Flashing AOKP milestone - gapps not working?

unopepito06

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Hi all. The time has come for my first ROM flashing help thread!

I have an AT&T one x, 2.20, hboot 1.14. I just rooted about a week ago, flashed Viper XL 3.2.1, but wanted to try vanilla Jelly Bean, so yesterday I tried flashing rohan's AOKP milestone 1.1 (JB 4.1.2)
( Goo.im Downloads - Browsing aokp )

I did everything as I should, flashed boot.img through fastboot, etc, but I was confused about which gapps package to use. I tried the two rohan has referenced in two different places, the one in the OP on xda which is gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip, and the other one he said to use later on in the thread, which is for CM10, gapps-jb-20121011-signed.zip.

I tried both, and neither is working. TWRP tells me they've flashed alright, but when I boot, I just have the play store. I've read up on Google Apps - RootzWiki and it looks like at least one of these should be compatible. Maybe I'm screwing something simple up here, like the milestone version, or my recovery or something. I mean, I assume I can do this with TWRP. Is this the right milestone to use? And when you install gapps, you can just flash the zip through TWRP right? Or do I have to do some kind of workaround for 2.20? Or maybe I just download them through the play store now? Definitely confused as this point...

I just want a (relatively stable) JB ROM. I'm fine with 4.1.1 or 4.1.2. Or if this ROM is no good, maybe you could suggest something? I thought about Jellybam, but I wanted to try simple vanilla JB without all kind of add-ons and options.

As a test, I just re-flashed a fresh version of Viper 3.2.1, and included gapps are working just fine.

unopepito06

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Ok, that sounds good. I was able to get Gmail and Google Talk to show up after a clean install (flash boot.img, then install the milestone, then install gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip), unfortunately that was all that showed up, and I had to go to Play and download all other Google apps. They work so far, but seems kinda hacked together (says the guy flashing custom roms, lol). And now that I've used it, I see there is a distinct lack of customization options, most important for me is re-assigning the capacitive buttons to what I want.

I'll go for Jellybam and report back how it goes. :)

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Ok, that sounds good. I was able to get Gmail and Google Talk to show up after a clean install (flash boot.img, then install the milestone, then install gapps-jb-20120726-signed.zip), unfortunately that was all that showed up, and I had to go to Play and download all other Google apps. They work so far, but seems kinda hacked together (says the guy flashing custom roms, lol). And now that I've used it, I see there is a distinct lack of customization options, most important for me is re-assigning the capacitive buttons to what I want.

I'll go for Jellybam and report back how it goes. :)

Dude, seriously, if I wasn't on the beta team I probably would have rocked Jellybam a little longer..love that rom. As it stands, I've been on viper for 3 weeks... I've never stayed on a rom this long haha.. it's just that good to me right now

unopepito06

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm, I installed Jellybam 4.1.0 stable, everything went well (I got a flashing white screen at first boot, a reboot solved it). However, again, the only google apps installed are Gmail, Google search, and Sound Search widget. No maps & nav, no youtube, no play music, movies and tv, none of that. Is that just how it goes now with the apps packages? I know things changed around with 4.2 apps and such. My One X was my first android device, and of course that comes with the full suite of Google apps, then I got a N7, same thing.

Y'know, I'm wondering if there's something messed up hanging around my /system directory or my sd card from another install that's preventing the gapps from installing correctly. I don't know, just a thought. Is there a safe way for me to wipe system and/or my sdcard, (after backup). I wouldn't want to wipe it and then not be able to re-flash.

Last edited:

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm, I installed Jellybam 4.1.0 stable, everything went well (I got a flashing white screen at first boot, a reboot solved it). However, again, the only google apps installed are Gmail, Google search, and Sound Search widget. No maps & nav, no youtube, no play music, movies and tv, none of that. Is that just how it goes now with the apps packages? I know things changed around with 4.2 apps and such. My One X was my first android device, and of course that comes with the full suite of Google apps, then I got a N7, same thing.

Y'know, I'm wondering if there's something messed up hanging around my /system directory or my sd card from another install that's preventing the gapps from installing correctly. I don't know, just a thought. Is there a safe way for me to wipe system and/or my sdcard, (after backup). I wouldn't want to wipe it and then not be able to re-flash.

You should be able to download the rest of the apps through the play store.

And also, back up your apps with titanium backup, so all you have to do is just restore on new Roms... that way the only app you have to download via the play store is titanium backup, then just restore.

Sent from my Dirty Rootbox Nexus 7

unopepito06

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Alright, great man! Got Jellybam installed, configured, got all the Google apps installed and working, been using for a couple days and so far it's awesome! I love vanilla android on this phone, and JB is crazy smooth. Thanks for all your help brother! :thumbsup:

Bizzle69

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Alright, great man! Got Jellybam installed, configured, got all the Google apps installed and working, been using for a couple days and so far it's awesome! I love vanilla android on this phone, and JB is crazy smooth. Thanks for all your help brother! :thumbsup:
No problem man.. I love that rom as well, best AOSP in my opinion.. if it had the Sense camera and the same battery life of viper XL, I'd never leave it... as soon as I get the hankering for it,I flash back to it though haha