Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Default Re: Can this rival the iPhone?

Quote Originally Posted by AndroidBlizzard View Post
    $199 instead of $399, much cheaper on contract.

Your logic still fails.
    How about HTC put a freakin' SD slot in there? How much extra would that cost? That's all we're asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Sedrick View Post
    How about HTC put a freakin' SD slot in there? How much extra would that cost? That's all we're asking.
    Erm, maybe because they don't want to, neither do google.

SD card slots actually slow the phone down.

HTC are offering cloud storage as an alternative, which doesn't slow the phone down, if it bothers you this much - don't get the phone.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

SD card storage does slow the phone down compared to flash memory inside the phone, but cloud storage is completely based on network connection. The write and read speeds of a micro SD are around 6 to 20 Mbs and It stays consistent. Therefore with strong Lte or wifi cloud storge can be faster but on 3g networks it will be slower and in really bad signal locations it is useless. Not to mention data limited plans

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjcks View Post
    Erm, maybe because they don't want to, neither do google.

SD card slots actually slow the phone down.

HTC are offering cloud storage as an alternative, which doesn't slow the phone down, if it bothers you this much - don't get the phone.

This is a forum to discuss the phone, not sit around and circle jerk about how much we love it. If you look around, there are plenty of people complaining about the lack of storage. Cloud storage is hardly an alternative, especially when AT&T doesn't have unlimited data plans. There are plenty of people (like me) who would gladly accept an SD card slot. If it slows the phone down, you wouldn't need to use it. But having the option is the sort of thing you'd expect in 2012.

Weren't there like 8 pages in this thread? Same thing in other threads, noticing the page count is smaller.

Global Posts
    3,643 Global Posts
    ROM
    unNamed v2.2.1

Having used all the smartphone platforms I end up switching when I get bored. And I get bored pretty easy. Currently I am loving the one x, I just switched from my Nokia Lumia 900, which was also a great phone. I love the screen on the one x. And I truly appreciate sense 4.0, I have also owned the Galaxy Nexus, HTC did a great job on this handset.

Quote Originally Posted by jsntrenkler View Post
    Having used all the smartphone platforms I end up switching when I get bored. And I get bored pretty easy. Currently I am loving the one x, I just switched from my Nokia Lumia 900, which was also a great phone. I love the screen on the one x. And I truly appreciate sense 4.0, I have also owned the Galaxy Nexus, HTC did a great job on this handset.

How do you like it compared to the galaxy nexus? Is it more responsive?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #83  

Quote Originally Posted by jsntrenkler View Post

I'm probably like you. Tried out the original Galaxy SII i777, Nexus and SkyRocket on AT&T. I get bored very easily with phones, but for some reason I keep going back to the damn iPhone lol. I think its the suport it has with my car stereo and all the cases I have lol.

I really want to move to Android for good. I like iOS and the feel it has but I want more customization out of my OS. I think the One X is a great device to begin a new relationship with Android.

Only complaints are the protruding camera lens and 16GB of memory on the AT&T version. I know the international version is an option but I'd like LTE.

Dark meadow tegra 3 version is far ahead of the iPhone version in terms of graphics quality, it really shows just how good the HOX tegra 3 international version can be for gaming.

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #85  

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjcks View Post
    Dark meadow tegra 3 version is far ahead of the iPhone version in terms of graphics quality, it really shows just how good the HOX tegra 3 international version can be for gaming.

I'd like to know if the Snapdragon S4 processor in the AT&T version is better than the A5 processor the iPhone 4S uses.

ROM
    Speed Rom Jellybean

Quote Originally Posted by Sedrick View Post
    Yeah, but with the iPhone, you can get as much memory as you need. The battery is so good, you don't need to replace it half way through the day.

Now, if the One X had that going for it, I'd be all over it.
    It's not about swapping a dead battery out for a fresh one. I tend to keep my phones for a very long time 2-3 years and will likely replace the battery in that time as it gets weaker. The battery life on my Amaze is excellent, will go 1-2 full days on one charge with frequent use.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #87  

Quote Originally Posted by blacksapphire08 View Post
    It's not about swapping a dead battery out for a fresh one. I tend to keep my phones for a very long time 2-3 years and will likely replace the battery in that time as it gets weaker. The battery life on my Amaze is excellent, will go 1-2 full days on one charge with frequent use.
    Yup. The iPhone may have the advantage on battery and storage but Apple has really gone down hill on quality. I decided to sell my original 4S then after deciding on wanting it again, I went through about 6 units. Bought an unlocked White 32GB and it was fine except for the vibrator which vibrated like something was wrong. Of course our friendly Apple Geniuses were completely dismissive. The second replacement suffered the exact same thing and Apple said, sorry nothing we're going to do. I then returned it and went on eBay and saved a lot of money and bough a brand new in the box 4S only to find out that one had a loose power button which rattled. Sent that to Apple only to get another with a very loose home button. Went back to the Apple store and they swapped it out with an even worse home button. I even showed the genius the demo units and how they didn't do that but he said all iPhones are different. I laughed and demanded another one. He finally gave in. The unit I have now is far from perfect. The home button seems a bit crooked but I'm not gonna worry about that. From day one I've seen a very noticeable speck of dust in the camera lens.

I also picked up a white 32GB and it was perfect except it had a light bleeding at the top which made anything light look like crap. So I'm sure its clear why I've had it with Apple. I plan on sending my current 4S to Apple for them to remove the speck of dust before I sell it and stick with my One X.

I think there's some points not made, I can tell you first hand that the 16gb iPhone outsells the other models at least 20 to 1 (or at least that's how it is where I am currently selling it and my surrounding market), I understand that people want the option to have more space but from a stand point from most consumers, they feel they don't need more than 16gb and will always purchase that version. Also if you are going to produce only one version of the device going with the version that will appeal to the largest group of people based on needs and an attractive price point is the way to do it. They do offer the cloud storage options to try to appease the heavier user when it comes to storage and I understand it is not a great fit for everyone but it is an option. If the One-X launched with 32gb and a $299 price point it would be priced out of the "average" consumer's target price point and would be a sales flop. (I do have a 32gb iPhone and I use more than 16gb and I preordered my One-X, I will make it work for such an awesome device, not to mention, I never even listen to the 8gb of music I hold on my device and use streaming services for everything and there are wifi options close to everywhere)

Something also not mentioned on here but is something I find important to me is that Android allows me to customize the home screens which makes the device much more aesthetically pleasing to me. My iphone is nothing but screens of blocks, but with my androids using things like Beautiful Widgets and so forth I get all my information (news, social media, weather, Android Central, and so forth) right from one of my home screens without having to launch any apps and keeping a nice clean look. I know that is something that falls under just general Android vs. iPhone but it's something that is important to me and the customization that Sense uses definitely makes it more aesthetically pleasing (at least in my opinion) over even other androids

Quote Originally Posted by MattMJB0188 View Post
    Yup. The iPhone may have the advantage on battery and storage but Apple has really gone down hill on quality. I decided to sell my original 4S then after deciding on wanting it again, I went through about 6 units. Bought an unlocked White 32GB and it was fine except for the vibrator which vibrated like something was wrong. Of course our friendly Apple Geniuses were completely dismissive. The second replacement suffered the exact same thing and Apple said, sorry nothing we're going to do. I then returned it and went on eBay and saved a lot of money and bough a brand new in the box 4S only to find out that one had a loose power button which rattled. Sent that to Apple only to get another with a very loose home button. Went back to the Apple store and they swapped it out with an even worse home button. I even showed the genius the demo units and how they didn't do that but he said all iPhones are different. I laughed and demanded another one. He finally gave in. The unit I have now is far from perfect. The home button seems a bit crooked but I'm not gonna worry about that. From day one I've seen a very noticeable speck of dust in the camera lens.

I also picked up a white 32GB and it was perfect except it had a light bleeding at the top which made anything light look like crap. So I'm sure its clear why I've had it with Apple. I plan on sending my current 4S to Apple for them to remove the speck of dust before I sell it and stick with my One X.
    I have a feeling you are the kind of customer apple wont mind losing.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #90  

Probably, but who would live with all those defects?

Quote Originally Posted by garment69 View Post
    I have a feeling you are the kind of customer apple wont mind losing.
    Apples don't have customers, they have sheep.
    AC Team Emeritus

Global Posts
    9,164 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I'd like to know if the Snapdragon S4 processor in the AT&T version is better than the A5 processor the iPhone 4S uses.
    Yes it is.

Quote Originally Posted by snoopyandroid View Post
    Apples don't have customers, they have sheep.
    Stay on topic please.
    Kevin F.I.M.T.K. O'Quinn Esq.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post

Stay on topic please.

It should be, the a5 is a dual core a9 that was first released march 2011 on the iPad, the s4 is a dual core a15 and the one x is the first device released featuring it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Quinn View Post
    Yes it is.

Could not agree more

Probably, but who would live with all those defects?
    Exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by AndroidBlizzard View Post
    Could not agree more
    It absolutely is a better processor. Much more efficient and faster. It isn't just a little faster either. It's significantly faster.

Banned

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by maverick96 View Post
    It absolutely is a better processor. Much more efficient and faster. It isn't just a little faster either. It's significantly faster.

Not quite. The A5 is a cousin of the Exynos, and its a beast of a processor. It is just as powerful as the S4, but it isn't as efficient because of the A9 cores.

Its also inappropriate to compare two different processors running different operating systems. Even if there is a difference, the user will never notice because there is nothing to compare them to.

Global Posts
    4,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock on all

S4 is far more advanced than A5 for sure. But Apple isn't known for the cutting edge generally.
    Banned

Global Posts
    3,706 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Speedygi View Post
    S4 is far more advanced than A5 for sure. But Apple isn't known for the cutting edge generally.
    No. It is at most a generational step forward.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast