Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How visible is One X notification light?

I've seen a couple of pics of the notification light in the speaker grill, and the thing looks tiny and almost impossible to see. How is it in practice? Worthless? I usually have my phone sitting on my desk... it would be nice if the notification LED was bright and visible enough that I could see it.

Currently I have a Sony Xperia Ray which has a pretty visible notification light. But nothing matches the old Blackberry LEDs. Those things always caught my eye. I must admit, that is the one thing about Blackberry that I miss... quality notification LEDs.
    Android Central Editor in Chief

Global Posts
    4,102 Global Posts

Default Re: How visible is One X notification light?

It's surprisingly visible, actually. Nicely designed.
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks for the response. I think I'm going to pre-order one. Now just gotta decided on white versus grey.

Global Posts
    561 Global Posts

It's pretty visible but its no blackberry led.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Very bright & visible, you have nothing to worry about.

Flashing red when low battery
    Solid green when charged
    Flashing green on notification

Phil.. As the expert here, I'm wondering if you could provide feedback where battery life (in an LTE area), camera lens scratching, data storage and overall quality are concerned. I've been investigating several devices (Skyrocket Note, Vivid and One X) and Samsung devices while nice, seem to be filled with many issues. The Vivid seems OK but the screen seems mediocre and battery life doesn't seem to be great.

I played with the OneX at the ATT store and thought it was nice, but am concerned about the things mentioned. Obviously am going to wait to see what Samsung announces next week too, though I really don't want to wait 4 or 5 months for ATT to get the new GS3.

Thanks.

in your opinion, Is the screen to big or is it okay?

Quote Originally Posted by chrikenn View Post
    I've seen a couple of pics of the notification light in the speaker grill, and the thing looks tiny and almost impossible to see. How is it in practice? Worthless? I usually have my phone sitting on my desk... it would be nice if the notification LED was bright and visible enough that I could see it.

Currently I have a Sony Xperia Ray which has a pretty visible notification light. But nothing matches the old Blackberry LEDs. Those things always caught my eye. I must admit, that is the one thing about Blackberry that I miss... quality notification LEDs.
    Here is a pic in a dull (not dark) room, it shows my HOX on charge & the solid green light means fully charged.

As you can see, pretty bright.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:

The led notification is Very visible.

After 10 days still no scratches yet. I got a transparent tourmate casing.

Coming from nokia n8 i have very low expectation on hox battery life, but as a big smartphone it surpassed a day mark with constant touching.

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk 2
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjcks View Post
    Here is a pic in a dull (not dark) room, it shows my HOX on charge & the solid green light means fully charged.

As you can see, pretty bright.

Click to view quoted image

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
    Thanks for the pic, dude. That looks pretty good. About as good as any LED I've seen on an Android.

Yes that notification light is plenty bright.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by maverick96 View Post
    Yes that notification light is plenty bright.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Its Bright, but the viewing Angle isn't all that great. But then I came from a Nexus One, with that big glowing track ball.

Image taken in daylight at three different angles, low angle to high angle (topmost). You can see that its hard to see the LED when the phone is sitting on the desk unless you are looking at it from within 20-30 degrees of head on. Not because its dim, but because its recessed.

Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    ROM
    Thundershed 1.5

Looks bright enough, but will the light stay on for longer than three minutes when you have a notification? That's one of the main reasons why I stick to AOSP Roms on my TBolt

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Is it customisable by means of light flow??

Quote Originally Posted by datboicastro View Post
    Is it customisable by means of light flow??
    No. Colors are fixed.

Solid Red = Charging,
    Green solid = charged.
    Red Blinking = needs charge.
    Green Blinking = notification pending.

It blinks till you wake the phone and check it.

Some apps, (like K-9 Mail) allow you to set specific colors, but when I do this I get no blinking at all from this phone.
    Last edited by icebike; 04-29-2012 at 08:49 PM.
    Thanked by:
    cubez 

Quote Originally Posted by icebike View Post
    No. Colors are fixed.

Solid Red = Charging,
    Green solid = charged.
    Red Blinking = needs charge.
    Green Blinking = notification pending.

It blinks till you wake the phone and check it.

Some apps, (like K-9 Mail) allow you to set specific colors, but when I do this I get no blinking at all from this phone.
    What?? Certainly it can show more than 2 colors. Maybe Light Flow just hasn't added support for it yet?

Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

Quote Originally Posted by jdot104 View Post
    What?? Certainly it can show more than 2 colors. Maybe Light Flow just hasn't added support for it yet?
    Not really. HTC notification lights typically just do red, orange, and green. Some combination of them. They don't do the full range of colors.

Rabble rabble rabble.

Quote Originally Posted by Noble.Four View Post
    Not really. HTC notification lights typically just do red, orange, and green. Some combination of them. They don't do the full range of colors.

Rabble rabble rabble.
    *sigh*

I'm finding it harder and harder to stick by the One X these days. I'm hoping that once I get to use it I'll be pleased but I ignored the lack of storage and the battery. Now there are so many little things beginning to bug me and I don't even have the phone yet! I know no device is perfect but 3 colors?? And it appears it doesn't even stay on for long.

*sigh*

I'm finding it harder and harder to stick by the One X these days. I'm hoping that once I get to use it I'll be pleased but I ignored the lack of storage and the battery. Now there are so many little things beginning to bug me and I don't even have the phone yet! I know no device is perfect but 3 colors?? And it appears it doesn't even stay on for long.
    Well you can stop worrying about batteries since 1.28 software was released. I now routinely get 20 hours on my international version. Have had as high as 28 hours. Nobody who actually has the phone worries about battery after the first week of intensive exploration use.

And the international version has 32 gig. As well as no useless LTE radios.

And the color of the notification light!! Really!? That's going to drive you away from the best phone on the market today?? Really?

Come on. At least get your hands on the phone before you fixate on tiny issues.

Well you can stop worrying about batteries since 1.28 software was released. I now routinely get 20 hours on my international version. Have had as high as 28 hours. Nobody who actually has the phone worries about battery after the first week of intensive exploration use.

And the color of the notification light!! Really!? That's going to drive you away from the best phone on the market today?? Really?

Holy smokes that is some awesome battery time you are getting. Hurry up AT&T and push this out to us.

Haha no, it won't deter me from actually picking it up. I was a little annoyed when I first read it. I am a little picky about the notification light, but it was really the abundance of smaller issues that were making me reconsider the larger ones. I've seen enough talk about the battery to quell any fears I had about it not lasting.

To answer the question, the answer is "not very." OP wasn't asking how bright it is, he was asking about it's visibility. When my phone is sitting on my desk, I can't see the light blinking, I have to pick it up and look at the light. While not the worst thing ever, I would like a better viewing angle out of the status light. It's not the end of the world, just a note.

By the way, I get pretty good battery life, regularly getting ~3 hours of screen-on time.

*sigh*

Sounds like you are looking for a reason(s) to not buy it. Picking a nit IMO

so the One X only uses red and green notification lights right? Is it possible to customize those e.g. within the Whatsapp settings?

Coming from a BlackBerry, the notification light on the One X sucks. Arguably the worst feature on the phone. It's way too small and not nearly bright enough. If you have any sort of glare coming off the phone, say for example if it's sitting by a window, it's extremely hard to see. Not to mention the fact notifications are only one color. Annnd, when charging, the light stays constantly red and does not notify you at all. #fail
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast