Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 45
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Dropbox on the one x

    my question is i was planning to get the at&t one x but the 16b of storage 10gb of usable storage and 2gb of app and game storage is really making me think about not getting this phone i go through 2gb of space in a month sometimes so my post is on dropbox will we on the one x be able to store our games and apps on dropbox as 25gb of space is included? if not I'm waiting for the galaxy s3
  2. #2  
    Noble.Four's Avatar

    Posts
    319 Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

    Default

    No, you can't store apps in Dropbox. Personally 2GB is plenty of app storage for me...currently only using 1 on my GNex. You might be able to use A2SD, so apps could theoretically be stored on the 9 gig partition.

    With camera auto uploading to Dropbox, photos shouldn't take any space. Idk. Sixteen gigs is enough for me. But I agree... pretty dumb that they thought it was okay to have that sort of limit.

    Rabble rabble rabble.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Dropbox on the one x

    No apps, but great for docs and such. This is actually worth quite a bit of $ versus buying DB by yourself.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Dropbox on the one x

    So the 2GB of app storage is separate from the 10GB of usable storage?
  5. #5  
    Noble.Four's Avatar

    Posts
    319 Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CasinoK1D View Post
    So the 2GB of app storage is separate from the 10GB of usable storage?
    Yes indeed. There is 16 GB total space. 2GB for app storage, about 5GB for the system and its resources, and the remaining nine is pure storage, a virtual SD card of sorts.

    Rabble rabble rabble.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Dropbox on the one x

    Quote Originally Posted by Noble.Four View Post
    Yes indeed. There is 16 GB total space. 2GB for app storage, about 5GB for the system and its resources, and the remaining nine is pure storage, a virtual SD card of sorts.

    Rabble rabble rabble.
    Makes me nervous...I am currently using 18GB on my iPhone 4.
  7. #7  
    Noble.Four's Avatar

    Posts
    319 Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

    Default

    On what, though? Music? Photos? If you're on an iPhone I'd assume a lot of it is music. I'd suggest uploading your library to Google Music. There are plenty of cloud options available to keep physical storage use low.

    Rabble rabble rabble.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: Dropbox on the one x

    are there any cloud options for apps and games cause i have an 4s and i started with 28gb and i now have like only 14gb left of storage some games i don't play so I'm sure i can get that down if i was on the one x but no sd support for this phone is scary i wish google would release their google cloud service where we can save our games and apps to the cloud then i would have no trouble getting this phone if not i will either look into evo 4g lte on sprint or i will get the galaxy s3 when it comes out later this year.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Dropbox on the one x

    Theoretically, if you have the dropbox account set up to hold your photos, documents/pdf's, and even music if you wanted (or use the awesome Google Music or other streaming service for your entire collection), what will be going into our 9gigs of physcial storage anyway? I'm trying to figure that out. 2GB will be dedicated to my apps, which is perfectly fine (I'm only using 1GB on my atrix, even). So what's left that has to go to the 9GB storage remaining? When you take HD video with your phone, would it also sync to dropbox? If not, that would fill up the 9 gigs fast, but still...otherwise, I can't even think - in this hypothetical situation where the user fullly utilizes dropbox for everything he can as well as streaming music apps - what the 9 GB would be filled up with.


    edit: By the way, if you already have a dropbox account, is it going to be combined with the one I already have? Or is HTC's dropbox account going to make me create a new username/pw credentials to access my 25GB free? I was thinking it'd be nice to just use the one I already have and use, and then when the 2 yrs of free storage pass by, if I still have the phone, maybe my amount of storage space would just magically go back down?
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Dropbox on the one x

    Quote Originally Posted by Noble.Four View Post
    On what, though? Music? Photos? If you're on an iPhone I'd assume a lot of it is music. I'd suggest uploading your library to Google Music. There are plenty of cloud options available to keep physical storage use low.

    Rabble rabble rabble.

    WOW!!!! I didn't know about Google Music. I'm uploading my music to it now. Store 20,000 songs for free, not bad at all! This may sway my decision to get the One X. Is google music integrated into Android somehow?
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Dropbox on the one x

    Quote Originally Posted by CasinoK1D View Post
    WOW!!!! I didn't know about Google Music. I'm uploading my music to it now. Store 20,000 songs for free, not bad at all! This may sway my decision to get the One X. Is google music integrated into Android somehow?
    My question is, how do you access those 20,000 songs when fewer and fewer people are able to get unlimited data?
  12. #12  
    Noble.Four's Avatar

    Posts
    319 Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sedrick View Post
    My question is, how do you access those 20,000 songs when fewer and fewer people are able to get unlimited data?
    You can choose songs/albums to pin to your device which makes them available without streaming. Do that while you're at home on Wi-Fi, choose which music you want for the day. Then you can play it and whatnot. Unpin it and it stops taking up space on the device.

    Rabble rabble rabble.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Dropbox on the one x

    Quote Originally Posted by Noble.Four View Post
    You can choose songs/albums to pin to your device which makes them available without streaming. Do that while you're at home on Wi-Fi, choose which music you want for the day. Then you can play it and whatnot. Unpin it and it stops taking up space on the device.

    Rabble rabble rabble.
    Not everyone has time to constantly adjust music.

    Since my music collection isn't huge (2GB), it is much easier for all my music to be within the phone and not have to worry about the music and the data cap.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Dropbox on the one x

    Quote Originally Posted by Sedrick View Post
    My question is, how do you access those 20,000 songs when fewer and fewer people are able to get unlimited data?
    Google music isn't a streamer.

    Its a caching download player.

    Say your average 4 minute song takes about 8700KB. (8.7meg.)
    Play it once, you use 8.7meg of data. Play it 20 time you use 8.7meg of data.

    Play it and pin it (check Make available off line), or just play it frequently enough so it will stay in cache, you use 8.7meg for all time.

    You can pin entire albums, or playlists.

    You can make a selection to only use wifi when pinning for offline use. It will remember those you pinned and download them the next time you get on wifi.
  15. #15  
    Noble.Four's Avatar

    Posts
    319 Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndroidBlizzard View Post
    Not everyone has time to constantly adjust music.

    Since my music collection isn't huge (2GB), it is much easier for all my music to be within the phone and not have to worry about the music and the data cap.
    Okay. Then in that case, with such a small library, I don't see a problem keeping it all stored on the device. My idea with Google music and pinning was for people who have huge libraries of music.

    Rabble rabble rabble.
  16. #16  
    moosc's Avatar
    Grand Master Moosc

    Posts
    3,441 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,515 Global Posts
    ROM
    AKOP M4 old geezer theme

    Default Re: Dropbox on the one x

    I have over 300apps on my gnex and have only used 1.2gb of storage. Apps on android are smaller then on iOS apps
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Dropbox on the one x

    Not to cause a panic and by no means am i an official AT&T source (just an RSC), but from playing with our demo unit at the store, I actually am a bit concerned whether or not the AT&T version actually get's the free Dropbox storage. I haven't seen anything in the employee information they've given us and also the Dropbox app isn't even included in the apps pre-installed on the device. When I get back to work tomorrow I'll see if I can find anything, but it's odd I haven't heard anything from AT&T or HTC on that front. I would think it would be a good selling point for the phone though.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Dropbox on the one x

    Quote Originally Posted by Clcross18x View Post
    Not to cause a panic and by no means am i an official AT&T source (just an RSC), but from playing with our demo unit at the store, I actually am a bit concerned whether or not the AT&T version actually get's the free Dropbox storage. I haven't seen anything in the employee information they've given us and also the Dropbox app isn't even included in the apps pre-installed on the device. When I get back to work tomorrow I'll see if I can find anything, but it's odd I haven't heard anything from AT&T or HTC on that front. I would think it would be a good selling point for the phone though.
    This is terribly important for me, so please do come back & let us know what you find!


    Also, does anyone have an answer for this below?:

    Quote Originally Posted by jonneh View Post
    By the way, if you already have a dropbox account, is it going to be combined with the one I already have? Or is HTC's dropbox account going to make me create a new username/pw credentials to access my 25GB free? I was thinking it'd be nice to just use the one I already have and use, and then when the 2 yrs of free storage pass by, if I still have the phone, maybe my amount of storage space would just magically go back down?
  19. #19  

    Default

    Mine was combined. All you have to do is follow the steps, (refer a friend, etc) give your account name and you get an email saying your account is upgraded.

    Easypeasy.

    Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    Jonneh 
  20. #20  

    Default Re: Dropbox on the one x

    Is there a way to play music that I uploaded to dropbox dirctly with the stock music app that comes installed on the one x or do I need another app for streaming the music?
  21. #21  
    Tkbredx's Avatar

    Posts
    1,856 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,857 Global Posts
    ROM
    TeamSonicFreeGS3 v9.1

    Default Re: Dropbox on the one x

    Only 2 GB of apps installed on the device? I'll most likely have to get an SD card (I was probably getting one anyway). 2 GB's isnt enough for apps for me. I love apps!
  22. #22  
    Phil Nickinson's Avatar
    Android Central Editor in Chief

    Posts
    3,807 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,972 Global Posts

    Default Re: Dropbox on the one x

    If it's like the international One X (and I have no reason to believe this won't be the case), you can move apps to the 10GB partition.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Dropbox on the one x

    Quote Originally Posted by Tkbredx View Post
    Only 2 GB of apps installed on the device? I'll most likely have to get an SD card (I was probably getting one anyway). 2 GB's isnt enough for apps for me. I love apps!
    The One X does not have a SD card slot. The Sprint version of it (Evo 4g LTE) does, though.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: Dropbox on the one x

    Is it possible to stream music from dropbox to my one x with thr stock music player, that comes installed on the phone? or do I need another app for that?
  25. #25  
    Kevin O'Quinn's Avatar
    AC Team Emeritus

    Posts
    8,744 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,921 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Dropbox on the one x

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Nickinson View Post
    If it's like the international One X (and I have no reason to believe this won't be the case), you can move apps to the 10GB partition.
    ^^^THIS^^^

    Quote Originally Posted by garrim85 View Post
    The One X does not have a SD card slot. The Sprint version of it (Evo 4g LTE) does, though.
    ^^^ANSWERS THIS^^^ (well, what you quoted )

    Until we hear otherwise.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

B