Can this rival the iPhone?

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Will I be wrong in saying that the HTC One X will still be a better phone overall than the iPhone even after iPhone 5 is released or any Android phone this year for that matter? I just don't see how this hardware can be matched for at least one more year. The display resolution is kind of maxed out for a device this size. The dual core S4 is plenty fast while having great battery life. The only knock on the 1X will be its 16GB storage size.

Its hard to say. We have no idea what Apple has planned, besides LTE. There's also the issue that certain specs (processor) don't matter as much for iOS devices because of OS-level differences. From the rumors we have so far, the iPhone is moving back to a metal case (one up on the One X for materials), with a bigger, possibly higher resolution screen (perhaps tying, if not slightly up on the One X), better camera (definitely better than the One X), and a revamped OS (this one's all a matter of taste/preferences).

At best, they're tied. At worst the iphone ends up slightly ahead.

blckz28

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I believe the reason Android phones don't have the staying power is all based on lack of advertising. Apple is the best at it. They are constantly running adds even when the product is a year old. Look at when the original Evo came out. It was a big success and Sprint advertised the hell out of it. They built up the hype and they didn't just stop with the commercials after a month. Same thing with when Verizon did the Droid campaign. The people that weren't hard-core phone geeks started calling every Android phone a Droid because of the commercials done by Verizon. If HTC wants the One to have long term sales dominance they need to put in some advertising dollars. Make new commercials and put them out throughout the year. Keep people talking about it.

Reactions: JkdJedi

Tansen

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I think even currently available android phones can rival the iphone 4, which is why many people have these android phones. The One X will only set the bar even higher. I'm probably going to pick one up in a few days, As I use functionality of android way too much to ever go back to iOS. I think they are targeting somewhat different audiences, but they are slowly going to converge. Probably a year from now they will be on equal footing, we'll see how that goes.

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
You people are crazy. NOTHING can rival the iPhones for people who want an iPhones. You know what still sells even though it's a hunk of junk? The iPhone 3GS.

Hardware will almost never ever do anything for people. Commercials do. Until HTC starts pumping out advertising, no one's mind is going to change.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
What is u talkin bout lol android has the market share apple has the lawsuits lol they takin the pu pu way and suing people for stupid patents but niw i hear the new ios 5 will have a "brand new" pull down notification bar lol me personally ill never ever spend my hard earned money on an Apple product

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

delta7

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
What is u talkin bout lol android has the market share apple has the lawsuits lol they takin the pu pu way and suing people for stupid patents but niw i hear the new ios 5 will have a "brand new" pull down notification bar lol me personally ill never ever spend my hard earned money on an Apple product

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

IOS 6 you mean, IOS 5 is out already.

As stale as IOS is, it just works very smoothly combined with alot of apps and good hardware. I don't see any android phone taking over IOS at all.

chrisjcks

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
IOS 6 you mean, IOS 5 is out already.

As stale as IOS is, it just works very smoothly combined with alot of apps and good hardware. I don't see any android phone taking over IOS at all.

IOS has got nothing on android,

Customization is what people want, they want their phone unique to their own style, not how apple say.

Imagine having a phone that doesn't look exactly like everyone else's - wow! Lol

IOS is Sooo limited, can't even send an mp3 via Bluetooth, no widgits, no home screens, & there is virtually no multi-tasking either!

Apple make such a big deal for any 'copying', & then copy quite a lot in IOS5, it's not just the direct copy of androids notification bar, they have added a weather widgit to their notification bar too, added OTA updates, added an independent background download service, added the imessage service, added the split ergonomic keyboard, WiFi sync - I could go on, but these are all copied from other platforms! (Windows, Android & blackberry)

Also funny how people think apple created touch screen phones & an appstore too - all done before! (admittedly not as good, but the products were still all out there)

Same with tablets, apple didn't invent these - they just created the ipad, there is a difference!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Speedygi

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site

Customization is what people want, they want their phone unique to their own style, not how apple say.

Imagine having a phone that doesn't look exactly like everyone else's - wow! Lol

IOS is Sooo limited, can't even send an mp3 via Bluetooth, no widgits, no home screens, & there is virtually no multi-tasking either!

Apple make such a big deal for any 'copying', & then copy quite a lot in IOS5, it's not just the direct copy of androids notification bar, they have added a weather widgit to their notification bar too, added OTA updates, added an independent background download service, added the imessage service, added the split ergonomic keyboard, WiFi sync - I could go on, but these are all copied from other platforms! (Windows, Android & blackberry)

Also funny how people think apple created touch screen phones & an appstore too - all done before! (admittedly not as good, but the products were still all out there)

Same with tablets, apple didn't invent these - they just created the ipad, there is a difference!

Not everyone wants customisation , I'm pretty sure of that. Some non techy people just want something simple and yet goes the full nine yards. Not unusual, but in an Android forum it could be haha...

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Let us put this to bed. YES, the one X is finally a device that rivals the 4S. Bar none. Sure, the one X is much cheaper to manufacture, but it is only in materials. The OS, and the chips/camera/screen are pretty close. As far as one trumping the other by flying buttresses? Leaps and bounds? Blowing the other out of the water? Please, that is for blind fanisms...They both rock, I like them both, and I would be happy to call either a daily driver (Who in the world says that?) lol.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

Definitely know who you root for ; ) loud and clear:p

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Well, honestly, the 4s will appear to be faster in most everything because of the OS differences. That's more what's was getting at. You can't really compare them because of how different the OSes are.

It has a ton to do with optimization. Sure, games on the 4S are sick wicked. But they are optimized to be. hardware is half of it, and the S4 Procs are a beast. Question is, how optimized is EVERYTHING? Huh? Yeah. Will it be supported for 3 years? Doubt it.

Speedygi

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
With the current Android infrastructure, we could only optimize games to the chipsets. As for everything else, we would just have to keep to the "middle three lanes" as usual for Android development.

One thing I do hope for is this: more high res games to take advantage of handsets like the Rezound and the One X.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
With the current Android infrastructure, we could only optimize games to the chipsets. As for everything else, we would just have to keep to the "middle three lanes" as usual for Android development.

One thing I do hope for is this: more high res games to take advantage of handsets like the Rezound and the One X.

Yup. I like the idea of tegrazone games eclusively for their devices. God, I wish those would play well with LTE. You think there could be a S4 store opening? he he

woodydog

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums yes it can rival the iPhone I'm selling my 32gig 4s. This phone is awesome everything I wanted the 4s to be

bob13bob

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Android had become too splintered. HTC Samsung have realized this and are concentrated on less released but better phones. Google will have to get carriers paws off android is just like apple did. Carriers fuk everything up.

4s is last Gen. New iPhone coming out that will have to be competed against. 3.5 inch is so outdated for size of device.

sent from one of my 4 gold leafed iphone 4s's

lkbig

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I went from hardcore pc to a 3-year stint as an apple fan boy and came back to pc. Here are my 2 cents.

As stupid and cliche as it sounds, Apple stuff just works. Apple has UX and UI in the bag. The vast majority of people don't have the time or energy to invest in tinkering with gadgets. We as members of this forum are a niche group of people that in many ways are out of touch with the rest of the world. We do have time and energy to ticker with stuff. Our passion drives us. Most people are not like us. So before we get off on our own elitist attitudes let's remember that.

Second, for those people that are already in the Apple world, it is easiest for them to stay there. The time and energy it would take to transfer their digital lives to a new paradigm is too much for most of them. Try imagining switching all your stuff to windows phone and hotmail...same diff as ios coming to android except the win 7 ui is arguably more aesthically pleasing.

Finally, as superficial as it may seem, there is a lot to be said about apple stuff being pretty. When people switch to mac there is a fluidity and grace that creates spikes of dopamine. Yeah, there is a bit of a learning curve, but once you get over that, the design is beautiful and enticing. You can't argue with the statistics. People are rapidly moving to Apple products. A lot of that is how macs look. There is a perception among common folk that somehow macs are better than PCs and if they could afford one they would buy one. Macs to them are the top tier machine. Yes it is all marketing and one could argue specs but most people couldn't give a darn about specs. That's the brutal truth.

Ok. That's enough of my soapbox. Thumbs are sore.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

anon(153966)

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
With the current battery times the HTC One X is offering with general to moderate use, I believe it can rival the iPhone.

The reason I stayed away from returning to Android was because of the terrible life. I need at a minimum 14 hours, period...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000