Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree36Likes

Default Re: Removable batteries (generally speaking..)

Quote Originally Posted by mike340t View Post
    Personally I totally agree, I have always carried a spare for every phone I have ever owned and would NEVER buy a phone with a non-swappable battery.. Especially if you like the outdoors (like camping/hiking etc).. How is a non-swappable battery going to last me a week in the middle of no where with no power outlet? Last camping trip I went through four cell batteries...
    I would think a External battery would be vastly better in a camping situation than carrying around extra batteries. In fact a external battery sounds good for many issues raised in this thread.

Modern Lipo batteries are retain about 80 percent storage capacity at 1000 charges assumeing no pattern of abuse.

Charging everyday that is about 3 years. I love my Razr Maxx but if that big old battery dies after 3 years I wont care because I wont still have it. Really keep a android phone for more than 2 years?

Great topic for some very strong opinions. Here are some additional strong opinions of my own if you will kindly indulge me:
    1) To the “All day” iPhone user: That tiny 3.5” screen helps extend your battery life but this is Android Power User country (you're lurking in an Android forum?). Super AMOLED 4” to 5.3” screens. No, we don’t carry both an iPhone and an iPad. One good Android phone with a big screen (and a physical keyboard for some of us) takes care of business for us. I have friends/associates with iPhones that are tied to their chargers because they are power users that actually talk all day on their iPhone and have run down their built-in Apple battery so they are forced to carry those charging bricks on the road with them. By the way, Apple does want you to keep on buying new Apple iPhones every year to boost their stock price, thank you ; )
    2) To the “Portable Chargers are better than extra batteries” user: I have both and the portable chargers are a pain. They are heavy little bricks and clumsy to use when you are on the move and using your phone. Unless you like hanging a brick from your phone when you use it, I can’t possibly see how that is better than a fresh phone battery.
    3) To the “Turn off your phone Campers and enjoy the great outdoors” crowd: Some of us do some real adventure camping that requires 24 hour NOAA monitoring for tsunami, flash flood, storm, adverse weather, etc. and contact with other adventure buddies that may be out of line of sight/hearing. The beauty of an Android phone with replaceable batteries is that it can run GPS, NOAA weather band monitoring, Endomondo (GPS trail/elevation/performance/mapping & recording), flashlight, etc. and serve as an indispensible “All-in-One” adventure tool. It also provides backup to those traditional stand-alone devices because Murphy’s Law definitely applies for all forms of adventure travel. Extra phone batteries are much more compact (and cheaper!) than those charging bricks and unless you sit in your tent all day, only extra batteries are an option out in the wild when you are on the move.
    4) Finally, IMHO the current industry standard of battery quality control and technology just isn’t there yet for a built-in battery to last for the 2 year standard phone contract unless the phone is lightly used. I would argue that it isn’t even there yet for a 1 year contract for those power user road warriors. Yes, there are definite design efficiencies and advantages to a built-in battery but I think the key design advantage is for the phone sellers -- built-in obsolescence not unlike that of the replicants in the movie Blade Runner. Some people will be fine with a built-in battery but I am guessing that a good solid chunk of the market will find it unacceptable. Some people buying phones with a built-in battery are in for a very rude awakening long before their phone contract comes up for renewal. Let the class action suits begin…

P.S. To Mongo: ROTFLMAO. You would have to be Mongo to hold and use the HTC Thunderbolt as a phone with a powerskin.
    Thanked by 2:
    HES, Synycalwon and elfmandude like this.

This is for the camping outdoorsmen who can't live without the phone.

Very cool. I saw a blurb somewhere about this before but this is the first time I found the actual website. Definitely need to find a case that can withstand burning embers and find a long fire resistant USB cord ... This would be better than a solar setup since we're moving during the day and camping at night.

Maybe they'll make a etoncorp smartphone with a charging handcrank...

Global Posts
    3,145 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock on all

Quote Originally Posted by lens pirate View Post
    I would think a External battery would be vastly better in a camping situation than carrying around extra batteries. In fact a external battery sounds good for many issues raised in this thread.
    Get an external solar battery/charger with a microUSB interface and you could go the green route, and it's cool to walk around on long hikes and knowing you would never run out of battery. I love my Energizer one
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123