
    Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4
    Rooted, HyperDrive Rom

If I helped you out, hit the thanks button on this post!
    Thanked by:

ROM
    CM 10.1 and AOKP 4.2 RP

Battery life is hands-down the best with ViperXL. No contest. It's also similar to what you'd get from an official update, minus the bloatware that AT&T is second only to Verizon in. It's great. For a stock Android experience, you could go with the more popular ones like AOKP or CM, but I prefer JellyBam, as it fuses all the best of the major ROMs for this phone (Be warned though, the newest version that was released today doesn't work). Dirty ROM also is great, it has bits and pieces from 4.2, and it's very, VERY stable.
    Bizzle69 and MangoPowah like this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Bizzle69 View Post
    If you are looking for a sense based rom, ViperXL 3.1 is sense JB with tweaks (i get amazing battery life out of this)

custom/AOSP/CM/AOKP/PA----- Jellybam 4.0 (4.1.2) is the best hybrid rom around. has cm10, aokp, and paranoidandroid settings, and gets great battery life. The stock kernel is great, but you can put rohans b7 kernel on it and it flys!

Nocturnal'd Dirty Rom is also a great, stable rom.. its cm10 with 4.2 elements (photosphere camera, etc). Good battery life on this one too, and rohans latest kernel also works.

Make sure you use the All in One Toolkit to unlock, install recovery, and flash your first rom. You most likely have hboot 1.14, which means you will need to fastboot flash each roms .img. Do some reading on all of this before you dive in. Once you are in a rom, or even if you stay stock and use Flash GUI app, you can use this app as a substitute for hooking up to pc to fastboot flash every time.

BUT LIKE I SAID, READ.... READ... THEN READ SOME MORE before making any moves. It is difficult to actually brick your phone, there are many ways out of "stuck at splash screen", "sd card corrupted", "wont boot into recovery"... you may see this happen at some point or another, just remember not to freak out, and look on the forums for help. Thats how I learned, the hard way haha.
    Finally took the plunge and flashed ViperXL. I did freak out a couple of times due to quite a few of the aforementioned issues occurring, but all is well now. I'm gonna stay with this ROM for a while before I flash another one. :P

I must say though, my phone feels brand spanking new.
    Last edited by MangoPowah; 01-29-2013 at 01:14 AM.
    Bizzle69 likes this.

ROM
    ViperXL/Dirty Rom

Just wait, the new update for viper will be released soon..I'm running it now on the beta team... even smoother and more tweaks.

I've already said too much
    Rooted, HyperDrive Rom

6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Just wait, the new update for viper will be released soon..I'm running it now on the beta team... even smoother and more tweaks.

I've already said too much
    Can't wait!

Sent from my ViperXL 1X!

ROM
    CM 10.1 and AOKP 4.2 RP

What new stuff is in it?

Sent from my One X using Android Central Forums
    Optimus G Pro, running CarbonROM 4.3!

ROM
    ViperXL/Dirty Rom

Quote Originally Posted by atomic_squid View Post
    What new stuff is in it?

almost everything that people wanted/was missing... Lots of additional tweaks, its a lot smoother (hard to believe I know haha)... It'll be out soon
    Rooted, HyperDrive Rom

9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Anyone here use Jellybam 5.2 yet? I wanna be sure I can download that instead of 4.1...

AT&T HTC One X powered by ViperXL 3.1.0

ROM
    ViperXL/Dirty Rom

It flashes, but camera doesn't work, and headset for music didn't work.. 4.0 of that rom is solid though
    Rooted, HyperDrive Rom

Thanked by:

ROM
    CM 10.1 and AOKP 4.2 RP

To add on, 6.5 is working phenomenally.

Optimus G Pro, running CarbonROM 4.3!
    Bizzle69 and MangoPowah like this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by atomic_squid View Post
    To add on, 6.5 is working phenomenally.

It's pretty good, but battery life seems to have gotten a bit worse than 6.4, and there appears to be a memory leak. Had about a maximum of 120MB free of ram, even after clearing app switcher. On average I usually get around 300. Restored to ViperXL in the meantime until it's fixed.

Sent from the cockpit of Gurren Lagann

ROM
    ViperXL/Dirty Rom

Quote Originally Posted by MangoPowah View Post
    It's pretty good, but battery life seems to have gotten a bit worse than 6.4, and there appears to be a memory leak. Had about a maximum of 120MB free of ram, even after clearing app switcher. On average I usually get around 300. Restored to ViperXL in the meantime until it's fixed.

100mb free is more than enough though... The way android allocates the memory is way different than Windows os does
    Rooted, HyperDrive Rom

14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

100mb free is more than enough though... The way android allocates the memory is way different than Windows os does
    My phone was pretty laggy, though. It was a bit shocking actually, really unlike the butter smooth JellyBam I was so used to.

ROM
    ViperXL/Dirty Rom

Quote Originally Posted by MangoPowah View Post
    My phone was pretty laggy, though. It was a bit shocking actually, really unlike the butter smooth JellyBam I was so used to.

True.. I messed around with the settings to the memory and got it to run smoother, but I of course went back to viper... too many options haha

Sent from my Dirty RootBox Nexus 7
    Rooted, HyperDrive Rom

16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

True.. I messed around with the settings to the memory and got it to run smoother, but I of course went back to viper... too many options haha

Sent from my Dirty RootBox Nexus 7
    Yeah, man. No matter how many ROMs I flash, I always go back to viper. It's just soooo awesome.