Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Default Re: Why do you hate Sense?

I think it's over-developed. The animations are unnecessary and the lock screen can be a mess. They made a good step in trimming it back, but they need to trim it back even more.
    Slink
    Follow me on Twitter!

I dont hate sense. I just think stocm offers a better, smoother experienxe.

Its over developes too. Agreed. Does too much.

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts

Likes - graphical polish, innovative lock screens and widgets (more copied than ANY "skin") I know Phil is thinking how many times do I need to explain it is a framework
    Dislikes - Dialer. I know there is a simple fix.. install a new one. I am a creature of habit. I am a huge fan of starring my most frequent contacts. The ability to get to my starred contacts in contacts or dialer quickly was my BIGGEST pet peeve. The last problem is similar, contact management. I don't blame Sense for slow downs having been on enough ROMS that can do it right.

Global Posts
    366 Global Posts

The Dinc 2 is my first Android Smartphone and I haven't had any problems with (in fact, not even sure, except for the widgets and the launcher, what is Sense 2.1 vs. stock). Actually, my impression is that the huge amount of VZW unremovable bloatware is a bigger draw on the system than sense. And Phil, I think most people like to blame Sense for any number of ills without supporting their case. Finally, sometimes it can be things like animated wallpapers, transitions, one or two widgets (or more) that can be the drain/lag that some users of Sense get while others find the phone works quite well.

One thing that does suck is Twitter for HTC Sense. It eats up way too much battery and caused my Accounts & Sync settings page to force close repeatedly on this Rezound. I suppose that's a gripe with a particular app that comes with Sense -- still, it was a terrible experience.
    Palm Treo 650 > Treo 700p > BB Curve 8330 > DInc (r) > Rezound (r) > custom Moto X
    Transformer Pad Infinity (r CROMi-X)

Stock gingerbread was really very fast and smooth (I had a Nexus S 4G). Recently, I got a Galaxy Nexus and got my wife a Rezound because the specs seemed very impressive. I couldn't believe how much lag was present on that beast of a phone, and it was obviously due to sense. It has some nice features that add to the usability, but it has so much that is gaudy, ugly (IMO), and superfluous (3d animations). Features that build upon the OS are fine (ie. CM9), but sense tries to cover up Android in many ways and puts in its own design. I understand its better with 4.0 than in 3.5 (my only significant experience with it) but much of it still seems unnecessary and unattractive (again, IMO).

Global Posts
    462 Global Posts
    ROM
    Will be rooted

I do like sense and always have. I eventually would root all my phones and would try different roms without sense. They were great. I was using the vivid and after the sense 3.6 update I am very impressed with it again. I am looking forward to trying sense 4 and am happy to see the direction HTC is taking.

Sense is nothing but bloatware! Vanilla Core is a excellent replacement.
    Sent from my PG86100

Phone/Evo 3D cdma
    Rom/ViperS r284
    Hboot/eng 1.58
    Root Method/Htc Dev unlocked/Juopunutbear s-off
    Recovery/4-EXT

I actually LOVE sense. I have never had any issues with it. I actually have ICS and scense 3.6 on my HTC Sensation (rom of course) but I love it. I tried to use the "virgin" ICS for a week but i kept wanted some of the features of Sense. I am hoping a better ROM with some of the basics to be ready soon.. One of the main things is bluetooth and the 4.0 roms are there yet.

ROM
    HTC One (Verizon) Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
    false. i was crystal clear.
    Dude, Phil said your answer was bad....that means it WAS BAD. Sense may have had SOME of those issues but it's come a long way. You probably also think VW's are aircooled and have the trunk where the engine should be and vice versa...times have changed, Sense is a very nice overlay to what I'd call a somewhat under-polished UI.
    BigDinCA likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,980 Global Posts

I prefer Sense ofer any of the other skins...especially over MotoBlur.
    HES

Global Posts
    390 Global Posts

Hate sense? That is way too strong of a word for me. My first exposure to sense was on an old WinMo phone they had. There are elements to Sense that I do not like. The calendar is one of them. If I'm using the month view widget, I want to be able to dynamically switch between that and the agenda view. As for the calendar its self, being able to edit entries that have passed would be a great feature. For example, you have a recurring appointment, why not be able to go into to the one that just passed and adjust the date to the next occurrence. Instead I have to do that through Google Calender via the web browser. Next up, 4 columns of icons Vs. 5 on the home screen. Come on, let me pack em in. The dialer is very slow when entering a number. I would compare the speed of dialing to using a rotary phone. The dock in the current iteration on my phone does suck. I like the changes that are coming with 3.6 / 4.0. Finally, the black heave border around every interface. Tin it up and let me change the colors or transparency. Other than that I have not had one complaint with Sense on my Rezound.

Global Posts
    1,724 Global Posts

For a company that promotes customizing the experience for "you." sense is incredibly restricting.

Sense: battery draining/CPU eating flashy graphics and lots of unwanted background applications

I have the EVO 3D with sense 3.0 and actually its the quickest UI I've ever used or seen.

ROM
    AOKP

The only thing I hate about Sense 4.0 is how it looks. When compared to stock ICS I don't think it's as pretty. However, in previous versions of Android, I think it improved upon stock a little in terms of style. This is all personal preference of course.

I dont hate it...but there are some thing I dont like. Off the top of my head is some of the color schemes, trying to make pics wallpapers. Sometimes it seems like its a lil too busy, too much going on, too in your face. The phone book, contact list is one example.

I used to not like Amoled screens.....until I actually tried one. Now I like them over LCD's.

I do like the extras, eye candy Sense UI has. Hopefully if I keep my Rezound I will get a chance to try out Sense 4.

Reasons I hate Sense:

1) Slower updates, and compared to a Nexus handset, they'll stop coming after a year and a half
    2) The dock (in pre-ICS versions) sucked... hard to tap to open app drawer, and no quick browser button
    3) The inability (in pre-ICS versions) to change the grid size; 4x4 is unacceptable on a phone like the EVO
    4) So many features drained battery that took forever to turn off
    5) It handled your contacts different from standard, so if you link contact x and y, you'd only have those linked on HTC handsets going forward... move to Samsung and you start over
    6) I hate the colorful look; I prefer to theme my handset with a primary color and then keep the rest black/grey/white. I can't stand the rainbow coloring of Sense
    7) No widgets in the notification bar, though in fairness that was TW-only before ICS, and I hate TW too
    8) It's been awhile, but I recall the Twitter and Facebook integrations being hijacked from normal... so there was some Footprints app that you had to keep installed taking up space and battery life.
    9) Battery life sucked

And for those of you that would say to just change my launcher, in any pre-One X handset, that meant horrible performance because without rooting you couldn't remove the default HTC launcher.

Forgot about the dock...I definitely dont like that before 4.0.

Quote Originally Posted by jroc View Post
    Forgot about the dock...I definitely dont like that before 4.0.
    I should have put the dock #1. If none of the rest of those issues existed, the dock would be enough to push me over the edge. Seriously... why would the app drawer button be SO FREAKING SMALL!!! And I can long-press the home screen to do everything that the little "Edit" button does... how is that more important than the browser?

My experience with sense 1,2.x and 3 have pretty much soured my taste for it. I always felt it was heavier weight than it should be. So if I can get a phone without it, I do. I haven't tried Sense 4, but I can say that I'm not enthusiastic about Sense or HTC in general.

Also, since HTC saw fit to re-invent the wheel, its gonna take a while before we see JB on any of they devices they are releasing in the coming weeks/months.

Why fix what isn't broken?? Maybe times will change. We shall see.

I don't hate Sense, it's just not my cup of tea. I can use it but I'm more of a touchwiz/Samsung person.

ROM
    Stock Sense 4.1.1

It was slow. They tried doing to much. I remember sometimes my phone would ring and not show who called until like 15seconds. My battery would die 4-6 hrs (thunderbolt) and 7hrs on my dinc. Every version released was a disaster . Maybe sense 4.1 will have everything worked out.

ROM
    Stock 4.1.1 JB. (for Now)

I never hated it. but my Battery life is Much improved without it. But I do like the look of the Sense 4 lite ICS roms that are out now. Have to wait and see about Battery life though.

I wouldn't say "I hate Sense" but I would like for it to improve a whole lot more. The functions of Sense is beautiful (Stock Browser, Open Viewer) but it's too heavy of a files that lagging occurs, the battery drains due to all the bloatware (HTC Peep, FriendStream etc.) But my biggest problem with Sense its overall UI. It's so basic and bland that it looks like Amateur Hour at the Apollo. From the way the People app looks, to the phone dialer, to the navigation of settings, how the calender is set up, how the HTC native widgets are implented, it all looks so basic and minimal. I especially hated the Messaging app from how the conversation list looks to even how minimal the conversation text look. Also whenever you chose a wallpaper it would totally destroy that image's resolution and make it so dense that you would have clear icons in the fore front but this horrible cloud of color in the background. Sense functioned wonderfully after the frameworks cap was removed but their is still lag every now and then.

Oh and other than the digital clock, the animations are corny.

The good things I will say about the Sense is the improved lockscreen now in Sense 3.0+ and the Camera's UI but that's about it. Once again, I don't hate but it has the potential to do so much more.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast