Release date?

Sajan Parikh

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Just come to the consensus that the US pretty much gets phones last and by the time this is released, the next big thing will start to leak...the never ending cycle.

When will these people learn my impulse buy moment is only 4 weeks after announcement?

- Sent from my HTC eVo with Tapatalk

Yes, it sucks. I've been victim to this emotional torture for several phones now. If it's announced, and not released within a month or so, I lose excitement and just wait for the next thing because it was already announced...then that misses the 4 week window and so I wait for the next thing that was announced...

It's terrible buying a phone knowing that something new and majority of the time, better is coming out if you can just wait a few...more...weeks.

I hate this!

I need a new phone right now. I'm on AT&T. If I buy the GS II Skyrocket, I'll miss out on this phone which is immensely better by just a few WEEKS. So now I'm left knowing about this phone, having to wait, and stuck with my BlackBerry 9700 (which I love though).

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
My trick is to NOT buy the newest thing, but wait a few weeks until reviews are out, customer anecdotes are out, so that a device has been through the rigor of public use. It requires patience....

Sajan, you need a phone right now, why not ask your carrier for a loaner until the new One comes out. Or buy a used, unlocked phone locally. It's not impossible. You don't have to buy last fall's hot new phone because you can't wait 3-4 weeks for the next one

phonegeek#AC

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
You didn't miss anything. What he's saying is the international version come with 32GB, the US version, the one you're testing, comes with 16. By our estimates, AT&T neutered it and cut storage in half.

Sent from my HTC Vivid using Tapatalk

Agreed that the US version only comes with 16 but I disagree that it's an at&t driven issue. Most often those limitations are because of different radios required for US handsets to make them work with the multitude of freqs that are in use in the US. IMO our friends in Europe do a much better job at managing spectrum and it makes it easier for handset mfg's.

Phonegeek what are your thoughts on the weight and "feel" in the hand?

My only other experience with an HTC phone was with my Inspire 4G, which IMO was heavy in the hand as compared to my Samsung GS2 and Galaxy Nexus
Appreciate your insight

Thanks!
To be honest I love it. I am a die hard blackberry guy (as I am a transplant from the crackberry forums..) and I test almost every Blackberry we release and probably half the Android devices. This one is by far the best one I've seen yet. It feels good, its light weight but doesn't feel cheap. Battery life seems to be really good compared to most Android LTE devices I've tested lately. My only beef is that it doesn't have a MicroSD slot to be able to add more capacity to it...

I too tested the inspire and that thing is a brick compared to this...

Image1 is the inspire on the scale topping out at almost 6 oz
Image2 is the One X showing just a hair over 4.5 oz

Image3 shows the thickness difference between the inspire and one X which is significant.

Image4 is a picture I took with the one X that I thought was fairly decent quality...

htc2.jpg

htc1.jpg

htc4.jpg

htc5.jpg

Phonegeek, Are you still standing by your guess of mid-May release date for AT&T given the rumors of the chip manufacturing delay for the Qualcomm chip in the US version of the One X? Will AT&T release date be effected by it? Please let us know! Thanks!!!

From what I am hearing it appears we're still trending towards mid May. That doesn't mean that I won't come back in a week and say June, but the best information I have right now leads me to think mid May.

PG

sddfdds

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
The whole point of the S4 is that it has all the radios built in...so let's not just quickly let att off the hook for the 16gb deal

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
The whole point of the S4 is that it has all the radios built in...so let's not just quickly let att off the hook for the 16gb deal

Probably has to do with keeping the cost down. Not sure what the price difference would be for the S4 versus the Tegra 3, but maybe the memory was to offset the difference.

phonegeek#AC

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site

at&t doesn't develop devices. at&t will tell a mfg that devices should have certain features, but we don't tell mfg's that a device can only have a specific processor, or can't have more than X amount of memory. We'll look at specs for a device and if the specs are below what we think customers want we'll pass on the device but we've never told a mfg you need to put a slower processor or less memory in a device...

Yes the point of the S4 is that it has most (all) radios built in however if the mfg can't make it work with the OS and the carriers network efficiently then they either change the hardware or choose to not sell the device in that market.

PG

GarlsOne

May 22, 2010
Visit site
I notice that the phone being tested has the HTC logo on it versus the Att log shown at MWC. Seems odd.

Mid may is too long of wait considering they announced it in late February. What possible reason would there be to wait that long? Sprint is all ready scooping att's hype for this phone. It needs an early April release to cash in on the press.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
I notice that the phone being tested has the HTC logo on it versus the Att log shown at MWC. Seems odd.

Mid may is too long of wait considering they announced it in late February. What possible reason would there be to wait that long? Sprint is all ready scooping att's hype for this phone. It needs an early April release to cash in on the press.

The testing and certification process is notoriously long on US carriers. The international version will work when it's released, but AT&T won't be able to offer any support if you have issues. This is the case with any unlocked phone, though, so no surprises there.

phonegeek#AC

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site

Actually it's not that odd at all. Very few devices have all the logos on them when we get them for testing.

PG

ZeroRilix

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Hey phonegeek, I'm gonna be buying the unlocked version, which takes a microsim, and gotta ask about the sim card. Is it the regular size sim or is it a microsim?

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk

sddfdds

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
wow i didnt even notice that they changed the speaker grill until jerry pointed it out in the news post on the site, but changing something so inane is such an epic fcuking fail (just on principle) by att that i dont know what else to say, but it is clear to me at this point that the only way to go is international unlocked and use my upgrade on an iphone that i sell

Last edited:

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
wow i didnt even notice that they changed the speaker grill until jerry pointed it out in the news post on the site, but changing something so inane is such an epic ing fail (just on principle) by att that i dont know what else to say, but it is clear to me at this point that the only way to go is international unlocked and use my upgrade on an iphone that i sell

Htc would have dictated that change, not AT&T.

GarlsOne

May 22, 2010
Visit site
This phone also has wrong logo in addition to the odd grill. Probably an earlier version than the final version they showed at MWC. I am not so sure about this being legit. Could be, could be not.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Since when? Is it not the exact opposite, att dicated the change for some asinine reason? What reason would htc have for making 2 different shells?

What reason would att have to care about it? Att only cares about things that impact the customer experience, and the design of the earpiece isn't one of them . We know that for a fact. HTC would be the one to care about the finer points of the design.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

noxcuzzs

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi! I'm looking forward to buy the One X on launch but as a prospective customer(this would be my first HTC phone), I can't help but think about the X's Polycarbonate uni-body-For hardware troubleshooting, is there a way for the service personnel @ HTC to neatly pry it open for replacing affected/defective parts like the battery, MB or screen @ the local service center? If not, will HTC be replacing it with new or refurbished handsets? Also, what according to HTC is a refurbished handset? Is it same as Apple(defective parts replaced along with a new casing and a unique Serial No. to track refurbs)? Your views are much appreciated! Thanks a ton!!

Last edited:

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi! I'm looking forward to buy the One X on launch but as a prospective customer(this would be my first HTC phone), I can't help but think about the X's Polycarbonate uni-body-For hardware troubleshooting, is there a way for the service personnel @ HTC to neatly pry it open for replacing affected/defective parts like the battery, MB or screen @ the local service center? If not, will HTC be replacing it with new or refurbished handsets? Also, what according to HTC is a refurbished handset? Is it same as Apple(defective parts replaced along with a new casing and a unique Serial No. to track refurbs)? Your views are much appreciated! Thanks a ton!!

I'm sure they have a way to disassemble. Not sure we'll know the answers to your other questions until people start needing to get repairs/replacements.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk 2 Beta-4

phonegeek#AC

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Hey phonegeek, I'm gonna be buying the unlocked version, which takes a microsim, and gotta ask about the sim card. Is it the regular size sim or is it a microsim?

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk

My test unit has microsim and would expect it to be microsim.

I would imagine that there is a way for them get into it but I can't imaging it being easy.

As for the minor differences in the shell design that others have noted. Out units came out within days of the the announcement, these could have been a more recent shell design or an early shell design. Often times we'll get a hardware swap about halfway through testing. If we do then we'll see if it the design is the same.

PG

ChromeJob

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Geez people, it's a test unit, don't blowout yer diapers over logos and shell variances. Phonegeek's probably got an early production unit for field testing, NOT a sales sample.