Taking a HTC One X from Taiwan to Canada

ryanxxx

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
I am quite impressed with the new HTC phone the One X and eager to buy one. I am here in Taiwan and can only buy the international quad-core phone (unlocked). However, I am moving back to Canada in a few short months and was wondering how I could use the phone over there. I know the canadian version has a different hardware specification (dual core instead of quad core processor) to make it compatible with their 4G (LTE) service. Will I still be able to use the 3G services of the Canadian providers?

Does anyone have experience of buying an Android phone in another country and using it in Canada? Any problems? compatibility issues? Should I buy another phone such as one of the Samsung models (e.g. the S3 when it eventually comes out)?

Thanks!

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Are you stuck on a certain Canadian carrier? If you're free to use whomever you want, GSM is GSM and it should work fine. (I'm using an unlocked Euro One X on AT&T here in the states.)

ryanxxx

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
No I am not stuck on any carrier. I just want to make sure I would at the very least be able to use the 3G service...I am just not clear about the differences between phones bought here in Taiwan and the ones in Canada. Do only some of them have different hardware specs...and what difference does that make if bought in Taiwan (unlocked) and used in Canada? For example is a Galaxy S2 exactly the same (in terms of its hardware) whereever you buy it?

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
So long as they have compatible radio freqs (and the phone is SIM unlocked -- which it likely is), you should be good to go.

If you end up having problems, fire off a new thread here ASAP and we'll getcha sorted out. :)

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
It will work on Rodgers, which shares AT&T bands. Probably a most Canadian GSM carriers, and most Carriers in Canada are GSM.

I have an east Asia version of the ONE X, (Taiwan Philippines Hong Kong) and it works fine on AT&T.

ryanxxx

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
When you say it works fine, do you mean the 3G service? and did you have to do anything special to get it going or was it ready to go? I take it the phone was unlocked to begin with...thanks!

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
When you say it works fine, do you mean the 3G service? and did you have to do anything special to get it going or was it ready to go? I take it the phone was unlocked to begin with...thanks!

When I say works fine, I mean that it works on At&Ts network, with the status bar saying "3G" some times and "H" at other times. (Not exactly sure why this is.)

Download / upload speeds seem in line with what I get on other equivalent phones (Atrix 2 4g) using speed test apps from the market.

I had to get a new sim, because it uses a different size. Yes, it was an unlocked phone, so I can go to any carrier that supports the frequencies the phone is capable of.

Here are the Bands used by the carriers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UMTS_frequency_bands#UMTS-FDD

This phone does not have the 1700, which means that on T-Mobile, and on Wind (Canada) you will only get EDGE, not 3G.

But on Telus or Rodgers you will get 3G.

Last edited:

steve31

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I have the one x international version on the Rogers network. No problems. Hspa 3G all work. The only thing you will have to do is enter the network apn and insert your sim. You can find the apn on line. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I have the one x international version on the Rogers network. No problems. Hspa 3G all work. The only thing you will have to do is enter the network apn and insert your sim. You can find the apn on line. Enjoy!

Unless Rogers doesn't know how to configure their sims properly, all you need to do is pop in the sim.
It will figure it all out by itself, you should NEVER have to mess with network APNs, The sim should tell it wher to find the APNs.

steve31

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Did not work that way when I put in my Sim. I had to enter the apn. Also had to do this with a international version of the htc sensation. Not sure why but I did. Its always been that way for me with HTC phones for some reason. I also have the gnexus and the gnote but I didn't have to enter the apn with them, just HTC for some strange reason.

Last edited: