Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree5Likes

Default Re: ATT version hands on.

My big concern is how I use my current phone. The Epic 4G, for the longest time, has been the PERFECT phone. The screen + the video codecs means I can use it to play movies while I'm at work. it will play any movie I throw on it. I usually catch up on my TV shows this way. I use every single bit of my 32GB SD card as well.

I know Samsung has been the only phone manufacturer to actually include the video codecs that it does. Usually to play h.264 MKV movies on phones, you have to convert them first. Not on Galaxy phones though. I also love the slideout keyboard.

Now I'm probably moving to the One X which has no storage space, probably no video codecs, and no slideout keyboard. There are NO decent phones with keyboards anymore so I've come to terms with that. Just worried about how I'll be able to use my phone to play movies going forward.

I'm sure there are adapters that allow you to use SD cards though. I have one for my tablet. When I went on vacation with my wife a few months ago, I loaded up all kinds of TV shows onto an SD card, plugged it into my tablet with my adapter, and we were able to watch them that way. It's not ideal... as having that adapter sticking out isn't always practical, but it will probably alleviate some of my misgivings about storage space when it comes to media. Just need to see if there is an adapter for micro USB slots.

Still can't wait to get my hands on it though... only way to know if I really want it or not.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,102 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by neoenigma View Post
    My big concern is how I use my current phone. The Epic 4G, for the longest time, has been the PERFECT phone. The screen + the video codecs means I can use it to play movies while I'm at work. it will play any movie I throw on it. I usually catch up on my TV shows this way. I use every single bit of my 32GB SD card as well.

I know Samsung has been the only phone manufacturer to actually include the video codecs that it does. Usually to play h.264 MKV movies on phones, you have to convert them first. Not on Galaxy phones though. I also love the slideout keyboard.

Now I'm probably moving to the One X which has no storage space, probably no video codecs, and no slideout keyboard. There are NO decent phones with keyboards anymore so I've come to terms with that. Just worried about how I'll be able to use my phone to play movies going forward.

I'm sure there are adapters that allow you to use SD cards though. I have one for my tablet. When I went on vacation with my wife a few months ago, I loaded up all kinds of TV shows onto an SD card, plugged it into my tablet with my adapter, and we were able to watch them that way. It's not ideal... as having that adapter sticking out isn't always practical, but it will probably alleviate some of my misgivings about storage space when it comes to media. Just need to see if there is an adapter for micro USB slots.

Still can't wait to get my hands on it though... only way to know if I really want it or not.
    A third party app might play the videos. Something like rockplayer?

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk 2
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by neoenigma View Post

Well seeing as you are a big fan of your Galaxy now, the good news is Samsung is giving their presser on the 3rd of May. That will give you a good gauge of which phone you would prefer. Not sure what time frame your looking at to get a phone, but if no rush then wait and see. You might find out the GS3 is the one for you.

Quote Originally Posted by tohio View Post
    Holding down the power button shuts the phone down? Wow that's amazing. Don't do much rooting huh? I would like to know how I can go into download mode or fast boot, etc. Some phones need a battery pull, button push and cable insertion to go into various booting options. This phone is getting less and less desirable the more I hear about it. Won't waste my time looking at it.
    Quickboot will let you reboot into any of those modes automatically, the app is old as dirt, one of the first ones I installed on my EVO. Holding down power and volume down will reboot in case of a hard lock, etc, battery pulls are for the ignorant.

Lack of storage is a valid complaint, as well as the inability to swap batteries. A sealed battery does make the phone slightly more secure tho, if someone finds it they can't quickly yank the battery out to prevent tracking. Not that I'd take that extra layer of security over being able to swap batteries, but at least there's an upside to the inconvenience.

Dunno why HTC couldn't build a microSD slot into the unibody, just make it one of those spring loaded affairs instead of a larger lid like the new EVO.
    Last edited by Impulses; 04-24-2012 at 06:35 PM.

Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    ROM
    Virtuous Unity

I also wonder how they couldn't fit a tiny micro sd card slot in that expansive 4.7 inch phone. They pretty much wasted a lot of space if you ask me.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123