MicroSIM card ... Who's doing their own cutting?

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Just realized that I'm gonna have to cut down my SIM card to get it to work ... Haven't done that before, actually.

Anyone have any experience? Recommended tools?

ZeroRilix

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
Why not go the easier route and get a microSim and microSim to Sim adapter? That is gonna be what I'm gonna do. Especially since AT&T now has 4g microsims available since the release of the ipad3.

Sent from my HTC Vivid using Tapatalk

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Why not go the easier route and get a microSim and microSim to Sim adapter? That is gonna be what I'm gonna do. Especially since AT&T now has 4g microsims available since the release of the ipad3.

Sent from my HTC Vivid using Tapatalk

Well, yeah. Guess I could just go get a SIM. Actually, that's what a lot of us will have to do for LTE, I guess.

Bye bye, grandfathered unlimited plan? :-/

stargazer418

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Don't the phones come with SIMs in the box, even when upgrading? I haven't ever used the one in the box, so I don't know if they come with your information already on them, but it could be a possibility.

JonJJon

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Sounds like the US is a little more annoying to get things done then here in the UK, if you want a new sim (in this case microSIM) all you have to do is ask for one to be sent, and if you are good at talking your way or have a nice operator, you can get it for free. And when it arrives you just pop it in and they will have given you a time for your current sim to deactivate and the new one activates. All your details are instantly associated with the new sim card and your original plan, regardless of whether they offer it to new customers now or not, will be on your new sim. I.e. long story short, you can get a new sim with everything as before her ein the UK so long as it is during your contract and not at the end of it.

Versed

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
Basically thats all you need to do here, walk into an AT&T Corporate Store and they will give you a new sim, micro sim or whatever and never been charged.

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Verizon sends you a microSIM in a small package, fresh ready for you to self activate over the internet. Its easy and takes a few seconds.

I have had to go into a Verizon store recently to get a new SIM for my Thunderbolt, and it was a pain. If all you need is a SIM and you haven't just upgraded, just have Verizon send you one overnight through the website. So much easier.

Reactions: Alma

I Monarch

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I am disappointed in you, Phil. Why are you posting this kind of stuff? Micro SIMs are free, and you never lose the unlimited data unless you remove it, or upgrade through some retailers.

kenji117

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
I have a one of those micro sim "hole punchers". They are pretty cheap and come with the adapters. I got mine on ebay for a like $5 maybe. Granted it would be easier to just go to the AT&T store and ask for one but, I feel cool punching holes in sim cards.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
wth is a microsim?

Look at your SIM card. See the actual metal chip looking part? That's the only part that matters. That's also the only part that exists in a micro SIM. In a regular SIM all the plastic surrounding it is just taking up space and doesn't actually do anything.

With phones packing more and more technology inside of them things like SIM cards tend to get in the way.

toonhead85

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Recommended tools?

Newegg.com - SIM Card Cutter w/ 4 Micro SIM Adapters Compatible With Apple? iPhone? 4 / iPad?

I found this after pre-ordering my Unlocked HTC One X from negrielectronics.com. And Phil, I could send it over to you once I'm done and you could try it out (because it's ever so expensive) HAHAHA!!!

As a side note: I only wonder if my 3g SIM that I got in my Nexus S (i9020a for AT&T) will work with HSPA+. I have read contradictions on the net and can't get a straight answer. I guess we shall see when my phone comes in, whenever it does ^^

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greenbelte15