Why no quad core?

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Pardon me if this question has been answered elsewhere.

Why is this phone incompatible in its quad core version with AT&T's 4G LTE network?

The rest of the world gets the quad core version and we are saddled with the dual core because of the incompatibility issue which is very disappointing. Does this mean AT&T won't have any quad core phones in the foreseeable future?

MrSlippery519

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
LTE on board is only available using the S4 at the moment...which in theory is going to make battery consumption much much better.

I believe I recall HTC saying once the Tegra 3 has on-board LTE which is coming they would likely release that version as well.

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
LTE on board is only available using the S4 at the moment...which in theory is going to make battery consumption much much better.

I believe I recall HTC saying once the Tegra 3 has on-board LTE which is coming they would likely release that version as well.

Yea LTE isnt compatible with the tegra 3 SoC yet. Like ^he said Nvidia is working on getting a Tegra 3 version with LTE and hopefully that version comes to Verizon! haha

The snapdragon S4 is freaking amaizng though. For being a dual core chip, it blows every other dual core out of the water right now, that is until the OMAP 5 comes out

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Pardon me if this question has been answered elsewhere.

Why is this phone incompatible in its quad core version with AT&T's 4G LTE network?

The rest of the world gets the quad core version and we are saddled with the dual core because of the incompatibility issue which is very disappointing. Does this mean AT&T won't have any quad core phones in the foreseeable future?

I wouldn't say we're "saddled" with the dual core. It looks to be a stellar performer based on what we've seen so far.

Speedygi

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
It does suck not to have the cutting edge though no matter how it sounds..but that's how it is for LTE and the different set of rules.

garrim85

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Does it really matter when the dual core we're "saddled with" trounces the cutting edge quad core?

This. Well, I wouldn't say "trounces" but it seems to be able to keep up and hold it's own compared to the Tegra3. That plus IIRC there aren't many apps out that even take advantage of the quad yet.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Only reason I wanted quad core is from what I've read the fifth core substantially reduces battery usage.

Isn't this the case?

I use my phone for business (calls & emails) and would like to be able to use it for 8 hours without recharging.

To those who took offense to "saddling" if the rest of the world gets quad core and we don't what would you call it?

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
This. Well, I wouldn't say "trounces" but it seems to be able to keep up and hold it's own compared to the Tegra3. That plus IIRC there aren't many apps out that even take advantage of the quad yet.

Trounces may be a bit much, but holding its own may not be enough. The benchmarks I've seen has the S4 beating the Tegra3

Only reason I wanted quad core is from what I've read the fifth core substantially reduces battery usage.

Isn't this the case?

I use my phone for business (calls & emails) and would like to be able to use it for 8 hours without recharging.

To those who took offense to "saddling" if the rest of the world gets quad core and we don't what would you call it?

If the quad core doesn't outperform the dual core, I would call getting stuck with the Tegra3 being saddled. From the looks of things, the S4 is the better option all around. Plus, if we want LTE its a moot point anyway

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site

Isn't this the case?

Get a Razr Maxx! Battery issues gone. Performance issues gone. Call quality is rock solid. Access to your computer via Motocast, amazing. Corporate email& lookup, done. Averaging 18 hrs on a single charge, Priceless!

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I am able to upgrade now through AT&T but my biggest concern is battery life. Since I use a case with a belt clip to carry my phone unfortunately using a larger battery is not an option. I am much more concerned with battery life than I am with performance benchmarks and if I am understanding what I have read the quad core chips with the fifth core are supposedly much better battery life than dual core chips. Is this not the case?

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I am able to upgrade now through AT&T but my biggest concern is battery life. Since I use a case with a belt clip to carry my phone unfortunately using a larger battery is not an option. I am much more concerned with battery life than I am with performance benchmarks and if I am understanding what I have read the quad core chips with the fifth core are supposedly much better battery life than dual core chips. Is this not the case?

I believe the architecture of the S4 plus the fact that LTE is on chip helps a lot. We'll see when the numbers cone out, but i don't think there is going to be too big a difference between the two. Plus, without a quad that can handle LTE, it really doesn't make much of a difference.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I think the rumored quad core Exynos is supposed to be LTE, compatible. I'm sure we'll hear something around the same time this phone releases.

mty msi

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to wait for quad core LTE compatible phones to be released. I'm guessing that's probably fourth quarter. Battery life is much more important to me than any other feature to the point that I'll use my 3G Captivate another six months to get a new phone that has substantially better battery life. I work in a mobile environment using the phone 100% for business related purposes and the constant charging is a real pain.

Will be interesting to see how the battery life is on Phil's quad core HTC One X.